Cadets 2006 vs. Cadets 2008

Less narration and more cowbell.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little biased. but I would take 2006 over 2008 any day.

The '06 show was revolutionary in so many ways. Of course on the surface you have the elements of voice and narration to consider, but the most revolutionary aspect of the show was in the construction and design.

"Vol. 2: Through the Looking Glass" was, and remains today, the most complex show ever put on a football field. The sheer demand put on the audience to just keep up is leagues ahead of anything attempted before or since. The mere fact that it was a sequel to the year before, itself, is shttering to the Drum Corps Show paradigm.

The mere fact that it was a sequel to the year before, itself, is shttering to the Drum Corps Show paradigm.

What the heck? You really think there have never been sequel shows before? Really?

From a musical standpoint, I enjoyed 2006 much more than I enjoyed 2008. Though I like Ticheli's music, I feel that there were better selections that could have been used, and I also didn't like the arrangement of Vesuvius that much. From a theme standpoint, I also enjoyed 2006 more than 2008. I really like the way the characters interacted with each other in 2006, where in 2008 they simply sat on a stage. I feel that 2006 was a better show overall, though I do feel that it was not the best idea to try to make a sequel to the original The Zone show.

What the heck? You really think there have never been sequel shows before? Really?

I think he needs a history lesson.

I didn't really like either show too much, but I DID think 2008's ending was absolutely spectacular. Cadets needed more of what they had in the ending within an entire show. Like someone said before, more whiplash drill and music that grabs you. I think they have used enough narration. I think 2008 would have been much better had they less talking and more musical moments and more drill that has you standing up waiting to see if someone falls. That's what I have always loved about Cadets. Here's to 2009, eh?

A little biased. but I would take 2006 over 2008 any day.

The '06 show was revolutionary in so many ways. Of course on the surface you have the elements of voice and narration to consider, but the most revolutionary aspect of the show was in the construction and design.

"Vol. 2: Through the Looking Glass" was, and remains today, the most complex show ever put on a football field. The sheer demand put on the audience to just keep up is leagues ahead of anything attempted before or since. The mere fact that it was a sequel to the year before, itself, is shttering to the Drum Corps Show paradigm.

Just a Friendly question. How long have you been a fan of/marched in/been invovled in drum corps?

Just a Friendly question. How long have you been a fan of/marched in/been invovled in drum corps?

Out of curiosity, how many shows have actually carried a single original story through like cadets 05 - 06, with the second show leading off right where the first show finished? Things like scv 88-89, or Madison 95-95 dont count. Similar theme =/= a 'sequel'. Anyway, I am genuinely curious...

I think he needs a history lesson.

I didn't really like either show too much, but I DID think 2008's ending was absolutely spectacular. Cadets needed more of what they had in the ending within an entire show. Like someone said before, more whiplash drill and music that grabs you. I think they have used enough narration. I think 2008 would have been much better had they less talking and more musical moments and more drill that has you standing up waiting to see if someone falls. That's what I have always loved about Cadets. Here's to 2009, eh?

Yes, the 2008 (eventual) ending was much better. The Happiness can be found with just a *snap* *it's over now* didn't do it for me at all....

The intro to the '06 show with the air-drumming and remarching of the end of the '05 shows was probably one of the coolest things I saw all year. That said, the rest of the show kind of failed to deliver. 2008 was ok. I only saw it a couple of times, but the drill at the end of the show was pretty ridiculous.

As far as the offensiveness of the vocals, I think they're about equal, although the whole Tea Party scene was kind of ludicrous.

Out of curiosity, how many shows have actually carried a single original story through like cadets 05 - 06, with the second show leading off right where the first show finished? Things like scv 88-89, or Madison 95-95 dont count. Similar theme =/= a 'sequel'. Anyway, I am genuinely curious...

Crossmen 1992-1993.