Cadets 2009 to Focus on WSS

Maybe you should log off and stay off this site for a few months so maybe you can get rid of the "old timer's" attitude and then come back with a positive mind. Or at least wait until they put a show together before you start ragging on them. A new year brings a chance for something new to take shape. Try not to judge a book by it's cover.

Not This

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if this has already been said or whatnot, but I don't have the time to read 13 pages right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a lot of people are getting upset about the Cadets using a piano this summer. Me, I'm ok with it, and here is why:

- They WON'T be the only corps using a synth keyboard. I mean, other corps have openly stated they will be using the new opportunities provided by a synth but no one is getting upset at them.

- I have this image in my mind of them having a grand piano set on the middle of the field for some reason. And this doesn't bug me because last year they put a stage on the middle of the field, and at least a piano makes music. I highly doubt this will happen, but it's actually kind of neat to think about.

- Pianos are cool. They add a neat flavor. I'm actually excited to see what they do.

- No one knows how much piano they are going to use. It might turn out to be a very small deal.

Like all great talents, I'm sure Jimmer and George had a couple of shows that they'd like a "do over" opportunity. And I agree comletely that is hard for the living and the active to live up to the glorified memories of the giants of the past in any activity (just think about how we revere our sports figures, actors, etc.). That's a very valid and good point.

I'm not calling for anyone's ouster based on what this 2009 show may or may not be. I just think (again, my opinion) that there has been an overuse of props/gimmicks/crutches by this particular design team in the last few years, and I question why/if the corps intends to continue down that path.

A pure music and marching show based on a rich Bernstein literature seemed like a real possibility. You know the type of Cadet show I mean: great drill, superb horns and drums, and no distractions...other than, potentially, the people next to you "throwing their babies", as Zingali loved to say. Suddenly we hear that they'll be piano in the show, and as one who has found their narration and singing both amateurish and tremendously distracting, I'm disappointed because I'm an old school purist. I just don't want this stuff on the field, and I don't think the Cadets, in particular, have used this (singing, narration) to any advantage.

I hold the Cadets in high esteem and to a high standard. My original point is if they need "gimmicks/crutches/whatever" and still are not acheiving their formally high standards, perhaps it's time to change something up. I stand by that statement.

At this point in my life, I am first and foremost a fan, and I wish the corps well. I wish the kids marching this season a wonderful, enriching, and joyous experience. And I wish that the elements that brought so many of us to the activity in the first place are showcased to their very best potential, and hope that this staff is willing and able to acheive that goal.

Cheers!

Karen

This!

Forgive me if this has already been said or whatnot, but I don't have the time to read 13 pages right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a lot of people are getting upset about the Cadets using a piano this summer. Me, I'm ok with it, and here is why:

- They WON'T be the only corps using a synth keyboard. I mean, other corps have openly stated they will be using the new opportunities provided by a synth but no one is getting upset at them.

- I have this image in my mind of them having a grand piano set on the middle of the field for some reason. And this doesn't bug me because last year they put a stage on the middle of the field, and at least a piano makes music. I highly doubt this will happen, but it's actually kind of neat to think about.

- Pianos are cool. They add a neat flavor. I'm actually excited to see what they do.

- No one knows how much piano they are going to use. It might turn out to be a very small deal.

Sure other corps are planning to use a synth keyboard, but . . .other than Boston 2004, who has used the new "toys" and "tools" the most in the five years since amplification became legal? Who has used the story-narrative more than anyone else?

The precedent is there; and you're entirely right, it could be very little usage . . .but, based on previous years, people have a little bit of cause for concern who are worried about overkill.

We'll see. :tongue:

This!

You have something on your nose.

Geez. We got it. You agree with EVERYTHING she has to say. You made it perfectly clear the first 5 times.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Sure other corps are planning to use a synth keyboard, but . . .other than Boston 2004, who has used the new "toys" and "tools" the most in the five years since amplification became legal? Who has used the story-narrative more than anyone else?

The precedent is there; and you're entirely right, it could be very little usage . . .but, based on previous years, people have a little bit of cause for concern who are worried about overkill.

We'll see. :music:

Based on prior years you shouldn't worry, since there has not yet been a case of overkill. :tongue:

Based on prior years you shouldn't worry, since there has not yet been a case of overkill. :tongue:

I can never find the maroon kool-aid at the grocery store. What aisle is it in Mike? :music: