2009 Carolina Crown Camp #1 Report

Yeah, but how many of those 350 were trying our for snare drum or tenors? Experience tells me at least half.

I don't remember seeing that many snare/tenor players there actually when I visited. Maybe 50 or 60 total. Of course there were a lot of veterans not at the first camp because of college football games and whatnot.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not surprised by the numbers. With the economic conditions the way they are, many kids who know they are not ready may hold off going to the top 5 corps' camps and go to the 6 thru 16 camps instead. I heard from a friend up here in the frozen north that a corps from that placement range last year is having a huge turn out for their camp this weekend.

I am not surprised by the numbers. With the economic conditions the way they are, many kids who know they are not ready may hold off going to the top 5 corps' camps and go to the 6 thru 16 camps instead. I heard from a friend up here in the frozen north that a corps from that placement range last year is having a huge turn out for their camp this weekend.

If more people are attending th 6-16 camps vs. the top 5, that would be a positive development for drum corps, IMO. It could be a more interesting season with more parity.

an attendee told me that most campers were very young - high schoolers...

cool, because plainly the 2008 show resonated with that age group

Wow jealous Much?????

But this was a record setting camp for carolina crown

"The 2009 season opened on a high note for Crown as the corps welcomed a record-setting turnout of 350 applicants at Nation Ford High School in Fort Mill, SC. The staff was excited at the talent level of the musicians and performers who were in attendance at the first camp weekend, not to mention their excitement towards what the new season holds!" -carolinacrown.org

-Sesto

Wow jealous Much?????

But this was a record setting camp for carolina crown

"The 2009 season opened on a high note for Crown as the corps welcomed a record-setting turnout of 350 applicants at Nation Ford High School in Fort Mill, SC. The staff was excited at the talent level of the musicians and performers who were in attendance at the first camp weekend, not to mention their excitement towards what the new season holds!" -carolinacrown.org

-Sesto

dude, no disrespect intended...

I think its very cool that high school age kids get excited enough to attend camps - and like it or not, that show was very accessible....

Yeah, but how many of those 350 were trying our for snare drum or tenors? Experience tells me at least half.

Experience tells you that AT LEAST 175 kids were there for snare or tenor? Experience tells me that fifty to sixty might be there for that reason. Also, that many horn and guard don't attend the first camp. 350 is a very respectable number for a first camp.

There wasn't 175 for perc. There was at least 100 people trying out for the guard. With a ton of returnees this year, its going to be great. The staff was awesome last year, but this year its even more refined.

Why don't you quit trying to figure out their show and go to volunteer for crown ( or another corps) next camp! Its December 19-21st at Nations Ford HS in Charlotte. Call Moe in the office to sign up!

Luke