Michael "Cozy" Baker Passes Away

JohnD

These anecdotes and memories underscore one of the things I admired most about Cozy Baker .... he was a DOER, not a watcher. If something needed to be done, he did it. He leveraged that incredible network of friends and acquaintances to get things done - normally only after he found that he was unable to do it on his own. Sometimes he appeared 'pushy' (and sometimes even an irritant) to some ... but only when they didn't realize that he was trying to help someone or right what he perceived a wrong.

Whether it was housing for a corps that was stranded, or DCA judging sheets at a DCI show, or ensuring that a golf-cart and seating were available for Annie or someone else that needed seating assistance, or .... well, I could go on forever - Cozy was there getting things done. Even getting pre-DCA Championships seating at Dinosaur for himself, Charlie Groh and I this past fall (Now THAT was a fun lunch!) - it was all just 'another mission' for Cozy.

Never a bystander - ALWAYS first in-line to help make corpsdom better. Yes, he was a fan, a performer, and one of the better scribes for the activity .... but he was never just an observer. He was a PARTICIPANT in this great community, in perhaps the most complete way I'd ever witnessed.

Yep - I'll miss him a lot.

-john

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first met Mike over 40 years ago. We started in a baton corps together. Him playing trumpet and me and his younger brother in the American flag section. Eventually his brother and I moved up to play percussion. I remember us having something like 2 trumpets and trombone and a boatload of percussion. One year the director started to get serious about performing. She hired someone from the Yankee-Rebels to teach the corps (this was in the early 70's). This was our first exposure to drum corps. We were floored. This guy knew everything and we just sucked it all in. Eventually the corps folded and we lost touch. I marched DCI, he marched DCA. I have been in and out of the drum corps activity for the past 25 years and was very surprised when he contacted me a couple of years ago. We corresponded a few times, but I regret not making more of an effort. Mike (sorry he wasn't "Cozy" to me) was always a a supporter of anything related to drum corps. My prayers go to his brother and sister and the rest of the family.

From Les Diplomates, our condolences and prayers to Mr. Cozy family and friends.

Our Drum Corps activity will miss him.

I am so saddened to hear of Mike's passing. I just saw the news on a web site. I had no idea that he was ill at all. I have known Mike "Cozy" Baker for many years and he was a man that was immensely likeable. He was so knowledgeable of Drum Corps and seemed to know almost everyone important in the DC idiom. He was an outstanding and unique writer of the activity. His flair and style was his watermark. I will miss the man that I called friend for so many years. My heart is heavy with the loss. I know the Drum Corps community has lost one of its best! Rest in Peace Cozy! :cool:

This has been a terrible shock and is a great tragedy! And, indeed, this is a "great loss" to the Drum Corps Activity. Cozy was one of the most "passionate" corps people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and he will be greatly missed....for his dedication, passion, perserverance and enthusiasm for our great activity.

To Cozy:

I will never forget the day you spent hours showing me all of your wonderful "drum corps parifnalia"....that you had spent a lifetime collecting....and the wonderful, long hours of drum corps talk! You were and always will be an "INSPIRATION" to all who love drum corps!!!!

"RIP" my drum corps comrade....and MAY GOD FOREVER BLESS YOU in that Great Drum Corps in Heaven!!!!

Love To You Always,

I remember when Cozy had to fly in for a show.He had very limited time to make the flight and then make it to the show site. So he figured he would wear his full Battle dress on the plane. Needless to say he had quite abit of splaining to do showing up at the check-in a Kilt and a horn and not much else. This Held the plane up and almost got him locked up in a back room at the airport.

Lord I wish He was here to tell the whole story.

Edited by JCSeymour

These anecdotes and memories underscore one of the things I admired most about Cozy Baker .... he was a DOER, not a watcher. If something needed to be done, he did it. He leveraged that incredible network of friends and acquaintances to get things done - normally only after he found that he was unable to do it on his own. Sometimes he appeared 'pushy' (and sometimes even an irritant) to some ... but only when they didn't realize that he was trying to help someone or right what he perceived a wrong.

Whether it was housing for a corps that was stranded, or DCA judging sheets at a DCI show, or ensuring that a golf-cart and seating were available for Annie or someone else that needed seating assistance, or .... well, I could go on forever -

Please do!

Cozy has been a very valuable supporter of the ever-more-nationwide all-age activity, performing all sorts of tasks behind the scenes, and even running a corps of his own (Mirage of Dayton, OH) in the mid-'90s. I doubt we'll ever properly document all that he has done for drum corps. He will be sorely missed....

Ace... you're one of the few writers I would consider "in his league" - I know he thought highly of your work...

From Les Diplomates, our condolences and prayers to Mr. Cozy family and friends.

Our Drum Corps activity will miss him.

Cozy went the extra mile to make sure that "Les Diplomates" were welcomed at DCA including having me announce the I & E competitors " en francais" and writing his alumni commentary in french after Rochester.