Which Corps Are Using Synthesizers

Yes, it is. Reading people complaining before one note has been heard is very depressing...yet I guess to be expected here. Very sad.

LOL.

Most bands that use electronics are horrible. . .so we don't have much precedent set for a real positive experience with electronics.

Of course, Barnum and Bailey's and DCI could merge and you'd think it was a great idea. . . :thumbup:

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt any corps are going to use electronics in a way to purposefully tick anyone off. They'll be used in a tasteful and artistic manner, and they'll only add to the overall product. Drum corps is an idiom that is ripe with potential for artistic experimentation, and such experimentation needs to be encouraged. Who knows what kind of possibilities lie ahead? It's ok if people don't like it; they are wholly entitled to their opinions. Doesn't make them lesser people...it just makes them people.

Most bands that use electronics are horrible. . .

Most bands that use hornlines are horrible

Most bands that use drumlines are horrible

Most bands that use a guard are horrible

The vast majority of bands out there are not something I would ever pay to see. But I pay to see DCI every year. Let's stop worrying about what Podunk HS from Bumsville, NC did with electronics; it's totally irrelevant to what you'll see on the field next summer.

so we don't have much precedent set for a real positive experience with electronics.

Sure we do. Bands like Ronald Reagan, Plymouth-Canton and Carmel have all used electronics in successful and popular shows. These are the type of high-caliber of programs that share designers and instructors with DCI.

Most bands that use electronics are horrible. . .so we don't have much precedent set for a real positive experience with electronics.

woah. i don't know about that.

Almost every band now a days using electronics and there are a lot of them that utilize it very well.

But again we are talking about bands and not drum corps.

Totally different.

Oh- just heard from a confidential source that INT will be using keyboards next year. :thumbup:

I've got news for you, Bucky. INT was using a synthesizer this year, but no one noticed due to the distraction from the trapeze act during the drum solo. And that includes the music judges.

As PR director for INT, I can assure you the corps will always be ahead of the curve, and if not ahead of it, at least rounding it on the inside, setting up for a passing of those corps who don't see us in their rearview mirror. The checkered flag is not the end, only the beginning. We'll blow out all the carbon and...well, you get the point.

Most bands that use hornlines are horrible

Most bands that use drumlines are horrible

Most bands that use a guard are horrible

The vast majority of bands out there are not something I would ever pay to see. But I pay to see DCI every year. Let's stop worrying about what Podunk HS from Bumsville, NC did with electronics; it's totally irrelevant to what you'll see on the field next summer.

It's not "irrelevant" to assume that it won't be much of a stretch from what BOA Grand Nationals will be like . . .that is to say, something I'm not real interested in seeing. You're right, I pay to see DCI each summer, not BOA minus woodwinds. :thumbup:

Considering that amount of crossover between circuits now, I think it's pretty valid to look at most band programs (yes, including precious BOA) and see where the parallels lie.

Sure we do. Bands like Ronald Reagan, Plymouth-Canton and Carmel have all used electronics in successful and popular shows. These are the type of high-caliber of programs that share designers and instructors with DCI.

Popular to whom? You, as a former alumni of Carmel? Band directors? Electronics and synth manufacturers?

Yes, they all "share" instructors . . .now they can share show concepts, too, without much thought. One homogeneous, bland sub-niche, with amplification and electronics for all.

Good for you that you came from that type of program that could buy Saucedo and others talents and are such progressives within our little world. . . but those of us who went to Podunk High are gonna need some more convincing. :thumbup:

Popular to whom? You, as a former alumni of Carmel? Band directors? Electronics and synth manufacturers?

Yes to all three. But most importantly, popular to those of marching age. I saw Ronald Reagan's 2003 live at Nationals, and the crowd response was tremendous. That's a school that typically uses plenty of synth in their shows, and kids love them. check out the comments left behind on YouTube or Google Video for these type of shows; even the Cy Falls video someone posted a few days ago with the electric strings drew plenty of positive comments.

Yes, they all "share" instructors . . .now they can share show concepts, too, without much thought. One homogeneous, bland sub-niche, with amplification and electronics for all.

Electronics have never been necessary for sharing concepts, or even design ideas - that's something that's occurred throughout the history of these two activities. You know that section of seemingly every show where the corps puts their horns down and dances? That didn't start with corps. Maybe you consider that part of the problem as well, but if you want to take this path then the use of electronics becomes just a symptom and not a cause.

Good for you that you came from that type of program that could buy Saucedo and others talents and are such progressives within our little world. . . but those of us who went to Podunk High are gonna need some more convincing. :thumbup:

I was very, very lucky to be a part of a program that got to compete at the highest level. One of the perks was that each year I got to see some of the best high school shows in the nation. If you haven't seen some of these shows, then I would suggest that you should; you're web-savvy enough to know how to do that. Claiming ignorance of these shows isn't a smart move when you also claim "Most bands that use electronics are horrible. . .so we don't have much precedent set for a real positive experience with electronics." That precedence is indeed out there.

Yes to all three. But most importantly, popular to those of marching age. I saw Ronald Reagan's 2003 live at Nationals, and the crowd response was tremendous. That's a school that typically uses plenty of synth in their shows, and kids love them. check out the comments left behind on YouTube or Google Video for these type of shows; even the Cy Falls video someone posted a few days ago with the electric strings drew plenty of positive comments.

That's well and good for those kids that have been preconditioned to like those sort of things . . .of course, then again, YouTube isn't exactly known for having the greatest wealth of commentary besides "OMG, u guyz wr so GOOOD". If I'm supposed to take a fifteen year olds ringing endorsement of electronics as some sort of universal acceptance, then I guess you made your point there. :thumbup:

Electronics have never been necessary for sharing concepts, or even design ideas - that's something that's occurred throughout the history of these two activities. You know that section of seemingly every show where the corps puts their horns down and dances? That didn't start with corps. Maybe you consider that part of the problem as well, but if you want to take this path then the use of electronics becomes just a symptom and not a cause.

Yeah, and that is, indeed, part of the problem. There seems to be a creative laziness now at some level . . .to take what worked with your winter drumline and just write a brass book for it. Creativity in using different number of performers, or different kinds of music, or anything else falls by the wayside. Everyone finds a new "safe" composer of the moment (Whitacre, Daughtry, etc) and beats it to death at each circuit level. There's a million and one different things that folks can put on the field . . .but in this new music educationtastic world, it's all about what works at a wind ensemble level.

I was very, very lucky to be a part of a program that got to compete at the highest level. One of the perks was that each year I got to see some of the best high school shows in the nation. If you haven't seen some of these shows, then I would suggest that you should; you're web-savvy enough to know how to do that. Claiming ignorance of these shows isn't a smart move when you also claim "Most bands that use electronics are horrible. . .so we don't have much precedent set for a real positive experience with electronics." That precedence is indeed out there.

I've seen plenty of these shows through BOA regionals and through it's pay-per-view service; I don't believe in speaking in absolutes unless I have some frame of reference to speak from. However, what I draw from every use of electronics at a BOA level comes off as either covering the fact the kids lack endurance/techincal skill, or is added as little more than corny atmosphere.

Time after time here, I've started thread after thread to say "Hey, what are some shows that use electronics innovatively?", and it either devolves into the usual arguments or no one really gives specifics as to say "This is a game changer. This is something that is head and shoulders above what we could have done years previous without electronics."

Where are these shows? Specifically, what unit and what show year pushes beyond the usual poor usage that I've seen from everyone from Podunk to some Grand Nat participants?

Furthermore, even though I have disagreed with electronics passing, I'm not totally against the concept of it on the field if it's done well. I've always needed convincing that this is a good thing beyond a poorly worded .pdf from George Hopkins. I never have gotten it.

Help us out with that. You may be one of the converted, but I can assure you that some of us are going to need some specifics as a point-of-reference to see this as a good thing. So, if those specific shows are "out there", point me to them. :thumbup:

I remember seeing Ronald Reagan live at Nationals in 2003 also. I believe I first saw it in prelims, after a string of shows that kinda bored me and lost my attention. When this came on the field, they had me cheering on my feet before they finished the last note. If a drum corps can do this next summer, even with electronics, then they did their job and I'm not going to complain.