2008 DCI DVD Reissue . . .

can only imagine that the "musical integrity" of his original piece wasn't maintained and therefore it made him sad and cry. how dare someone arrange his music to fit their show (which he had to know was going to happen) and it not sound quite the same. booo hooo.

he should be grateful that someone used his piece in a popular "sport." i know there are tons of music majors and enthusiasts on dcp, but who in here (let alone in the stands) knows or gives a rat's ### about Loris Tjeknavorian?

Tjeknavorian FTL :thumbup:

When you have created something in which you have an emotinal investment in... revisit your over "dramatic", "me" centered respons response.

It is his work, he should have have final say on what is done with it.

I care about Loris Tjeknavorian's intellectual property, just like I would care about chaos001's intelectual property.

Maybe you are composing at that level... I shoud'nt make the assumption that you are not. Maybe chaos001 is a code name for Waney Downey. It's funny that you never see them in the same spot.......

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangit!

it sounds more like the composer in question backed out of the agreement, or finally answered the question and said no. not a fault of DCI or the corps.

Sorry, but no. If it was a case of "waiting on the composer to get back to them" on the agreement being discussed, then it is entirely PR's fault.

Unless DCI kept running PR in circles, then the blame is rested on PR, not the composer. The PR design team had to decide to go ahead without that final agreement.

When you do that, you run the risk of things not being accepted.

so many.... amateur lawyers... headache... flashbacks...

AHHHH

awwe shucks, why can't we just have a little fun?

the real ones aren't any better for your headaches either. the four i have to deal with at family functions (one who is also a jurist and another is a junior vp @ the country's largest prison system) are well known for their headache inducing powers!

When you have created something in which you have an emotinal investment in... revisit your over "dramatic", "me" centered respons response.

It is his work, he should have have final say on what is done with it.

I care about Loris Tjeknavorian's intellectual property, just like I would care about chaos001's intelectual property.

Maybe you are composing at that level... I shoud'nt make the assumption that you are not. Maybe chaos001 is a code name for Waney Downey. It's funny that you never see them in the same spot.......

i am not wayne downey. don't insult him like that.

it was intended to be dramatic for comedy. he can do whatever he wants with his music. i do think it's a bit silly to revoke the license or not grant them for another over what amounts to very little, especially when he knew it was going to be changed.

Edited by chaos001

I love how quickly, once it as mentioned who the likely composer was, everyone jumped on the "blame the composer" band wagon.

Heaven forbid this be an error on the holy and untouchable Phantom Regiment's part.

This whole thing sucks, regardless of whose fault it is. A part of history was lost and now it will be unnecessarily hard for fans, parents, and alumni to get the full video.

well has anyone GOTTEN the edited DVD? Is it out yet? If I bought it today it would be the un-edited version? Is the DVD still awesome?

Sorry, but no. If it was a case of "waiting on the composer to get back to them" on the agreement being discussed, then it is entirely PR's fault.

Unless DCI kept running PR in circles, then the blame is rested on PR, not the composer. The PR design team had to decide to go ahead without that final agreement.

When you do that, you run the risk of things not being accepted.

Why are you so hung up on who is to blame? Just accept it and move on. A DVD of a niche within the niche of the marching band world needs to be edited because of some legal issues. The economy is in the tank, thousands are potentially losing their jobs in the auto industry, millions have been lost in retirement accounts, and yet there is all of the cackling like a bunch of wet hens. I know this place is for "super fans" of marching band, but holy mackerel, the whining here is just amazing.

If you marched in this great corps, congratulations to you! If you got the chance to witness their excellent performance in Bloomington, then congratulations to you, too. If you were fortunate enough to purchase a DVD of this prior to the legal issues rearing their heads, then congratulations to you as well.

Let's not worry about pointing the fingers of blame at DCI or Phantom Regiment or whichever composer it was. Let's enjoy the fact that we're alive and have the freedoms in this great land of ours to enjoy such pursuits as marching band.

the real ones aren't any better for your headaches either. the four i have to deal with at family functions (one who is also a jurist and another is a junior vp @ the country's largest prison system) are well known for their headache inducing powers!

yeah, we take pride in giving people headaches.

i'm not a copyright attorney, so i have no idea what the legal process was here, so i'm not going to guess.

personally i'm ok with the way it came out. all drum corps music is highly arranged, and a lot of it is poorly arranged to the point of butchering. most of it sounds bad, compared to indoors performances.

if i were a composer, i would want to know that i had the discretion to keep my work -- in a form i did not intend -- from making money. now, if somebody thought they had secured the rights, and the contract didn't hold up under scrutiny, that is something completely different. but if this was the agreement, i think it is ok.