Trumpet playing can put eyes at risk...

Since we're on this subject... anyone have that link or remember who those trumpet screamers were who would take a piece of music and just start screaming over the melody? I can't find it/them and I'm in the mood for good laugh.

Tasteebros??

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully you don't do Yoga while playing the trumpet - you might go blind. :devil:

Playing trumpet and looking at Kelli could be equally dangerous to your health. :thumbup:

Tasteebros??

Yep. That's them. Can't find a lot of their stuff, though.

My Country Tis Of Thee :thumbup:

Ha, For our special halloween show later today, during every held note at the end, I gliss up to a ridiculously high note. Some kids I am teaching to play trombone will be on the field with us, as we invited them for recruiting. They kept going "OMG HOW DID YOU DO THAT! THAT IS CRAZY" during rehearsal.

it's pretty sad in my college band... the lead bone players can play higher and scream higher than the "screamers" in the trumpet section. Now I wanna go listen to some trombone crap... I'm in the mood for Matt Neiss.

I know. and it is harder to scream on trombone. I am "Multilingual" as I like to say, and It takes much less air on trumpet. I put in the same kinda air I put in a double Bb on my trombone, and I played like, an F above the staff. (the F an octave above high F). I had trouble getting much further than that though. I could get a double G, and not get past. Then again... this was on a Bach 1C. So Trombone screamers higher than trumpet is sad stuff. Those trumpet players need some work.

Edited by crazymello

I know. and it is harder to scream on trombone. I am "Multilingual" as I like to say, and It takes much less air on trumpet. I put in the same kinda air I put in a double Bb on my trombone, and I played like, an F above the staff. (the F an octave above high F). I had trouble getting much further than that though. I could get a double G, and not get past. Then again... this was on a Bach 1C. So Trombone screamers higher than trumpet is sad stuff. Those trumpet players need some work.

Tell me about it. I get on them all the time. Especially our "lead screamer" in the bone section. Its so fun to show them up though... its not often the trombone section is the best in the band.... oh i cheat a little in marching band playing on a 12c on an olds, crappy horn, haha. But on my concert horn I play on a lot bigger mouthpiece, a lot bigger horn and still have the same range... I don't know it's hard to find screamers nowadays.. You gotta listen to a good big band or something to hear anything good, I know screaming is a lost art form in DCI....

Oh I'm in trumpet class right now.. and I am developing a nice upper range, it's so much easier!!!! It doesn't help that the trumpet professor is like strict classical, and I don't like his teaching methods in the first place... but I don't have to deal with him.

Yea, you have to get your embouchure used to it first, then you can put out the air for trombone screaming, and it goes way up there on trumpet. I kinda had to learn trumpet on the fly, but once I got used to it, I was still stuck on third part. uggggh.

This was hidden in yesterday's news.

News Story

It would have been factually significant if this " researcher " had actually done his " research " on TRUMPETERS before making such a statement. Particularly. older trumpeters who may have played the trumpet for decades to determine eye effects. One can readily assume it seems to me that if eye problems ( strain ) were chronic or became an eye health hazard, we could assume we would see veteran trumpeters having to resort to the use of corrective eye glasses later in their careers ( not age related which is natural with age). Here's what we DO know: The following trumpeters, as far as we know, have had NO eye related problems that have effected their sight to the point that they NEEDED to wear glasses late in their careers ( not for simple reading assistance, but in order to function )

Maynard Ferguson..... no eye problems

Doc Severinson..........no eye problems

Al Hirt........................no eye problems

Freddie Hubbard........no eye problems

Herb Albert................no eye problems

Arturo Sandaval.........no eye problems

Miles Davis................no eye probems

Louis Armstrong.........no eye problems

Jeff Kievet..................no eye problems

Jim Centorino............no eye problems

Richie Price................no eye problems

Jerry Noonan..............no eye problems

Frank Ponzo...............no eye problems

Jimmy D' Amico.........no eye problems

Al Chez.....................no eye problems

We could go on and on with the lengthy list of trumpeters that have played this musical instument for decades and decades with no adverse effects whatsoever on their eyesight that has warranted any health concern whatsoever. ( now as for HEARING retention and safety precautions perhaps needed tp preserve hearing for ALL those engaged in Music, THAT that could make for a substantive discussion, as this is the area of more cutting edge research in my view )

Edited by BRASSO