Isn't It Amazing?

1975 Phoenix....Corky at his finest.

i'll stay with 72 cru as his finest. but phoenix was great. lot's of talent. loved all the guy's.

Edited by donincardona

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've gotta go with the 64' Hurcs...hello dolly, under the double eagle, tropical heat wave, mag 7, caravan& bill baily! that was my 1st time seeing them (64 world open)....that was the start of my life long bond with the Hurcs!....bias aside, being a closet Skyliner fan, i gotta say 71' was the best of so many great years. but imo the best of my time, and arguably all time, was the 80 Bucs....they had it all !!!!

i've gotta go with the 64' Hurcs...hello dolly, under the double eagle, tropical heat wave, mag 7, caravan& bill baily! that was my 1st time seeing them (64 world open)....that was the start of my life long bond with the Hurcs!....bias aside, being a closet Skyliner fan, i gotta say 71' was the best of so many great years. but imo the best of my time, and arguably all time, was the 80 Bucs....they had it all !!!!

71 sky was a great corps. i have to agree. but i think their show from 72 was better. elks parade and traffic jam.........YIKES. 80 bucs were good also. but i guess my age gets in the way. i like the older stuff. as for the hurcs i liked 69. queen of sheba, hang em high, mag 7. great.

1963 was a great repertoire for Hawthorne as well. "Carmen" selections for the off-the-line and color presentation, that fabulous "Peanut Vendor" concert, and "Johnny One Note," one of my all-time favorites.

Other outstanding favorites of mine: I agree with Don on the 1969 Hurricanes: "Queen of Sheba," "Rhapsody in Blue," "Walk On the Wild Side," "Hang 'Em High/Mag 7," just a great show overall. And the 1969 Yankee Rebels' original "Requiem For An Era," production, possibly eclipsed by the 1970 version. Creativity and really great execution sold that show.

Then there's 1972 Skyliners, 1976 Caballeros, 1977 Caballeros . . . all great repertoires.

Hard to choose just one Nanci!

1963 was a great repertoire for Hawthorne as well. "Carmen" selections for the off-the-line and color presentation, that fabulous "Peanut Vendor" concert, and "Johnny One Note," one of my all-time favorites.

Other outstanding favorites of mine: I agree with Don on the 1969 Hurricanes: "Queen of Sheba," "Rhapsody in Blue," "Walk On the Wild Side," "Hang 'Em High/Mag 7," just a great show overall. And the 1969 Yankee Rebels' original "Requiem For An Era," production, possibly eclipsed by the 1970 version. Creativity and really great execution sold that show.

Then there's 1972 Skyliners, 1976 Caballeros, 1977 Caballeros . . . all great repertoires.

Hard to choose just one Nanci!

yeah john the 69 rebels was the great total show. and what a drumline. i have to say though i was really ###### at the 69 a.l. nats. having to follow them was impossible. but i got over it. after all my buddy billy mcgrath was with them.

For this one I have to break it down to decades....First album I bought when I started in drum corps was The Princemen (1958 I believe)...they were my rock stars (were there even rocks stars back then) Then I saw them sometime in the late 50's early 60's in Toronto so they take the 1950s. As for the 60's I put my X next to Canada's Marching Ambassadors for their 1967 show follwed closely by their 1968. As for the 70's my hat goes off to the 1971 Hurcs, for me everything looked and sounded great. And an honourable mention to my own corps Imperial Knights' 1972 show just because!!

Edited by John Scott

I of course, must agree with Don... '72 Cru was flat out amazing... most powerful hornline EVER... '65 Cru was sweet too... (I was SO young)

I have no problem recognizing '75 Phoenix - "the wonder-corps"

but I would be remiss if I didn't give honorable mention to '68 Brigadiers... that may be the best and most "underrated" corps I ever performed with...

I of course, must agree with Don... '72 Cru was flat out amazing... most powerful hornline EVER... '65 Cru was sweet too... (I was SO young)

I have no problem recognizing '75 Phoenix - "the wonder-corps"

but I would be remiss if I didn't give honorable mention to '68 Brigadiers... that may be the best and most "underrated" corps I ever performed with...

they had a sweet hornline also. the exit Shenandoah made me cry the first time i heard it. :thumbdown:

Nanci said:

"Part of my question was in wondering if *theme type* shows held more water or not?"

I don't know about others, but for me, 'theme' shows are not necessarily any more entertaining than 'non-'theme' shows. I have enjoyed corps who sometimes featured more than one song from a single 'source' such as a movie or musical. For the most part though, I prefer shows that have a variety of songs from a variety of 'sources.' I think that's probably why I like Alumni corps so much, because most do not subscribe to a 'theme' approach.

Then too, isn't it true that many a corps 'identity' years ago, before so-called 'total-show' or 'theme' show concept was/is a theme in itself? For example, Reilly Raiders', Irish music, Hawthorne's Latin music, Skyliners' 'Big City' sounds, Reading's Nautical titles, etc. Much of that corps 'identity' or 'theme' concept seems to have been lost with many of today's competing corps.

And there were others as well. How many remember when the Sunrisers' music was heavily French-themed, for example, or the Hurricanes 'weather-themed' music ("Heat Wave," "Stormy Weather," etc.), and of course the Yankee Rebels' 'Southern' music? I'm sure there are others I'm not recalling also.

I still think variety is best. Themes can be okay, but nowadays I think some of the theme concepts are a bit of a stretch.