Why don't corps sell their titles?

With the evergrowing branding of everything from sports parks to bowl games, why don't drum corps sell their show titles to the highest bidder. It might not bring in millions, but would it hurt anyone if ashow was titled, " Colts 2009 Mystic Mornings, brought to you by Joe Smith"........ Say Joe bids 5000.00 to name it. Then Colts get 5000.00 for doing nothing more than adding Joes name to the title. Or, maybe sell the rights to the title at each individual show. 30 shows and 1000 bucks a show for some corps. There is money out there to be had, why are we not looking into more marketing from the fans within? What are the feelings out there. I really want to hear from Boo as I respect his words.

Edited by 84skyrydr

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the evergrowing branding of everything from sports parks to bowl games, why don't drum corps sell their show titles to the highest bidder. It might not bring in millions, but would it hurt anyone if ashow was titled, " Colts 2009 Mystic Mornings, brought to you by Joe Smith"........ Say Joe bids 5000.00 to name it. Then Colts get 5000.00 for doing nothing more than adding Joes name to the title. Or, maybe sell the rights to the title at each individual show. 30 shows and 1000 bucks a show for some corps. There is money out there to be had, why are we not looking into more marketing from the fans within? What are the feelings out there. I really want to hear from Boo as I respect his words.

If anyone was willing to pay that for that to happen, I'd live with it. Even if it would probably be intruding on all the recordings (and that's kind of the point), if it helps the drum corps stay on their feet financially, I'm down. If it's not necessary, which hopefully it won't be, then nah, but if it is... I guess. It's kind of similar to the hopefully fictitious scenario:

"Presenting their 2018 program, 'You're In Good Hands,' Drum Corps International is proud to present... Allstate Insurance Vanguard!"

That's an exaggeration of some kind of out of control situation which I think won't happen, but it's interesting to weigh the options... would being corporatized/branded be worth it if the alternative was the downfall of drum corps? I think yes... kind of a ends justify the means issue.

psst colts 2009 is called "fathoms"

because some people don't like to be consumer whores

I've often had the same kind thoughts, but more along the lines of selling the heads of the bass drums...you could easily replace the "Yamaha" with "Pepsi", for example, and I wouldn't think that it would become too much of a distraction. Of course, it wouldn't pay that well either, but every dollar helps.

In the "Old Days", Many Corps in fact did have a Sponsor Identification included in their name. A few exampes that come to mind are

First Fedral Blue Stars (First Fedral Savings and Loan)

Racine YMCA Kilties (YMCA)

Mercury Thunder Bolts (Mercury Marine)

Many Corps were sponsored by church organizations: Holy Name, St. Mary's Cardinals, St Lucys, St Kevin's, etc.

In the "Old Days", Many Corps in fact did have a Sponsor Identification included in their name. A few exampes that come to mind are

Many Corps were sponsored by church organizations: Holy Name, St. Mary's Cardinals, St Lucys, St Kevin's, etc.

The NY Islanders were sponsored by 7-Up, and had Cadet-style unis that were primarily 7-Up green with trim of orange and white, just like a 7-Up bottle...and had a 7-Up patch on their shoulder.

The Ballentine Brewers senior corps was another, sponsored by the beer company.

In the early 70's the Glassmen were the Glass City Optimist (Optimist Club)