DCP Members in non-DCI Junior Circuits

Spent parts of the last few days going over information on two Senior corps circuits that no longer exist. More I looked, more I realized what is out there is sometimes contradictory and in pieces. And as we all get older the people who remember this stuff (sometimes remember badly) are getting smaller in number and harder to find.

So if any DCP members marched in a circuit other than DCI or you know something about them, here's your chance to share and save some history. This might be our best chance to let the newer members learn about the path Drum Corps traveled to get where it is today.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

So if any DCP members marched in a circuit other than DCI or you know something about them, here's your chance to share and save some history. This might be our best chance to let the newer members learn about the path Drum Corps traveled to get where it is today.

Here's a few names to get things started.

For junior corps:

CYO

Eastern Mass

Mayflower

Yankee

Nutmeg

All American

Northeastern

Great Plains

Garden State

Drum Corps South

Greater NY

Eastern States

There were groups in Canada:

Les Amis du Drum Corps Quebecois

Federation des Associatins Musicales du Quebec

Ontario DCA

There were and are many indoor circuits for both color guard and percussion groups in both the US and Canada.

For seniors there is DCA and there were others.

Let's not forget there are and were several circuits outside of North America for junior and senior corps as well as indoor color guard and percussion.

This is a huge topic. IMO a list of all known circuits and their member organizations is a gigantic and worthwhile task. Many of these organizations also had competitions for bands and drill teams. Lets not forget the separate judging associations that made these circuits work. Are we collectively up to the challenge?

Steve Solombrino

In Canada

Canadian DCA

Ontario DCA

Ontario JR C Circuit

I'm sure there were more outside of Ontario as well

Now we have in Canada...

ummmmmm

nothing..

thank you DCI

Here's a few names to get things started.

For junior corps:

CYO

Eastern Mass

Mayflower

Yankee

Nutmeg

All American

Northeastern

Great Plains

Garden State

Drum Corps South

Greater NY

Eastern States

There were groups in Canada:

Les Amis du Drum Corps Quebecois

Federation des Associatins Musicales du Quebec

Ontario DCA

There were and are many indoor circuits for both color guard and percussion groups in both the US and Canada.

For seniors there is DCA and there were others.

Let's not forget there are and were several circuits outside of North America for junior and senior corps as well as indoor color guard and percussion.

This is a huge topic. IMO a list of all known circuits and their member organizations is a gigantic and worthwhile task. Many of these organizations also had competitions for bands and drill teams. Lets not forget the separate judging associations that made these circuits work. Are we collectively up to the challenge?

Steve Solombrino

"Not DCI":

Penn-Jersey

Tri-State

DC Midwest

Elphaba

you forgot the GLDCA - Great Lakes Drum Corps Associates.

had corps from canada as well as michigan and ohio. Maybe some other states but not sure. Dutch Boy, Glassmen, bluecoats, Northern Aurora were all in this circuit in the mid 80's. I belive 1986 was the last year the GLDCA held a championship. Bluecoats won open class, and I believe Glassmen won A Class.

The OLA Blue Angels were members of the Long Island Circuit (and circuit champs in '74-'75), The Greater New York Circuit (which featured , the Brassmen, the Kingston Indians, CMCC Warriors and others)

There were a lot of performance opportunities back then.

you forgot the GLDCA - Great Lakes Drum Corps Associates.

had corps from canada as well as michigan and ohio. Maybe some other states but not sure. Dutch Boy, Glassmen, bluecoats, Northern Aurora were all in this circuit in the mid 80's. I belive 1986 was the last year the GLDCA held a championship. Bluecoats won open class, and I believe Glassmen won A Class.

I am not sure but I think we were in the GLDCA in 74 and 75. I do know we won the GLDCA Champ. in 75. If I remember right everyone went head to head. I did like going to Canada for a weekend and we did it more than once during the season. An Glassmen Alum sent me a 75 recording from a Show in Michigan called the Michigan Open. Ring a bell with anyone? Also in the 70's there were Corps form those same areas. Does anyone know how long the GLDCA was around? My first see of the Bluecoats was 1974. I really liked your uniforms. in 75 you all played a Maynord tune. I just can't remember the name sorry.

Dean

"Parade Specialties" or something like that in Wisconsin and the UP in the late 60's and early 70's.

I believe Annie Mixdorff (spelling??) ran the circuit. Always a parade in the afternoon and show at night.