The feeling never leaves you

Kay

Donnie and "Cops VS Cabs"

This link is not being posted taunt or rehash what should or should not have happened, but simply because, it reminds me, one of the many reasons why once you do DC, it never leaves you no matter how long time has gone since you marched your last show.

With the world of Facebook taking off, and "old" friends reconnecting, times of warm and fuzzy's come back talking about "remember this, remember that"...........

All these years later, I think of that night and the emotions hit me just has strong as they did that night. Perhaps the emotion itself has changed. No matter what, the emotion of pride has never changed, never will. A group of people came together like nothing anyone outside of DC could ever imagine or understand.

Thanks Donnie - this is one of my favorite's of all time!!!!

This link is not being posted taunt or rehash what should or should not have happened, but simply because, it reminds me, one of the many reasons why once you do DC, it never leaves you no matter how long time has gone since you marched your last show.

With the world of Facebook taking off, and "old" friends reconnecting, times of warm and fuzzy's come back talking about "remember this, remember that"...........

All these years later, I think of that night and the emotions hit me just has strong as they did that night. Perhaps the emotion itself has changed. No matter what, the emotion of pride has never changed, never will. A group of people came together like nothing anyone outside of DC could ever imagine or understand.

That is what DC is all about!!!!!!!

Kate

I was long since out of the competing corps by then, but I can identify strongly with Kay and Donnie both. There were several such moments over the years that make you stop and say to yourself 'God, I love this!' or 'Yeah, that's what this drum corps thing is all about!'

I recall the night of the Bucs' contest in 1968, when our color guard captain Frank Latella was thought to have knocked down a judge. Not only did our emotions run from the depths to the heights that night, but the Buccaneers were so gracious to us after the incident. That night all the way home in the car, we talked about the 'incident,' and how classy the Bucs were the way they handled the aftermath.

Thanks, Kay, for bringing this to our attention, and thanks, Donnie, for writing it up on your site. By any chance do you have a write-up about that fateful night in '68?

Hope all is well with you, Kay.

Your Right it never does...LOL

As a recent friend put it "The Smell of Diesel, Fresh Cut Grass, and Hot asphalt are all aphrodisiacs. I would throw in the coconut smell of sun block but it is all because of DC and it is as true for me today as it was 25 years ago. I guess that is why I decided to go march again after all these years.

That night will go down as one of my top ten moments in Drum corps.

I recall the night of the Bucs' contest in 1968, when our color guard captain Frank Latella was thought to have knocked down a judge. Not only did our emotions run from the depths to the heights that night, but the Buccaneers were so gracious to us after the incident. That night all the way home in the car, we talked about the 'incident,' and how classy the Bucs were the way they handled the aftermath.

My #1 "those guys are classy" moment came at 1978 AL Champs at New Orleans. Grand total of two Sr corps competed, Westshore and Chicago Connection with WSM winning pretty easily. I was thinking "Gee if we had stayed home ChiConn would have been the winner so I'd be kinda PO'ed if I was them". Nope, Chicago Connection applauded us during retreat and next day some of them told us "We're just glad one of the other corps won."

"other corps" = not one of the top DCA corps.....

I really miss it,I was playing in drumming clubs in NY,,but in AZ,there's nothing...What a great addiction..viva la corps

Edited by zarblap

I really miss it,I was playing in drumming clubs in NY,,but in AZ,there's nothing...What a great addiction..viva la corps

You could volunteer at "The Academy"

• 2 weeks later...