Blue Devils Reaction to Finals

almost the idea of people taking for granted that they get to march in finals let alone semi finals or even a div one corps, excuse me, world class corps.

again though, certainly not every member, or even most who start in a top 4 or 5 corps will act that way, but i've seen it.

Well, if you ARE marching at the top-4/5 level, I think you naturally will feel a bit different from someone in a corps scrambling for a finals slot. I don't find it disappointing; to me it's just human nature.

Wow, back in the old days, if you didn't like a particular corps you just kicked their butt in the parking lot after a show. Things were settled right there and then, then we all went out for beers. This is all too PC for me today.

Nothing is more funny then reading a bunch of bands geeks get all riled up. And don't worry, I include myself and my band geek drum corp FMM wife in this too. Our non-drum corps friends just crack up listening to us argue about The Cavaliers vs The Cadets all the time.

Bottom line, others corps act worse then "our" corps and we will defend them until we die. It is what it is. Deal with it and have a beer. :)

homer-simpson-beer.jpg

:thumbup:

That poster hangs in my room - and it will stay there for all eternity

win...

Actually from reading this...

...you could say that Phantom has the ring that belongs to The Cadets. :thumbup:

LOL!

I don't think that the commutative property of equality works here, Mike. :D

My problem with retreat was the fact that some people behaved in a way that cut a performance from my DVD. The last thing I played as a part of the 2008 season was not included on the DVD’s because some individuals decided to make a statement about their placement. I sure as shootin’ wasn’t happy about how things turned out for my corps, but I played the music that was being conducted. No wrong notes, no wrong rhythms, and I cut off when expected. But no matter what I did, a few people ruined it so that my last performance was cut from the DVD. I can only imagine how Phantom Regiment and Will Pitts feel about having their moment left off because of some immature individuals. It’s happened in the past too. Not the part being taken off DVD’s, but if you listen to the 07 recording you can hear a trumpet and tuba hold over for a significant amount of time.

Sure I was bitter and the last thing I wanted to do was behave in a respectful manner. But I did, because as cliché as it sounds my experiences have taught me that the quality of a person is not shown when they win, as much as when they lose.

I also have immense respect for my uniform, what it stands for, and the members who had worn it before me. Not that others don’t have respect for their corps, but their actions don’t always convey that respect. I have been personally insulted by individuals while both of us were in uniform. I have had my butt slapped after encore, sexually explicit comments said to my face right after leaving the field from my performance, not to mention the countless other times I have endured verbal abuse. At the time I was enraged that these things had happened, but now I’m just disappointed that individuals can’t seem to understand that respect is a basic part of humanity. Even if I personally do not agree with how a corps acts, I will still treat them with respect for the fact that it’s the right thing to do; no matter how many times members of the organization have insulted me.

I can only hope that at some point in time those individuals will realize how disgusting their behavior was and try to change their approach.

And as I'm sure you have probably realized I have stressed it is individuals that act disrespectfully. I understand that not everyone in a corps is rude, but when you are in uniform no Joe in the audience is going to recognize a difference between you and the guy next to you except that you play trumpet and he plays snare. You represent your organization when you are in uniform and if somone does something to get noticed, your organization will be subject to generalizations whether good or bad. If you don't like it, either get over it or do something to change the way members of your corps behave.

Nice post

I do have something to say about 13th vs 2nd comment. I think it all depends on the situation. If you were in first before that night, or in 12th before that night, i'd say its about the same deal. Getting into finals is a big deal still though. I especially felt for Crossmen when they fell out of 12th at quarters... Funny thing though is that no classless acts came out of it, and they were the ones getting threats from another corps.... but thats going to far off topic.

I know for a fact that the Crossmen were heart broken over slipping out, especially after having a great semis perf vs their lack luster quarter perf. However, they realized quickly how great their season was. There was nothing to complain about. One person told me it was upsetting watching Scouts go on first, but they couldn't be more happy what they accomplished this past summer (Face it, they were far behind early on up until a week before San Antonio). But the second place corps is up in arms.

Seriously, I would rather be in 2nd.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it sucks... just really, certain individuals of BD need to think on a bigger scale. I'm sure if they did... and i'm actually sure they have by now, that they would not have acted how they did.

And I'm sorry if I offend anyone because if I have high standards about class.

Note: I love all of you.

I also haven't slept in 48 hours!

I've always viewed the Blue Devils as being the Oakland Raiders of drum corps; the bad boys, if you will.

But the Blue Devils actually have "A Commitment to Excellence", unlike the Raiders. LOL.

Please. What EXACTLY are you referring to as the blind and ignorant comments. Where is the bashing and the hate? I really, really, dont see it. This whole thing started with some people talking about the blue devils prevailing attitude of arrogance - an attitude that most of them agree to having - and the fact that a few of them seemed unreasonably upset over losing on finals night. Some good points were raised regarding the relative value of winning and all that, but I really dont see what the hissy fit is all about.

oh - and regarding your first point about how everyone was happy phantom won, and noone called conspiracy: you clearly were not on this message board for the last few weeks of august....

So giving a worthy young man from a drum corps that succeeded as much as they did is a "hissy fit"?

And you dont see the bashing and hate?

I guess you see what you want to see.

Wow, back in the old days, if you didn't like a particular corps you just kicked their butt in the parking lot after a show. Things were settled right there and then, then we all went out for beers. This is all too PC for me today.

Nothing is more funny then reading a bunch of bands geeks get all riled up. And don't worry, I include myself and my band geek drum corp FMM wife in this too. Our non-drum corps friends just crack up listening to us argue about The Cavaliers vs The Cadets all the time.

Bottom line, others corps act worse then "our" corps and we will defend them until we die. It is what it is. Deal with it and have a beer. :)

Words of wisdom, my man. BTW, what the hell is an "FMM"???