When did guards go co-ed?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garfield added a male in 87, not 88. Anton (i think) - the guy doing huge split leaps during Appalachian Spring. :rolleyes:

I'd forgotton about him...similar to Regiment 05, actually....the following year more guys joined (although fewer in Regiment 06 than Garifield 88)

You make a good point Greg, actually, There were other corps like the Milford Shoreliners who had a male rifle soloist as early as 1968.

"Shoreliners Rifle Soloist":

It's been a while, but I believe that this guy ("Skip"?) was "Originally" from the Parish drum corps at St Raphael's church in Bridgeport. He marched with the Buccaneers in 1966, although the Bucc's had an all boys corps by then, the girls guard having been folded after 1962.

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

... and one could argue if the purpose of an alumni corps/tribute corps is to re-create the style and traditions of a corps from the past, it seems completely reasonable that if that corps had an all-girl guard in the past, that they should be free to carry on with that tradition as long as their leadership and membership wants it that way.

Yep. Georgie L was pretty clear on that.

WHFOB, TAOTE!!!

Garfield added a male in 87, not 88. Anton (i think) - the guy doing huge split leaps during Appalachian Spring. :rolleyes:

I think his name was Wesley.

I think his name was Wesley.

twas :tongue:

"Shoreliners Rifle Soloist":

It's been a while, but I believe that this guy ("Skip"?) was "Originally" from the Parish drum corps at St Raphael's church in Bridgeport. He marched with the Buccaneers in 1966, although the Bucc's had an all boys corps by then, the girls guard having been folded after 1962.

Just a thought. :tongue:

Elphaba

The name Skip Olah comes to mind...might this be the person's name?

The name Skip Olah comes to mind...might this be the person's name?

Yes. For Sure. He could toss that regulation M1 up flawlessly. The urban myth is he'd make the toss, light a cigarette, smoke it, put it out, stick his hands out and the rifle would just be there - SMACK - all that and not lose one iota of military bearing.

Puppet

Yes. For Sure. He could toss that regulation M1 up flawlessly. The urban myth is he'd make the toss, light a cigarette, smoke it, put it out, stick his hands out and the rifle would just be there - SMACK - all that and not lose one iota of military bearing.

Puppet

He was amazing...I saw him quite a few times. I don't think I ever saw him miss a catch.

There was another guy by the name of Duke who was with the Sunrisers who was the originator of the high M1 rifle toss. I didn't mention him before though because he was in senior corps and the Sunrisers were all male at that time. The Sunrisers btw, were the first senior corps to have girls in 1969 after their male guard walked out.