The Reading Buccaneers

Reading Buccaneers  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What makes them consistently superior?

• Better Design Staff
    • Better Instructional Staff
    • More Talented Membership
    • Better Work Ethic
    • Combination of the above
    • Other

TA...see irony here?

when people praised brigs during their run ( and you were tied to them) a few other came to the attack...and wow, did you defend the Brigs. rightfully so, great ####### corps. Anyone whod ared to say whatever about the Brigs was wrong, incorrect, misinformed etc.

now the shoe's on the other foot. ironic no?

:blink:

You know folks, it's really good humor reading along with the banter about who's superior to who. I can be like so many others who "can't relate" to direct involvement with current or past "mini-dynasties" in recent years of DCA. For those that feel obligated to make the obligatory negative comments regarding their vote on the poll...LOOK AT THE POLL !!

I sure think it's more than one reason why the Bucs have put together such a streak..Doesn't the poll indicate that? :unsure:

Picking nits about whatever seems to bug everyone else's 'favorite' corps other than Reading is "a waste of bandwidth" ($1 to whomever used that)

It's kinda funny seeing how many folks come out to rant..

How come there aren't more Left Coaster fanatics out there ? Or folks from MY part of the world..

Old (whining) habits die hard I guess. :shutup:

Let's give the champions their due and if it's some grand secret to their success, may they share it with the rest of the corps.. :thumbup:

Pat

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know folks, it's really good humor reading along with the banter about who's superior to who. I can be like so many others who "can't relate" to direct involvement with current or past "mini-dynasties" in recent years of DCA. For those that feel obligated to make the obligatory negative comments regarding their vote on the poll...LOOK AT THE POLL !!

I sure think it's more than one reason why the Bucs have put together such a streak..Doesn't the poll indicate that? :blink:

Picking nits about whatever seems to bug everyone else's 'favorite' corps other than Reading is "a waste of bandwidth" ($1 to whomever used that)

It's kinda funny seeing how many folks come out to rant..

How come there aren't more Left Coaster fanatics out there ? Or folks from MY part of the world..

Old (whining) habits die hard I guess. :shutup:

Let's give the champions their due and if it's some grand secret to their success, may they share it with the rest of the corps.. :thumbup:

Pat

It's "Who's superior to whom", but who's picking nits here. :unsure:

I think the disgruntled whiner count on this thread is only 1.

It's "Who's superior to whom", but who's picking nits here. :shutup:

I think the disgruntled whiner count on this thread is only 1.

Sorry Marty, I AIN'T NO english teacher (that's my sister BTW)..Even one kinda spoils the fun, even for those of us from the great northern wasteland.. :unsure:

Please to continue with the poll... :thumbup: Like Fishing poll, right?

Pat

well the reading buccaneers are truly superior through their fluid movements, technique, as well as their musical abilities. also, if you really watch them, all of their members are physically fit individuals for the movements they achieve. no corps has won finals more than four years in a row, do you think reading can tip the scales to achieve that winning benchmark of 4 plus years?

no corps has won finals more than four years in a row, do you think reading can tip the scales to achieve that winning benchmark of 4 plus years?

There are two answers to that question. Either the Buccaneers will win.... or they won't.

Captain Obvious, over and out...... :thumbup:

Fran

Thanks for getting it Jeff (I was hoping someone would - I'm not some bitter whiner who needs to do my "talking on the field" - I'm playing "the other side" of the debate from last decade.)...

Not in much mood to fight today... eyes are on the Buffalo Airport

i never look to fight. i look to see you admit i'm right and my football team is better than yours :thumbup:

i never look to fight. i look to see you admit i'm right and my football team is better than yours :thumbup:

Jeff,

It's always an honor to fight with you...

Except this time...

You are absolutely right... and that's (sort of) my point:

Can you imagine, 6 or 7 years ago, someone starting a poll about how "superior" the Brigs are? How many posts before THAT thread would get ugly? And I mean really ugly; not this low-level smack that MartyBucs is rolling with.

So, let me recap:

You have a poll asking people to choose the reason that the Bucs are "superior." A Buc Alumnus from the 1940's reveals that it's the fault of the "competition."

One guy - one guy! - takes umbrage (that's right, "umbrage" I say! Look it up Marty) and oh my goodness, that one guy must be attacked! He's a "whiner"... he's "threatened" by our superiority... he should do his "talking on the field". Sheesh, good thing it's only one guy (or is it?).

My point is that (sorry for not spelling it out earlier) since they haven't swept every caption, maybe some people don't consider them "superior." And since I spend a lot of time around Empire's brass staff and players... I find MartyBucs' comment insulting (Are they "whiners?" Should they do their "talking on field?").

And notice I've been careful not to disparage the current performers of the Bucs; their hard work speaks for itself. And you can look at ALL of my posts - I've never dissed those kids and never will.

I just have a problem with a handful of thin-skinned Bucs alumni who are not handling their newfound "superiority" very well. They must have forgotten how nice we all were as they were leaving retreat early for 20 years.

(So now Marty's going to call me a name and insult me in some personal way because he thinks he knows me - you don't)

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

To try to get back on the thread topic a little more . . .I think one of the biggest differences between Reading before the "championship run" and after was the ability of the design staff to know what the group could handle.

The 2004 show seemed to be just beyond the reach of the "polish" you associate with groups that are vying for a championship (not that they've been really out of contention for one since 97) . . .listen to the difference in the 2004 and 2005 ballads for an easy comparison. Ever since, it seems that the staff and members are pretty confident in what the group can (and can't) handle. Building around your strengths usually yields results, IMO.

It's no secret what keeps 'em up near the top: people like to be around winners and want to be part of a "winner". If I'm Timmy Tuba who wants to go march for a DCI corps one day and I'm fairly close to Reading (and might have seen them at a local DCI show), my choice is pretty obvious.

That doesn't take anything away from any other DCA corps; eventually, someone will step up and take the crown. Hell, if Reading wins again in 2009 . . . then maybe that will inspire someone else to create program choices that can "six-peat" just to top it.

Hooray for spirited competition and the diverse styles of entertainment DCA provides. :thumbup: