Interesting Scenario

So I've been thinking about something for a while now, and I want to know what people think...

What if the membership of say, the Cadets all went to a lower tier corps lets say, Spirit for one summer. Do you think "Spirit" would place the same as the Cadets. I know this goes along with the long asked question "What if two corps switched uniforms for a show?" but I'm wondering if politics actually do influence judging. This would be a really interesting experiment.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirit would definitely place higher because of the influx of talent and experience, but Cadets also have show design and great staff on their side. Also, believe it or not, but The Cadets get less talent than Blue Devils and Cavaliers and probably even corps like Bluecoats. The staff and work ethic stretch the talent they have, though; they do more with less (not that there aren't some incredibly talented members in The Cadets but I believe that the overall talent level is lower than some others in the activity). I'd say Spirit with Cadets members would finish 8th.

IMO it isn't about talent. Even if it is all from a higher corps, and lots of talent, They all might as well be rookies. Noone in the corps is familiar with that staff, and aren't familiar with their technical approach or teaching approach. So there would be some turbulance at first. I don't think spirit has a bad staff at all, and I think they could take a corps up there, but noone stays with that specific staff long enough for them to mesh. Get where I'm going?

It's been said before, it'll be said again: Staffs win championships. I know this isn't a thread about winning championships, but staffs and consistent leadership wins and creates competitive success. Just look at the most successful corps. They have all had roughly the same group of people running stuff for a while. Look at 2008 BD. Went undefeated until finals night. Say what you want about whether or they should've won. I really don't care. The best corps won. But whats amazing about 2008 BD is that the corps was largely rookies. The reason for competitive success is consistent leadership and staff.

…But whats amazing about 2008 BD is that the corps was largely rookies. The reason for competitive success is consistent leadership and staff.

While I agree with you about the staff being the major component, where are you getting your info about BD being largely rookies?

While I agree with you about the staff being the major component, where are you getting your info about BD being largely rookies?

The corps had 29 age-outs, if I remember correctly (obviously this does not necessarily mean that there were a ton of rookies, but there were certainly not as many age-outs as usual).

I'll vouch for the staff wins championships concept. Put the Cadets kids at Spirit and Spirit will place higher, but not where Cadets would have placed. I think most of the top 6 or so has roughly the same talent. I know people who couldn't make Bluecoats who made other top 6 corps. I know a couple of Bluecoats who got cut from other top 6 corps. It varies from section to section, but overall there's a pretty even playing field there. The staff, show designers in particular, make or break it.

Case in point- 2003 Bluecoats. Ridiculous talent level for the corps. Unfortunately, we had some staff issues that year that held us back. 2004 some big staff changes happen and voila- corps gets better by leaps and bounds.

Rookies who have multiple years of experience marching in other corps...

Bingo! We have a winner!

Garry in Vegas