Isn't It Amazing?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The musical performances that have been written / performed by Corps over the years??

Which Corps / year stands out in your mind? And what made it so great in your ears / eyes??

Great question Nanci. I know this is a "All-age" forum, and there have been some great shows by Reading, Sky, Cabs, Brigs & Hurcs, just to name a few.

My top shows though, were performed by DCI corps. Number 1: 1989 SCV, with the "Phantom of the Opera" show & number 2: Madison's "Pirates of Lake Mendota" show, although I don't recall the year.

SCV's "Phantom of the Opera" show was the closest any corps has come to doing a Broadway show on a football field.

I guess the common thread in both shows was that they were entertaining.

Oh, and an honorable mention to all Bobby Hoffman created Bridgemen shows. :cool:

Edited by Oldbuc

Great question Nanci. I know this is a "All-age" forum, and there have been some great shows by Reading, Sky, Cabs, Brigs & Hurcs, just to name a few.

My top shows though, were performed by DCI corps. Number 1: 1989 SCV, with the "Phantom of the Opera" show & number 2: Madison's "Pirates of Lake Mendota" show, although I don't recall the year.

SCV's "Phantom of the Opera" show was the closest any corps has come to doing a Broadway show on a football field.

I guess the common thread in both shows was that they were entertaining.

Oh, and an honorable mention to all Bobby Hoffman created Bridgemen shows. :cool:

No need to worry... I posted the very same thread on the Jr. side too.

Thanx for the honest reply. Part of my question was in wondering if *theme type* shows held more water or not?

I agree whole heartedly... a show... any show.... should be entertaining.... on every level

PS: if you are tuned in to Diceman Radio... 89 SCV is coming up soon...

i'm biased of course but 1972 rochester crusaders was a great show. that was the sweetest hornline in dca ever. IMHO. also putting the a flag up on a shield 14 feet in the air was breathtaking. the concert of jc superstar was an incredible piece of music. really sweet. and the exit of ironsides was one of the ballsyest exits ever. that corps was very technically sound.

i'm biased of course but 1972 rochester crusaders was a great show. that was the sweetest hornline in dca ever. IMHO. also putting the a flag up on a shield 14 feet in the air was breathtaking. the concert of jc superstar was an incredible piece of music. really sweet. and the exit of ironsides was one of the ballsyest exits ever. that corps was very technically sound.

:cool: I agree that was a Great horn line. Trouble is that there are so many I find amazing, I really hate to pick one. If I had to choose, I would say 27th Lancers had some amazing talent as did Hurricanes and of course Bucs, and Truman Crawford wrote one of the finest shows with Yankee-Rebels that I still can't believe they didn't win in early 70's. Ironsides had Balls to the Walls. anyway you get the idea I think. :cool:

1963 Skyliners. With Dreitzer, Perrilloux and Cluna, giving the instruction and Winkleman giving the commands you had an all-star staff. Even being a Hawthorne guy myself I will say that the 1963 Dream BELONGED to New York! One of the greatest performances AND recordings in drum corps history!

Oh, and in 1963 I was NEGATIVE 22 years old... don't think that all "kids" don't care about the classics!

Edited by CorpsBuff

1975 Phoenix....Corky at his finest.

I'm good with this up to Ironside (guess I didn't like the TV show) :tongue:

Just keep going back to 1975 with the Sr corps on the Dream album: Cabs, Yankee-Rebels, Sky, Hurrcs. Also Phoenix being a few steps ahead with their book (Land of Make Believe and Firebird/Light My Fire mix). First season doing a full summer of shows so getting my eyes opened to DC had to be part of this..

I'm a horn player so the you'll notice the heavy hitting horn lines (with Rebs being the exception)...

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

1963 Skyliners. With Dreitzer, Perrilloux and Cluna, giving the instruction and Winkleman giving the commands you had an all-star staff. Even being a Hawthorne guy myself I will say that the 1963 Dream BELONGED to New York! One of the greatest performances AND recordings in drum corps history!

The very first album I ever bought was a three record set of the 63 Dream. I bought it in a 25 cent bin, probably around 1968 or 1969 when I marched in a GSC corps. I loved the Skyliners show; I did not see any drum corps live until 1964, so I never saw their 63 show. I don't think I ever saw a senior corps until 68 or 69, actually.

I kick myself today, because that album was lost quite a few years ago.