Cavaliers 2002

Mike I dont care if they played quarters. at finals I expect them to be clean. I listen to the 92 drum break, fuzz galore, and dont get mad, cause at least they were ramming. but to blow 8th notes at finals? I'm sorry, you dont deserve 19+ for yur number.

I couldn't agree more.

Facts

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the show to be kind of sterile, but I appreciate what the corps did and I think it deserved the win.

Blue Devils deserved best guard though.

You dont give a perect score for a visible mistake. Regardsless of how the numbers are asssesed, perfection is perfection.

Geoffrey

but Geoffrey, it's not that they dropped that guy, it's that they tried to catch him!!!

it's all about the attempt.

I always thought he was going for a drop kick on one of his fellow members, you know, fight club and all :)

You dont give a perect score for a visible mistake. Regardsless of how the numbers are asssesed, perfection is perfection.

*cough cough* 87 Garfield drums *cough*

I try not to over-analyze a show...if it hits my buttons, so be it. Gaines WAS on some seriouslygood crack when he wrote the drill, tho...probably one of my favorite visual books from him.

Musically what still blows my mind is the rock-solid brass whole notes on the last drill move when they're just hauling ###.

Personally, I've always thought this show was a tad over-rated.

Does nothing for me musically outside of the horns having good tone.

Noticeable ticks in drums and guard. I think the score was more a product of everybody else lacking. Not perfection.

Best way to watch this show: Hit the mute button and enjoy.

Personally, I've always thought this show was a tad over-rated.

Does nothing for me musically outside of the horns having good tone.

Noticeable ticks in drums and guard. I think the score was more a product of everybody else lacking. Not perfection.

Best way to watch this show: Hit the mute button and enjoy.

Good tone is an understatement. There were drum and guard problems, but find me a show that doesn't.

Cavaliers 2002 is probably still my favorite show of all time. I truly believe it is the best balance between music and visual that we've ever seen in drum corps. Both parts of the show are truly outstanding on their own right, but what makes the show even better than the sum of its parts is the fact that both the music and the visual are totally in sync, as well. They truly complement each other, from beginning to end, creating a complete package. "Complete package" is something of a cliche, but something I love about this show is the fact that it feels like on entire piece, the same composition from the opening line to the closing chord.

One of the biggest reasons for that is something that hasn't been mentioned yet: the transitions were flawless. Each idea is connected so well that there is no let-up at all. This gives the show a momentum that I feel every time I listen to it. Not everyone likes the show, and that's okay. No show will ever be universally loved. I don't care for Crown 2008, most of us have heard from people who don't care for Star 1993, and I've heard from some on this board who don't care for Madison 1995. As for me, though, I love the energy, execution and emotion that I feel every time I listen to Cavaliers 2002. I don't know how you could not get excited when you listen to the pure, triumphant statement of the melody as it rings out in the biggest hits of the opener, or during the entire closer when the momentum built up during the entire show comes together in a wash of sound and fury.