To Parade or Not To Parade...

parades  

68 members have voted

1. 1. General question: To Parade or Not To Parade??? Take it any way you want to.

• To Parade!!
    • Not To Parade!!

I loved parades. All three years I was on one end of a five man tenor line. Usually with five tenors stretched across the road the end guys were right on top of the people sitting on the side of the road. If someone was too close I always gave it a little "extra" to make sure they could hear me. :blink:

Although, after you do like three parades on the 4th of July carrying those heavy tenors, you tend to get a little edgy. I almost got into a fight with the guy sitting behind me on the bus one year.

And after carrying those Star of Indiana squads in the Orange Bowl parade after the '88 season and the snare line getting all the water during the parade, I was glad I was done with parades. My left shoulder hurt so bad by the time it was done, I thought it would never feel good again.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 9 years old my brother (13 years older than me) was attending Baylor University. My family went to the BU homecoming parade, and I recall very vividly literally feeling the drumline as they passed and knowing right then and there that I had experienced something special. That was the first time I knew what music could do to a person, and I wanted to be a part of it.

I know a lot of people are cynical about parades, but I'm going to bet I'm not alone in my childhood experience. Parades are a service to a community, and if you're lucky you'll reach a kid or two and get them hooked. And when a corps shows up at a parade, people definitely notice the difference in bearing and attitude. It's mesmerizing when done right!

So take pride in representing your corps and this activity when you're out there on the parade routes this summer. I guarantee some kid out there will want to do what you're doing.

Not to make Jeff infamous or anything, but he raised a question about parade corps in the DCI success/failure thread I thought deserved its own thread.

No qualifying thoughts on my part...feel free to enter your own here. General question: To Parade or Not To Parade???

My own opinion...I couldn't ever stand parades...most uninspiring thing ever. No drill...march in straight lines...turn corners...repeat. BORING!!

I did not like parades in high school!

I did not like the Bristol Parade! (though I got a swank patch!)

I did not like Homecoming Parade in college!

I did not like the 4 on the 4th in '94!

Thank GOD we didn't have to do the silly parade to kick off DCI Championships Week in '92!

Just...don't...like...parades! Maybe it's a Texas thing. Northeast and Midwest, maybe its a different thing. Kind of like California wine...what's the point?

"...what's the point?" More people (for the most part) are going to see a corps in a parade than any drum corps show, thus bringing awareness to the activity itself and (moreso) to each corps, secondly....funding.

haha...I'm 35...don't have to!!!

:blink::wacko::wacko:

Just my opinion...but I doubt there are many folks these days who see a corps in parade and think..."Wow, I have GOT to do that!!" Maybe an old guy who thinks, "Man, I WISH I had done that!!"

Too bad there aren't any Alumni-type corps in your area. Parades we do in the Northeast pay well and the people show their appreciation very well. Much as I disliked parades during my competative days it feels good entertaining people. The mindset here is caring about what the audience wants instead of what the performer wants. Also do what helps the corps out by doing a paying gig.

And our group ranges from HS age to mid 70s.....

And second want Bill wrote: almost everyone watching on the parade route this is the ONLY chance they get to see a corps. Too bad most of them look at the 3V horns and thing we're a brass band. Every year I hear the dreaded words "What school are you from".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

When I was 9 years old my brother (13 years older than me) was attending Baylor University. My family went to the BU homecoming parade, and I recall very vividly literally feeling the drumline as they passed and knowing right then and there that I had experienced something special. That was the first time I knew what music could do to a person, and I wanted to be a part of it.

I know a lot of people are cynical about parades, but I'm going to bet I'm not alone in my childhood experience. Parades are a service to a community, and if you're lucky you'll reach a kid or two and get them hooked. And when a corps shows up at a parade, people definitely notice the difference in bearing and attitude. It's mesmerizing when done right!

So take pride in representing your corps and this activity when you're out there on the parade routes this summer. I guarantee some kid out there will want to do what you're doing.

Agreed. One time when I was in the juniors we did a parade at a school that was designed to house and treat people with severe birth defects - mostly down syndrome. We didn't charge anything. I was young and innocent and had never seen people in that condition before. They were all along the parade route and cheering like hell for us. Yeah.....it was worth it.

I was lucky enough to be in Drum Corps! I cannot complain of doing parades. The only parade was the Bunker Hill Day Parade, Charlestown, MA. As an 11 year old kid carrying a large bass drum that seemed larger than me. We marched up and down some very big hills. Parades gave you the disipline and that extra stammina to carry on through the seasons. I am all for parades, it is to bad you do not see many Drum Corps do them anymore. :blink::wacko::wacko:

Well said Terri. A no-brainer of a non-issue: of course yes. A highly visible, easily done community service that you get paid for in cash and massively positive publicity. And kids' dreams are born there. Yeah it's fun and harda** to complain about parades, but if deep down you don't enjoy and make the best of every opportunity to put on the uniform and perform and make people feel good, I think you're missing the point.

Too bad there aren't any Alumni-type corps in your area. Parades we do in the Northeast pay well and the people show their appreciation very well. Much as I disliked parades during my competative days it feels good entertaining people. The mindset here is caring about what the audience wants instead of what the performer wants. Also do what helps the corps out by doing a paying gig.

And our group ranges from HS age to mid 70s.....

And second want Bill wrote: almost everyone watching on the parade route this is the ONLY chance they get to see a corps. Too bad most of them look at the 3V horns and thing we're a brass band. Every year I hear the dreaded words "What school are you from".

Totally agree,,, i hated parades as a junior,, knew we had to do them for the $$,, and yes,, we did pick up members every year from doing local parades... double bonus,,

Now,, i do parades because they're fun.. like you said,, we play to the crowd,, and the crowd responds.. it's a blast !!!!

During those many 'stops' we always seem to come across,, we have a big ol contra player that breaks ranks and will take his horn to a group of kids and talk about it... show them how to hold,, let them try to pick it up, and then play the A/W bear theme.. the kids,, and the parents love it!!! You can't BUY that type of publicity,, and you're getting PAID for it...

Our corps ranges from HS age to over 80 (bass drummer no less) 10 years young last year,,, and in high demand,, which in turn means,,, more $$

I wouldnt' have it any other way now...

Edited by DoctorNik

Some of my best memories from marching 16 years of junior corps were the parades. The three parades we did in WDW were awesome, since we got to spend the rest of the day in the park for free. The time we did a Fishing Derby parade at 6:00 AM on a Sunday morning was a riot. Watching people come out of their house in their bathrobes, wondering what was going on, was hysterical. Marching up 5th Avenue in NYC on Columbus Day, with the people 10-12 deep on the sidewalks, was an awesome experience. Yeah, there were the negatives, like having to walk backwards in a five mile parade at the age of seven holding up my cymbals for the snares to play on. That gave a new meaning to the word torture. But, there were alot of good times too.

I think there are two levels in this...parades in general versus specific parades.

In general, most of us hated doing them. We preferred competitions and saw parades as taking away from that.

In specific...there were parades we did like. The VFW Nats parade was good...in 1971 it was on some sort of delay on local TV, so when we got to our hotel after the parade, we saw ourselves marching past the reviewing stands.

Always liked the Wildwood parades at NJ VFW and AL States in June and September.