The President and Drum Corps

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young people: Pay no attention to grouchy zealots who would confine this activity to the oblivion of their own narrow perspective.

At the Olympics in Atlanta, the Cadets staged a brilliant peformance before millions around the world that demonstrated how drum corps can exceed the ordinary expectations for the marching arts.

HH

In an activity that causes many (myself included) to complain about a lack of entertainment, the Cadets committed the ultimate sin--they tried to be entertaining!

</love target = "cadets">

Edited by monoemono

If memory serves me, don't they have a band/drom corps from each state or maybe it's the states where the president and vice president are from?

As far as drum corps performing for presidents, I played for Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan and George I, and I even took a pee besides Ford in Las Vegas. That's a story for another time.

One of the coolest pics I have ever seen was while at the Navy School of Music, the head of the Marine D&B program Eric Bay had a shot of himself, the President's Own DM and the OIC of the Silent drill tea, shaking hands with President Carter, Sadat, and Beghin, sorry about the spelling, during the peace talks at Camp David. Bay was the DM for 8th & I marine DB at the time.

Don't forget that prior to the comedy routine, which the cadets did flawlessly, they also performed the first half? of their show from that season without yardlines I might add.

that's too funny..

i marched my entired drum corps career without yard lines...

they don't put yard lines on baseball fields very often..

okay,, back to topic

If memory serves me, don't they have a band/drom corps from each state or maybe it's the states where the president and vice president are from?

That just jogged a memory. Last Inaugural parade I remember seeing was Carters (#### work) and think each state has 2 representatives at the parade. Representative can be a group or float or whatever. Maybe(?) the home state of the Pres and VP are at the start (also end?) of the parade. Man gotta be on Google somewhere. :lol:

Brian/Northern Thunder: Any details on that Ike parade with the NC corps? Sounds like a great story. Ya don't don't mess with Sheriff Andy and Deputy Barney. :tongue:

my brother attended the parade after the 1996 election and afterwards he told me he saw the troopers.

I disagree. The performance sucked. It wasn't the kids' fault. It never is. I blame the staff. I watched it that night and thought it was embarrassing. Crumbs, people. Demand more form your diet.

Wow, Mr. Bitter, party of one!!

I have a lot of friends who saw the performance and have been going to drum corps shows since and never thought of the Olympic performance as disappointing on the contrary.

Get over yourself.

Clinton was at the Olympics in Atlanta when Garfield embarrassed the activity at the closing ceremonies. I assume Carter was at the Opening Cermonies at Lake Placid in 1980, too.

Troopers played for Reagan in Casper once.

Spirit played for him in Atlanta.

Wow, silly me. I thought that performance in Atlanta was one of the coolest things ever done by a corps outside of dci.

There was no parade for George III