Blue Devils Reaction to Finals

not after 3 straight years of world championships and for those members that started in 2000 and aged out in 2003 that must've been hard

Not to stray from the subject of the discussion, but since the 2003 Cavaliers have been cited as an example many times, a clarification's in order:

When the Blue Devils won the Indy show in 2003, The Cavaliers weren't rude or disrespectful, or really even disappointed. They changed out of uniform, packed up their equipment, and waited outside the airlock at the RCA. When the Blue Devils finished their encore, The Cavaliers stood and applauded them as they made their exit.

Regardless of how other organizations choose to prioritize their season, The Cavaliers don't place a priority on winning.

I could go on listing the bullet points of that philosophy, and most of them sound cliche, but to be sure, the current generation of Cavaliers couldn't care less about the competitive aspect of the season. If there's any disappointment, it arises because some aspect of the performance wasn't the absolute best that it could have been. And any disappointment is small in scale when compared to the value of the education, friendships, and experiences they share throughout a summer.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should adopt these values. That's just what works for The Cavaliers. But before anyone infers a similarity between the reactions of one corps and another, it's worth noting that not all organizations prioritize winning in the same way.

Stand there as 10 scores are read off and find out score #11 is yours, and tell me coming in 13th is worse. While we all play politically correct and claim it's not about "winning," there is a score, and for a person or corps to come in second, they are the "biggest loser." No one lost worse than they did. Trust me, this is something I know A LOT about! Second = :smile:

Here's another angle....going thousands of miles from home, finding that you can still march corps, doing so on cymbals when you're a horn player, going through finals (and being threatened with being pulled from the line by one of the organizers ecause you stopped him from breaking your ranks), wearing the uniform style you wore in 84 and playing the music that BEAT you when you wore that uni, blah blah blah.....and tying for a national title!

Dageham Crusaders, 1986 DUCK co-champs (our pit said they rushed it a few times, but I don't hear it on the recording)

I would rather get body-slammed then lose by the closest of margins...at keast then there's no doubt. I spent the entire trip home in 84 wondering what I did to ciost that 1/10th.

Coming in 13th means having to listen to all 12 scores on Finals night from the stands in street clothes, knowing none of them is yours. :smile:

Shoot, I'm making this into a pissing contest, aren't I?

Word. Trying sitting in the stands on finals night, watching the corps perform, knowing that could have been you. It doesn't feel very good to see the twelfth place corps take the field, knowing that up until a week ago, that would've been you.

Wow, its threads like these that remind me why I don't come 'round these parts very much. They remind me that:

1) Most people on this forum are not very smart.

2) Most people on this forum sit on an enormously high horse.

3) The mods are perfectly content with the pissing matches that go on around here and do nothing to quell them.

Sad, really. 4chan looks tame in comparison of bile and hatred that is spewed around here sometimes.

Edited by MagicBobert

Speaking of high horses... :smile:

Cute. Is that all the moderators do around here now? Post witty remarks?

As an age-out member of the 2008 Blue Devils I would like to say a few things.

I rarely read this forum, in fact this is the first time I have been on since finals night. I am deeply saddened and very offended by some of the views expressed in this thread about my corps. First off, I would like to apologize on behalf of myself and my corpsmates for any rude or classless behavior that any drum corps member or fan might have seen from us after finals night. I Play Baritone Good- Judging by your opinions, it seems that the Blue Devils have personally insulted you in some way. I apologize for this, and hope you give us another chance.

I'd like to tell the people who read this forum a few things about the Blue Devils, not the drum corps, but the members themselves. For the past few years the Blue Devils staff have started trying to create a new type of Blue Devil. The types of kids accepted in to the corps recently are a different breed than the Blue Devils of old. The staff are searching for younger kids with a better attitude and higher moral values. Did you know that the Blue Devils have a corps bible study group? There were around 50 members of the group this year. In case you didn't know we had 25 vets in the hornline this year. Mostly 2 years. How many did the cavaliers have? Can you imagine the pressure on all of those rookies, having to live up to the perfection expected of a Blue Devil every day? Hardly the bunch of scary ###### that for some reason most drum corps fans think we are. When I made the Blue Devils, I was shocked at how nicely I was treated as a rookie. Much nicer than my former corps. It's true, we have some members who can be jerks, but doesn't every corps? Please don't judge the entire membership of the corps on a few bad apples. We're doing our best to change.

We all know what happened finals night. Maybe some of you were expecting it. We sure weren't. We were a corps of mostly rookies, we worked so hard to be worthy of just being called Blue Devils. We thought that we had worked hard enough to attain our dream of being a World Champion. We had a chant on the Hound after we learned the score of every show we won. It went like this: "We're not that good! We're not that good!" We believed we could never stop working hard. A corps of rookies. Not a lot of experience, but tons of heart. I'm sorry we don't play emotional music, but don't think we don't have just as much heart as any other corps.

Finals night was truthfully the most heartbreaking night of my life. Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for, it seemed like the whole world was ecstatic about our failure, as it seems like some members of this forum are. Happy that the Regiment won their first solo championship, but even happier that it was the big bad Blue Devils that had been defeated at the end. It was the first time I had cried since I was 7. Our rookies were absolutely devastated. We felt like we had let Joe down. It was a very hard way to leave drum corps forever. Unfortunately, I will probably remember that night more than the night when I actually won the championship for the rest of my life.

I'm completely offended by the things that some people on this forum can say about a group of KIDS that had their hearts broken. Some of you need to realize that this is not a professional sport, kids make mistakes. Kids say stupid things when they are upset. I could tell you about all of the snide and outright mean things said to me AND MY PARENTS after finals night, but I'm not. I lost my belief in this activity when my father was insulted only for having a son in the Blue Devils. Some of the other corps aren't as "funny" or "clever" as you think by the way.

The blind opinions about the Blue Devils are garbage.

The people who can be happy about kids having their hearts broken are garbage.

Makes me wanna puke.

Sorry for quoting this from days ago, but I'm a tad behind. (Holidays keep one busy.)

First of all, I will disclose I am not a huge BD fan from the "total package" perspective. I find I listen to them on my iPod more than I watch them on the DVDs. That said, I think what you guys put on the field this year was one of the most original and enjoyable shows to come out of Concord in a long while and my hat is off to you and the rest of the members.

As far as the crowd reaction on finals night, I can easily see how it comes across as enjoyment that the Devils didn't win. However, while every person in the stands that night has their favorite corps, and everyone on this forum does as well, I really don't think many of them truly "hate" any corps. We are all fans of the activity. We like some more than we like others. But part of the enjoyment (for me anyway), comes from watching what these kids worked their ##### off all summer for. Even if I dislike every aspect of a particular show, I will applaud and acknowledge their effort.

As to the heartbreak of not winning your age-out year, well.... I can't really speak to that. I would like to offer up that a 2nd place impression of a few guys in green shirts should in no way define your experiences and memories from this past summer. The same way that their 1st place impression the year before should not validate or "make better" the time you put in in 2007.

Just my thoughts. But either way, congrats on putting out my favorite BD show in a long time.

Cute. Is that all the moderators do around here now? Post witty remarks?

At least your post didn't get canned for insulting posters intelligence.....

Almost pegged my irony meter after seeing your sig...

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Wow, its threads like these that remind me why I don't come 'round these parts very much. They remind me that:

1) Most people on this forum are not very smart.

2) Most people on this forum sit on an enormously high horse.

3) The mods are perfectly content with the pissing matches that go on around here and do nothing to quell them.

Sad, really. 4chan looks tame in comparison of bile and hatred that is spewed around here sometimes.

"What is 'being ###### and moaning about it,' Alex?"

and we were all very happy being ignorant until you came along and made us wake up from our bliss. :smile:

i'll take my 140 i.q. and go play with my blocks now.