Drum Corps in Macy's

How come there aren't any drum corps(to my knowing) in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade? Just wondering, I'm sitting here watching it right now and there's all these HS Marching band and College Marching bands and wondering why there's no amazing drum corps? Have any drum corps ever been in it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets opened it I believe two years ago

Edit: 2005 they opened the parade, I believe they played Sing, Sing, Sing

also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ALpR7wBM34

Edited by Huntington Mallets

I think it's mostly because most drum corps are populated by the same folks already marching in the parade.

The high school and college bands have been planning this for years, and probably have very strict clauses about absence for this event.

Also, most corps are just "reviving" at this point of the year. Now, if they could only have the Macy's parade in the middle of August, that would be different! Andy Williams would be sweatin' his ### off in that scarf in August. :-)

I know nothing...but I'm just guessing that it has something to do with...

1.) The DC's have had 3 months off, and...

2.) MB has been dominating everyone's attention recently, what with FB games and all.

No DC auditions yet may have something to do with it as well. No auditions = no members = no corps = no performances...including Macy's. Just my guess.

Believe me, I'd love to get a national TV fix of DC! How cool? But I'm guessing with having 3 months off 2 years ago, GH said, "Ugh...that was more of a pain than it was worth!"

Corps have a long lead-in to their summer season with move-ins and local performances, etc. But without having the group together yet, then having to travel from Allentown to NYC and back...early in the morning...and ensuring enough members present...on a Holiday??

I wouldn't want to do it again either! And that's assuming that Macy's wanted corps again. If Cadets played Barber & Bartok, we'll never see a corps in a Macy's parade again!! :smile:

Another question regarding the Macy's Parade? How come several of the HS and/or college bands were announced as a "drum and bugle corps BAND?" What's up with that? What does that mean? (I hate that!)

"Drum-Corps Style" is the category they give bands who take it seriously, unlike those party bands who just do football games or "show bands".

"Drum-Corps Style" is the category they give bands who take it seriously, unlike those party bands who just do football games or "show bands".

Take it seriously?

hmm I know a few show bands and a few military bands that would take exception to that comment. They take it pretty seriously too. There are different styles of marching band. We have our favorite, but it doesn't make the other types any less "serious".

I'll quote Michael Cesario, "There is NOTHING more entertaining than a good show band...NOTHING!" While I might disagree, he has a point. Show bands bring in bigger crowds than any DCI or BOA show.

Each band at Macy's though has their style differentiation listed beside them. Corps style, Military, or Showband