Best and Worst Uniforms (2008)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the Cadets uniform has been modernized with small changes.

I marched Garfield, and now I take care of all of the fittings and alterations for the corps. The only changes are the jacket zipping instead of buttons, and bibs instead of high waisted pants, and much shorter drop sashes and smaller tassles. It is as close to the original Cadet uniform as you can get today. It is, much lighter than the one I wore also.

I too, love the Anaheim Kingsmen unis! Simply gorgeous!

The Bluecoats look SWEET.

Agreed. Bluecoats do have excellent uniforms... I think I can distinguish them from BD in that there is no white (anymore). Very sharp looking.

when I see Crown in uniform and watch them on the field, I don't think at all of star.

I agree with this. I just hate the ugliness. :P

And I will also weep when Cavies switch unis. It's so sharp and has such an attitude built in, and it has more or less stood the test of time since they brought them in... obviously no Cadets, but nonetheless.

Are you bringing a butt-load of safety pins for old-times sake??? :tongue:

Back in the day, the unis were older than the kids who wore them!

They are obsessed with safety pins.....I just can't figure it out. The uniform is made so you don't need them at all, but I think it's a security thing...they just have to have them pinned. Wierd. And yes, my uniform back in the day was thick, hot, smelled like a horse when it got wet, and yes, very old, but we still looked good. Today's uniforms are not made to last for generations like the old school uni's.

Cadets: Regimented uniform, still Maroon and Gold. Did change from white to cram, but it helps, IMO, make the uniform look more "time worn" to an extent. However, they have always maintained their rights in regards to the uniform style (even with the creme pants) that everyone knew and loved.

Cadets wore white pants? They may have been a bit lighter than the pants worn now, but never white. Off white, light ivory, cream. I marched in the 70's...haven't worn white since then anyway. Maybe back in the beginning?

Edited by xtripleplayer77

Back to theh original subject. sorry for the hijack...

Most guard uniforms/costumes leave little to be desired. Does anyone take a look at who is going to be wearing these? I have seen far too many big bellies hanging out of lycra, packages shifting around, and boobs trying to escape! For the love of us fans, designers, measure your members and take a good hard look at what they do look like, not what you hope they will look like before designing!!!!

Spirit need more baby blue. I loved the 06 uniform. I thought I was going to like the black, but I don't anymore. It's time to brighten it back up.

correction: SPIRITS uniform pants are not black, they dark blue.

To whoever reads this and just wants to spit at me, I have to ask this; why is tradition so terrible? What is wrong with doing things as a performance ensemble to pay honor to your beginnings? And why is it that all people want to do is ignore the fact that the drum corps activity is very weak right now due to "innovation?" I think the drum corps activity is very close to innovating itself out of existence unless someone stands up and speaks for the traditions that separate drum corps from everyone else.

Your so right about many of the things you talk about with tradition and corps being true to themselves. However, your dead wrong about drum corps being weak because of innovation. This past years finals was probably the best ever (by far) from both a quality standpoint and an entertainment standpoint. Performance quality just keeps getting better and better. Times change and so does the activity. I agree the activity may end up killing itself...but it will not be because of innovation it will be because of the exclusive elitist attitudes of those who run DCI and their not realizing who they are or should be.

I marched Garfield, and now I take care of all of the fittings and alterations for the corps. The only changes are the jacket zipping instead of buttons, and bibs instead of high waisted pants, and much shorter drop sashes and smaller tassles. It is as close to the original Cadet uniform as you can get today. It is, much lighter than the one I wore also.

I too, love the Anaheim Kingsmen unis! Simply gorgeous!

It's close and i'm talking small changes. Drop sash, pant color, stitching on the sleeve, mirror replaced the buckle. Also the fit seems alot different....

Higher jacket? Modernized, not redesigned... and I hope it stays that way.

Yay, guard uniforms!

I loved how Blue Knights' guard uniform looked against the field and the dark of the corps proper, but I can't say that I'd want to wear that tight white lycra.. even if I WAS tan and skinny from marching all summer.

Phantom's tanline maintenance must've been fun - those certainly didn't leave much room for error. Wish they were brighter, sometimes you lost the guard on the field from up top or on video.

Glassmen's were great, I thought. Showed off their characters and made them fun to watch.

Scouts... :tongue: I actually liked '07 tons better.