To Parade or Not To Parade...

parades  

68 members have voted

1. 1. General question: To Parade or Not To Parade??? Take it any way you want to.

• To Parade!!
    • Not To Parade!!

Not to make Jeff infamous or anything, but he raised a question about parade corps in the DCI success/failure thread I thought deserved its own thread.

No qualifying thoughts on my part...feel free to enter your own here. General question: To Parade or Not To Parade???

My own opinion...I couldn't ever stand parades...most uninspiring thing ever. No drill...march in straight lines...turn corners...repeat. BORING!!

I did not like parades in high school!

I did not like the Bristol Parade! (though I got a swank patch!)

I did not like Homecoming Parade in college!

I did not like the 4 on the 4th in '94!

Thank GOD we didn't have to do the silly parade to kick off DCI Championships Week in '92!

Just...don't...like...parades! Maybe it's a Texas thing. Northeast and Midwest, maybe its a different thing. Kind of like California wine...what's the point?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as we all don't like doing parades, they are a valuable and easy way to make money for the organization, especially the 3 or 4 on the 4th of July.

You do your 10 minute show and you're done. You do a 3 mile parade on a hot humid day and your done in more ways than one.

Parades are also a valuable way of recruiting new members and are a neccessary part of any drum corps or marching band.

So suck it up and do them.

exactly. i asked as they way parade corps was mentioned in that thread was as if there were corps that existed of kids solely to do parades.

hell, I survived Pittsfield twice, and it sucked, but it paid bills. the same with the MD marathon of 4 in a day

As much as we all don't like doing parades, they are a valuable and easy way to make money for the organization, especially the 3 or 4 on the 4th of July.

You do your 10 minute show and you're done. You do a 3 mile parade on a hot humid day and your done in more ways than one.

Parades are also a valuable way of recruiting new members and are a neccessary part of any drum corps or marching band.

So suck it up and do them.

haha...I'm 35...don't have to!!!

:blink::wacko::wacko:

Just my opinion...but I doubt there are many folks these days who see a corps in parade and think..."Wow, I have GOT to do that!!" Maybe an old guy who thinks, "Man, I WISH I had done that!!"

Sucked it up...did them...hated every one of them.

Well, there WAS the one when my grandfather was battling cancer and came out on the parade route to see me. THAT one I shall never forget! He was on my side of the formation and as I went by (didn't see him as I approached where he was!) he said, "Good job, boy." I was such a hard ### at that point that I didn't even flinch, but I knew it was him even though I had just passed him and didn't see him. Only thing I would ever change would be that I would have fallen out of formation, walked up to him and given him a big hug and kiss...he passed away the next year and I think that was the last time he saw me in performance. Never saw me in drum corps...now THAT would have thrilled him!

But all the rest, you can have.

exactly. i asked as they way parade corps was mentioned in that thread was as if there were corps that existed of kids solely to do parades.

hell, I survived Pittsfield twice, and it sucked, but it paid bills. the same with the MD marathon of 4 in a day

See, maybe its just perspective. As others have noted, parades in Texas are practically non-existent. Maybe that's b/c Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day are usually balls hot and nobody wants to be outside longer than about 10 minutes...who knows. But I cannot even think of 4 parades per year that are done in the area. Little, local things I'm sure...probably the same thing we did in corps...but I would be hard-pressed to tell you where they were and on which holiday!

Maybe MD, Chicago, RI and Boston just do more parades than we do...we do football games real well, though! Does that count for anything???

parades or pee-raids are a necessary evil of drum corps.

they can be fun. usually they aren't.

nut up and do them.

To parade. We don't need traditions (like the multi corps encores that don't happen much anymore) to be further diminished.

I can only speak of the past, parades with revenue, good to do, parades at Disneyland and Disney World, hot and long but heh fun to be there, parades with media exposure, good, but play the camera. We lost a few points during parades 30 years ago but were on the 6 o'clock news. Got one lil ole drum corps here. 'Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till its gone'. ($1 Joni Mitchell). The best parade in the north-north-west these days is the Silly Summer Parade :-)

um..edit my post...parades, good or not?...meh...whatever works for you... :)

Edited by lindap

I don't mind them, it's entertaining to look at the people in the "audience", some dance, some don't make any facial expressions, some clap to the cadence. Would I want to do parades all summer? **** no, but it's different from the rehearsal and shows, which is why I *usually* enjoy them. Maybe my mind will change after junior corps this summer, who knows.

I hated doing parades....but i hated tracking too...

Some things in drum corps you just have to learn to bear :blink:

Of course...give it a few years...DCI will probably eliminate parades...and tracking too lol