Scott McCormick, President/CEO $141,532

Robert Morrison, Exec. VP $138,065

Other Directors - unpaid

Eric Martin, Exec. VP $98,016

Camilla Stasa, Band Relations $63,056

Debbie Laferty-Asbill, Marktg & Comm $63,352

Jennifer Schussler, Controller $57.870

Any other employees would be paid under $50,000

Interesting indeed. My math is not always right but the top salaries add up to $561,891 a year.

And the BOA Bands get no money from shows.(is this true)

If the above is ture then BOA asking for money with out fixing the top salaries is like the big three flying to congress in privite jets asking for a bail out. :thumbup:

Dean

that means nothing when getting the funding.

IMO, the problem is too many people setting the standards for what needs to be taught are way too far removed from the reality of the classroom setting.

no, the people setting the standards don't want children to be able to think for themselves. They want them to look to the government to solve all their problems. Cradle to grave society...gotta love Marx.

/political rant off

From Music For All's 2008 990 Tax Return:

Other Directors - unpaid

That is a lot of money to pay folks...I thought BOA was a non-profit???

My brother is a sales manager for a large travel company. His specialty is travel with HS and college bands and choirs. There business is of course way down.

Very simply, with factory closings and other job losses in many parts of the country, just maintaining a band program is challenge enough without the expenses of BOA competitions and travel. Families where one or more parent is jobless simply don't have the extra income for fundraisers and travel for their children. The basics of holding on to the huse and feeding the family are suddenly the main concern.

Yeah, and you can see the tie-in to drum corps and how the same kinds of pressures are likely to affect DCI adversely as well.

Our family is now on a tight budget for the first time in a long time and we're examining every expense like this, too, and in many cases saying "No" internally to many things we would have spent money on before. For us, education's a pretty high priority, but different families are going to make different choices and some are out of wiggle room even for top priorities.

BOA's executive salaries appear reasonable to me, although I guess they could look at shedding one or both VPs. TOB exec pay may be less as jeffs suggests, but I had the same thought: BOA must be overpaying its execs, because that's so often where small to midsize NFPs get in trouble, but it doesn't look like the clear source of the problem to me.

Yes, the big stadiums and high rental fees could be trouble, too. Ditto for DCI, if fewer corps can go in 2010 and beyond.

Edited by Peel Paint

Yeah, and you can see the tie-in to drum corps and how the same kinds of pressures are likely to affect DCI adversely as well.

Our family is now on a tight budget for the first time in a long time and we're examining every expense like this, too, and in many cases saying "No" internally to many things we would have spent money on before. For us, education's a pretty high priority, but different families are going to make different choices and some are out of wiggle room even for top priorities.

BOA's executive salaries appear reasonable to me, although I guess they could look at shedding one or both VPs. TOB exec pay may be less as jeffs suggests, but I had the same thought: BOA must be overpaying its execs, because that's so often where small to midsize NFPs get in trouble, but it doesn't look like the clear source of the problem to me.

All executives have voluntarily taken a pay cut, and Bob Morrison has resigned.

That is a lot of money to pay folks...I thought BOA was a non-profit???

Sigh ... no matter how many times this comes up and is corrected, the misinformation continues ....

No offense because yours is a common misconception ... one I always try to correct. "Non-profit" (actually the correct term is "Not-for-profit" doesn't mean that the organization can't pay it's employees well or even that it can't make or seek to make a profit. It is a legal (tax) classification that means that the primary purpose of the organization is not to make a profit, but rather for some other purpose (charitable, educational, religious, etc). Think of the term as short for NOT FOR (the primary purpose of) PROFIT as opposed to FOR (the primary purpose of) PROFIT. In order to meet their "not-for-profit" purpose, an organization can pay whatever they want, otherwise organize however they want, and make as much bottom line profit as they want as long as that profit is used to further this overriding purpose. (As opposed to turning that profit over to the shareholders or other owners as in "For-Profit" companies whose overriding purpose is to make a profit). Lots of "Not-for-profits" make money; lots of "For-Profits" lose money. No matter as long as the "profit" in each case is used correctly.

As for the salaries listed -- it takes money to attract good people. These salaries are well below market for those positions which indicates that these folks derive some benefit from their jobs other than pay, like say satisfaction -- a common trait among those who choose to work for not-for-profits. As is usually the case in situations like this in both the for-profit and not-for-profit worlds, cutting executive pay rarely if ever helps the situation and usually exascerbates it by driving away good people, making recruiting new idea people difficult and saps incentive from the good folks who are already doing their best for below-market pay.

If BOA executive/employees have volutarily taken pay cuts ... well, more power to them and I respect their dedication. All I'm saying is that that's usually not a good long-term solution to real financial problems. :thumbup:

Edited by Liam

From Music For All's 2008 990 Tax Return:

Other Directors - unpaid

:thumbup: I work for a company with $500,000,000 in annual sales and our President barely makes that. What type of revenue stream does BOA/Music For All have that they pay those kinds of salaries?

:thumbup: I work for a company with $500,000,000 in annual sales and our President barely makes that. What type of revenue stream does BOA/Music For All have that they pay those kinds of salaries?

Wow -- seriously not enough information to make this kind of a judgement.

1) Do you know for sure the TOTAL compensation package of your president (including benefits, pension, stock options, etc)?

2) Annual sales don't mean diddley as a comparison between two companies in unrelated industries. What is your product costs and what are the margins that $500M brings in vs another industry without such product costs? $100M revenue in one field could make it a much bigger organization that $500M in another (for example).

3) Even the term "President" is not necessarily comparable between any two organizations. Maybe what it takes to get someone to fill that role in one organization/field is not the same as in another.

Please don't take any of this personally ... I'm just pointing out that no two organizations are the same and to make blanket judgements with just a few outside pieces of information is suspect, imo. Honestly, $150k to fill the role that Mr. McCormick does doesn't seem outlandish at all to me. Nor do any of the other salaries listed here. To think that because BOA is a "not-for-profit" and related to high school band shows, that somehow the people that have real jobs there should not be compensated fairly for their work is somthing I just don't understand. I doubt there's a long line of folks lined up to take over this workload which is a good indicator of whether someone is under- or over-paid.

Edited by Liam