Carolina Crown Announces 2009 Program

Crown's 2009 show announcement has disinterested me in what they have to offer. Regardless of how awesome (or poor) the show will turn out, i feel that the early hype and the frugal explanations takes away from what will actually be on the field. It puts a Pre-determined idea of what the show should be into my head.. then crown (or any corp) has the burden of living up to my imaginary standards of what their show should be. This pre-determined standard has never been met and will never be met, because it only exists in my mind as an elaboration of the small amount of info given to me by the announcement.

I have found that all of my favorite shows are those that I knew the very least about BEFORE seeing them live.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown's 2009 show announcement has disinterested me in what they have to offer. Regardless of how awesome (or poor) the show will turn out, i feel that the early hype and the frugal explanations takes away from what will actually be on the field. It puts a Pre-determined idea of what the show should be into my head.. then crown (or any corp) has the burden of living up to my imaginary standards of what their show should be. This pre-determined standard has never been met and will never be met, because it only exists in my mind as an elaboration of the small amount of info given to me by the announcement.

I have found that all of my favorite shows are those that I knew the very least about BEFORE seeing them live.

You mean to tell me that you can get ANY sense of what Crown's 2009 presentation will be like based on that unintelligible, stream of thought, coma inducing pablum of a show synopsis. I certainly hope their show will make more sense than that!! Who comes up with this nonsense....and why do they even bother???

Did anyone ever stop to think that storylines are kind of helpful with the current judging system? That being said, if you come up with a show of good, non-related music you want to do, or even loosely-related music, and then sort of BS a storyline to fit those, what would you end up with? Probably a show with great music, great crowd appeal, and with a story that would leave the folks who like that kind of thing either disappointed or oblivious to the fact that there is indeed a storyline. It seems to me like Crown's just trying to come up with a way to walk the line between scoring well and still keeping the fans happy. I personally hope they continue, as I'm more inclined to be interested in their musical selections and not really a storyline. I've loved their stuff for the past several years because it's great music and an entertaining visual program, and I didn't really pay as much attention to the story.

Some people aren't going to like that because they seem to want more "meaning" to their drum corps shows. For me, it's drum corps. It's a big thing to me, but not one to be taken so seriously that I need for each show to have some sort of insight into the meaning of life. It's just not that serious.

Edited by Nex

So don't read any show announcements and wait until your butt is sitting in the stands come June.

I intend to let the show speak for itself once it's on the field.

If today's camp performance is any indication, I'm gonna like it a lot.

Edited by 27/soa

In true epic form, the corps will open with an introduction in medias res, revealing a glimpse of “everyday life” and an optimistic longing for the IDEAL. As the show progresses, that optimistic longing will be overtaken by unfortunate devastation as an apocalyptic event transforms and transports everything to...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...6&Itemid=39

It sounds like they're doing "Land of the Lost." :thumbup:

You know, "Marshall, Will and Holly...on a routine expedition met the greatest earthquake ever known..."

That would explain the apocalyptic event (what the earthquake reveals), the initial beauty, the quirky creatures (dinosaurs, Chakka and sleestacks) and finally getting home.

And a perfect tie in with this summer's movie.

It sounds like they're doing "Land of the Lost." :thumbup:

You know, "Marshall, Will and Holly...on a routine expedition met the greatest earthquake ever known..."

That would explain the apocalyptic event (what the earthquake reveals), the initial beauty, the quirky creatures (dinosaurs, Chakka and sleestacks) and finally getting home.

You know, if they'd announced THAT as their show, I'd make sure my butt was in the stands to see them. The thing they did announce? Meh.

You mean to tell me that you can get ANY sense of what Crown's 2009 presentation will be like based on that unintelligible, stream of thought, coma inducing pablum of a show synopsis. I certainly hope their show will make more sense than that!! Who comes up with this nonsense....and why do they even bother???

No, i do not know what the show is going to be like. From the announcement all i have to go by is a few sentences which sparks my imagination of what i think the show might be like, which goes back to my original post.

About the judging aspect and a storyline being able to tie unrelated music together, that is a great point. I do also think that it is possible to arrange music in a way that it flows together without a storyline. Theme or no theme, story or no story, they are undoubtedly going for the most entertainment possible. No show designers (to my knowledge) sit down and say "ok guys lets make the most boring show ever" or "so our goal this year is 9th, we need a 9th place show."

When all is said and done, what the crowd responds to is what is on the field, not what is announced in winter, which also goes back to my original post.

I am excited to hear some elvis costello on the field.

Welcome to "Jump the Shark: Drum Corps Edition."