2010/2011 DCA Championship Bids Now Accepted

thank you Gary ~ you just backed up what i was trying to say! :rolleyes:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok...since Tom gets the info from the Rachacha folks....let's ask ourselves a question.

why would they lie...what's in it for them?

nothing. Scranton released this info too, and I believe back in the RAMD days, Allentown did too.

these convention and tourism folks do this for a living guys, and since it does involve tax impact on the region, it's probably pretty identifiable.

this isn't like DCI saying they had 400,000 people attend events in 2007, counting paid fans, freebies and sponsors.

these convention and tourism folks do this for a living guys, and since it does involve tax impact on the region, it's probably pretty identifiable.

Absolutely. Whatever the exact numbers figure is, Tom's right....a whole bunch of people are in a given town for a given DCA championship weekend, and they spend a whole bunch of money.

Fran

the figure basically is designed by the tourism people to include EVERYTHING that is impacted... that would include such obsure things as paid security, Rochester's share of air fares, car rentals, gas... yes it's all statistics but trust me, these people know what they're doing and as someone said - have no reason to not be accurate... estimates account for the wide margin of error given (8 to 12 million)

and yes... I was counting all who reserve a room through DCA and that's as I said, a huge figure... some alumni corps have over 100 rooms booked per day... the hall of fame has a large block... it adds up... I actually have the list... with names ... it was just shy of 6000 room nights.

my only question is - why would anyone question this??? bewildering to me???

figures are absolutely accurate - you questions and comments are not...

ok guys

you can make light of this... but this is important stuff... the impact figures came from the Visit Rochester, City of Rochester and Monroe County people... it is real... 8 to 12 million - believe me - they know how to calculate that stuff very closely.

The hotels rooms are FACT... The corps booked for their people and DCA booked for the judges and officials just a few rooms under 6000 room nights... That is how these convention people count things... room nights... if you booked a room for 4 nights it's 4 room nights. That figure is the figure of rooms RESERVED almost a year in advance by DCA Officially. The only way a fan would be counted in that figure is if they have been included in a corps' block. It is primarilly performing members. It does include ALL corps - competing, Alumni and mini-corps as long as they are part of the DCA block of rooms. (which most were)

The fan's rooms are on top of that...

Now, this information release was important stuff... the location of the 2010 championship and the quality of the bid and facilities are critical to DCA and its member corps and the entire all aged activity. I must admit that I took exception to some of you insinuating that I would release inaccurate or misleading figures...

Not trying to insinuate anything at all. Just being silly. :rolleyes: In all honesty, I think the confusion comes from the fact that we're talking about 6,000 room NIGHTS, not 6,000 rooms. 2,000 rooms for 3 nights each = 6,000 room nights, right?

In all honesty, I think the confusion comes from the fact that we're talking about 6,000 room NIGHTS, not 6,000 rooms. 2,000 rooms for 3 nights each = 6,000 room nights, right?

yes you are correct! that one was an easy math problem. :rolleyes:

Tom,,,Your name has never come up in this thread stating 8 million to 10 million impacting the city of Rochester so I am not sure why you have gotten offended.I certainly was not calling you out by name.I am calling the numbers regardless who dreamed them up inflated.I am not shooting the messenger here.Just the message.

Not sure how the city of Rochester came up with that figure.Most cities use some form of demographic pie charts to reach these conclusions.

But lets use some basic math.

There were 1654 performing members at DCA 2008.I recorded that figure based on information corps directors and or corps representatives gave me based off of semi performance figures.Give or take +/_ 50 members I would say this is a accurate figure to start with.

IF??? and I say "If" 10,000 seats were SOLD and FILLED that would put something like 11,654 people attending DCA 2008.

I have spent as little as $200 and at most $600 to get to DCA and back .Lets call it $450 dollars per person on average and I think that is a high average..

That would be about 5 million and change in GROSS funds impacted on the city.

To reach the 10 million mark each person in attendance in 2008 would have to spend $800+ each.I doubt that figure was reached by each and every person in attendance at DCA.

So I ask each and everyone that went.How much did you spend at DCA in 2008?????

Ed I don't think you are taking into consideration the entire number of a corps. Say a corps has 125 people on the field, that may inturn result to having approximately 200 or more moving with that corps, teaching staff, admin staff, souvie people, truck drives etc.... So while you may think people are inflating numbers, I don't think you're looking at the big picture, and that picture sure is big - lol

Carry on - I hate math

There were 1654 performing members at DCA 2008.I recorded that figure based on information corps directors and or corps representatives gave me based off of semi performance figures.Give or take +/_ 50 members I would say this is a accurate figure to start with.

IF??? and I say "If" 10,000 seats were SOLD and FILLED that would put something like 11,654 people attending DCA 2008.

I have spent as little as $200 and at most $600 to get to DCA and back .Lets call it $450 dollars per person on average and I think that is a high average..

To reach the 10 million mark each person in attendance in 2008 would have to spend $800+ each.I doubt that figure was reached by each and every person in attendance at DCA.

Don't forget, the 6,000 room nights are the total number of hotel nights booked through DCA, and it does not include the rooms booked by the fans. Multiply that 6,000 by $100 a night and just the total for those rooms is $600,000. Doesn't include travel, nor does it include food and other money spent on the weekend in the city by the corps and DCA people, and it includes NONE of the money spent by fans attending the weekend at all.

Let's assume for a minute that there are four in a room, which would indicate 6,000 people...no, let's reduce it to, say, 4,000 people to be conservative. The daily expenses for 4,000 people could be $100/day...$400,000 X 4 days...another $1,600,000.

So now the total is over $2,000,000 and doesn't include ANY of the money spent by fans attending the event.

Why is the number Tom posted, from the Rochester people, so out of line?

Tom,,,Your name has never come up in this thread stating 8 million to 10 million impacting the city of Rochester so I am not sure why you have gotten offended.I certainly was not calling you out by name.I am calling the numbers regardless who dreamed them up inflated.I am not shooting the messenger here.Just the message.

Not sure how the city of Rochester came up with that figure.Most cities use some form of demographic pie charts to reach these conclusions.

I think you messed up when you forgot to carry the seven.........