The President and Drum Corps

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what made me think of this question, but I know Drum Corps have played at Presidential Inaugurations. However, has a sitting or past President ever attended a Drum Corps show?

Not in the DCI era that I know of...the only one worth attending would be Finals, and that would've been noted a lot.

But then again, have we ever had a Prez with a close regional connection to a corps before Obama/Cavies?? The fact that he represented their area AND they're a multiple-time champ might bring him out to Indy in 09.

I believe there was a connection with President Kennedy and Boston Crusaders. And Cavaliers were presented with a Kennedy family flag, but I don't remember the story about that. Any older Cavaliers out there remember this one?

the last thing dci finals needs is a 45-60 minute wait to go through security

i'd imagine it would be like any public event a president goes to, and it usually isn't a problem to the people in attendance.... it be a great thing though to sell more tickets to finals, or any event he would attend.

the last thing dci finals needs is a 45-60 minute wait to go through security

No....the last thing it needs is electronics and miced brass instruments!!! :tongue:

Clinton was at the Olympics in Atlanta when Garfield embarrassed the activity at the closing ceremonies. I assume Carter was at the Opening Cermonies at Lake Placid in 1980, too.

Troopers played for Reagan in Casper once.

Spirit played for him in Atlanta.

I believe Troopers and Spartans have represented their states at the Inaugural parade several times.

Clinton was at the Olympics in Atlanta when Garfield embarrassed the activity at the closing ceremonies.

Young people: Pay no attention to grouchy zealots who would confine this activity to the oblivion of their own narrow perspective.

At the Olympics in Atlanta, the Cadets staged a brilliant peformance before millions around the world that demonstrated how drum corps can exceed the ordinary expectations for the marching arts.

HH