How important is the theme...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it matters. Would you rather watch spartacus or pursuit of happiness? Theme is a large role.

i think themes are great to have when used effectively like in phatoms show last year. however most corps feel a need to pick a theme but many pick a poor theme that won't work well with drum corps or one that the audience could never hope understand ie the cadets who have to tell you whats going on through narration instead of having their music, drill, dance/choreography tell the story.don't get me wrong i love well done themed shows but personally i'd rather come and watch a corps pick 3 or 4 ###### songs then go march and play their ### off and blow me away with their marching/playing ability rather than try to convey many times an abstract theme.

People confuse themes and storylines. I can't recall a single show in the last two decades that didn't have a theme. Where shows get bogged down is when they attempt to tell a complicated or too literal story and do it in a ham-fisted manner. Which is not to say it can't be done....it's just difficult to pull off.

Themes tie the show together. That's not actually as big of a deal as it sounds. If your theme is a story, then ya, it's going to have a lot of depth (Phantom 08), but if your theme is something like "Be loud and make people clap" then you've got a lot more playroom (Madison 98).

So yes, themes are important to tie the show together, but in general that's not that big of a deal.

People confuse themes and storylines. I can't recall a single show in the last two decades that didn't have a theme. Where shows get bogged down is when they attempt to tell a complicated or too literal story and do it in a ham-fisted manner. Which is not to say it can't be done....it's just difficult to pull off.

:thumbup:

quoted for truth

I don't really have a problem with themes as long as the show doesn't really need it. (i.e., Crown '07, LOOOO '08)

When a show requires a theme to understand it, then I don't like it....that make sense? (various shows lately...too many in fact)

DING DING DING, we have a winner!

I like themes, but themes can be as broad as we play Jazz to something as specific as Spartucus. I am not beeching ot anything put today's shows are so convoluted and non melodic for the most part that I waste more time trying to figure out how the theme works than just enjoying the show

Ken