hazing/misconduct

I just read Dave's apology tonight as well, and after spending two full weeks with them at their training camp, I can assure you that the BC director and director of operations, attemp to run a very tight ship. However if someone needs a babysitter, perhaps they should stay home with their mommy.

Nicely stated.

As a father I observed the Bluecoats Nov 07 audition camp. They run a professional organization, and I took the time to talk with Dave since my son would be potentially be marching for him. He came across as a first rate person with his priorities in the right place.

I don't care that organizations have problems, they all do. What I care about is how the problems are dealt with. I think the situation was dealt with as best it could be, and I would expect it will be handled in advance for the next season.

That's about all one can do.

As far as I have seen Drum Corps has cleaned up its act in the last decade a lot. Even though most would not want to admit it, the fact of the matter is that drugs sex and drinking went on for a long time in drum corps back in the day. Come on.... Come on.... The 70's, the 80's? Duh. Here is the deal though, I personally don't see much of that going on anymore. Drum Corps has become a much more responsible activity and the kids are well taken care of. Besides, these days with 15 hour rehearsals and constant physical demand there is no time for this type of misconduct. There is no time for it. Also, I think most corps have a 0 tollerance for it. Didn't they send home a bunch of kids last summer from BD for smoking Pot? The Blue Devils. They did indeed. Thats what I'm saying. That is the standard now. I still believe that staff needs to have more detailed background checks. I have a lot of respect for what drum corps has become when talking about these issues. It's a clean activity for the most part.

Sorry, but this is a thread about the UW band.

Well, if that's the case, then this thread needs to be closed because it's not a World Class discussion.

:tongue:

WVU80,

I would respectfully request that you not make assumptions about the quality and limitations of others lives based on scanty information. When I marched the drinking age was 18 (until 1986) so there was no real issue of underage drinking. Secondly a little background, I grew up in Germany where beer is food “flüssig Brot”, there is no vice or stigma attached to its consumption and in fact as children we were routinely given “kinder bier”, a very low alcohol beverage that in my opinion is FAR healthier than any soda that roly-poly American kids consume. By the time I was a teenager I understood the effects and responsibilities of alcohol use and most importantly did not regard its consumption as taboo…I could enjoy it anytime I wanted so there was no burning desire to drink myself into a comatose state at every opportunity. I, for one, do not drink to prove anything to anyone and furthermore, I don’t believe that anybody has made the case that alcohol is the sole mechanism for creating camaraderie, simply that it is not the root of all evil and for better or worse continues to be an integral part of our western culture.

Tschüss,

Double post.

One of the best posts I have ever read on DCP.

. Imagine sending YOUR daughter or your sister off to a band performance knowing a few morons will be speaking to her that way or forcing her to "demonstrate her abilities" in order to be considered "cool" by them.

NOT cool.

Exactly. My opinion on this type of stuff has changed drastically since having children. If my daughter was ever put in that position and I found out about it the corps/band administration would be sitting down for a nice meeting with me and a couple of lawyers.

Exactly. My opinion on this type of stuff has changed drastically since having children. If my daughter was ever put in that position and I found out about it the corps/band administration would be sitting down for a nice meeting with me and a couple of lawyers.

agreed!

Edited by Shannon98

Roly-poly kids. I like that term.

That was one of the contributing factors to making it a great post.

• 9 years later...

Bringing this thread back.  There’s a real disturbing post I read on reddit just now.  After reading, I was so disheartened (and angry) to read about the experience the person had during their time as a member of the Blue Stars.  The person posting was confirmed as being a former member.  I’m glad Brad Furlano has attempted to reach out.  Then others started to add on to negative experiences they dealt with. Still in these times and what the activity is currently dealing with, I would not want anyone to go through such a negative experience.  Sure it’s reddit and you take it with a grain of salt, but still one true story is one too many.  We’ve had some lively debates recently about competitiveness, being macho, or to toughen up and stop being a “snowflake.”  Remember to be good to one another out there.  I for one am thankful we have another season of dedicated young individuals who are working hard to make their mark to add on to the history of this great activity.  

Edited by Whiskey
  • Like 3