Isn't It Amazing?

Nanci said:

"Part of my question was in wondering if *theme type* shows held more water or not?"

I don't know about others, but for me, 'theme' shows are not necessarily any more entertaining than 'non-'theme' shows. I have enjoyed corps who sometimes featured more than one song from a single 'source' such as a movie or musical. For the most part though, I prefer shows that have a variety of songs from a variety of 'sources.' I think that's probably why I like Alumni corps so much, because most do not subscribe to a 'theme' approach.

Then too, isn't it true that many a corps 'identity' years ago, before so-called 'total-show' or 'theme' show concept was/is a theme in itself? For example, Reilly Raiders', Irish music, Hawthorne's Latin music, Skyliners' 'Big City' sounds, Reading's Nautical titles, etc. Much of that corps 'identity' or 'theme' concept seems to have been lost with many of today's competing corps.

And there were others as well. How many remember when the Sunrisers' music was heavily French-themed, for example, or the Hurricanes 'weather-themed' music ("Heat Wave," "Stormy Weather," etc.), and of course the Yankee Rebels' 'Southern' music? I'm sure there are others I'm not recalling also.

I still think variety is best. Themes can be okay, but nowadays I think some of the theme concepts are a bit of a stretch.

Not fer nuttin' ... but ... my fav all-time "early" theme show was Archie's CAMELOT! ... what a blockbuster show! ... and what a sweet sop section ...

:-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nanci said:

"Part of my question was in wondering if *theme type* shows held more water or not?"

I don't know about others, but for me, 'theme' shows are not necessarily any more entertaining than 'non-'theme' shows. I have enjoyed corps who sometimes featured more than one song from a single 'source' such as a movie or musical. For the most part though, I prefer shows that have a variety of songs from a variety of 'sources.' I think that's probably why I like Alumni corps so much, because most do not subscribe to a 'theme' approach.

Then too, isn't it true that many a corps 'identity' years ago, before so-called 'total-show' or 'theme' show concept was/is a theme in itself? For example, Reilly Raiders', Irish music, Hawthorne's Latin music, Skyliners' 'Big City' sounds, Reading's Nautical titles, etc. Much of that corps 'identity' or 'theme' concept seems to have been lost with many of today's competing corps.

And there were others as well. How many remember when the Sunrisers' music was heavily French-themed, for example, or the Hurricanes 'weather-themed' music ("Heat Wave," "Stormy Weather," etc.), and of course the Yankee Rebels' 'Southern' music? I'm sure there are others I'm not recalling also.

I still think variety is best. Themes can be okay, but nowadays I think some of the theme concepts are a bit of a stretch.

see john i agree with you all the way. but ya know it's our age that makes us think this way. that's how corps was back in the day when we marched. i liked it.

So then Cossetti did what he always does?

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

Someone mentioned Archie's Camelot??? I would certainly love to see their "King and I" again.... Where's McConkey when you need him?

...and they were all just rip offs of junior corps shows of the time! :tongue:

Just for those of you that don't frequent the current topics, lots of times there are threads claiming that DCA shows are just copies of DCI shows. So, I'm kidding.

yeah marty your right. back in the day juniors followed seniors. man how that changed.

theme shows? yes and no... cabs spanish a theme? I think that we developed a show content that made for good continuity... you could vary the style from tune to tune and still have a pre-scripted continuity...

1. Off the line - necessarilly written and played LOUD because you started so far from the audience

2. production number - you were in the face of the audience and could try something with a little more "flavor" like a show tune

3. color pre - pick it - it was necessary and accepted... after using up all the sousa marches in the 50's corps got more creative... 1965 Cru's "Valiant Years" with "Eternal Father/Navy Hymn" conclusion including Lutkin's "Sevenfold Amen" were a huge success...

4. concert - stand still and let it all hang out... try something a little more difficult as you're not marching

5. production number #2 - again you could look for a little more variety

6. Exit - traditionally a ballad starting out in the audience's face but quickly softening and making an appropriate long period marching away from the audience - once you turned to leave, the parts generally were not screechy and were probably flat out a little easier as you were still being judged to the finish line and this was often - with your lips hanging out the bell - the spot where the ticker could get buried...

7. Final fanfare - loud Ballsondo - judges stopped ticking as soon as you crossed the finish line... couldn't go back on the field so if you wished to get them to their feet... often a recap from something in the show... loud and in your face was just plain NECESSARY...

This stock recipe for a corps show added some sense of continuity and flow - today's shows require much more work and forethought to gain the necessary flow transition and continuity to spell success...

and I will say it till I die - if you HAVE to have a script for your audience (and the judges) to understand your show - you are in big trouble from the git go....

Now don't assume that I think change is bad - right off the bat I can say that much audience enjoyment was lost on the old starting and finish lines... just too darn far away... keeping the entire show in front of the audience makes much more sense... sometimes changes develop for reasons - change is not ALL bad... then there's sometimes change for change sake and that usually stinks...

Edited by TomPeashey

theme shows? yes and no... cabs spanish a theme? I think that we developed a show content that made for good continuity... you could vary the style from tune to tune and still have a pre-scripted continuity...

Way back in the day, horn lines played at basically two volumes:

1) Facing the stands, and 2) Facing backfield. :tongue:

Fran

Fran Haring said:

"Way back in the day, horn lines played at basically two volumes:

1) Facing the stands, and 2) Facing backfield.

Fran"

So that would be 'forte' (backfield), and what we sometimes jokingly refer to as 'gorilla forte' (facing stands)!

$1 to an old friend, John Mucciolo a former Sunriser (1968), who coined that term!