Wildwood Motel Still On The List

Once again, TripAdvisor.com rates the Eden Roc Motel in Wildwood, NJ, as one of the worst places to stay in the world.

The drum corps tie-in to this: The Eden Roc was a place to stay for various drum corps folks through the years, during the days of the American Legion States show/parade the weekend after Labor Day. For several years, a bunch of us from the Sunrisers would hang out in front of the Eden Roc and watch the parade. (Of course, by "watch the parade" I mean we basically drank all day and barely knew there was a parade going on....LOL)

Here's a sample of one traveler review for the Eden Roc from the summer of '08:

"Pure filth. Do not stay here, you're better served by sleeping in your car or sleeping underneath the boardwalk. When we first checked in there were no sheets or linens of any sort. The 'cleaning lady' looked like she was half in the bag. I swear she was drinking a cocktail when we met her." LOL!!!!!!

I am a bit surprised that the Econo Lodge near the Scranton baseball stadium hasn't made this "worst" list yet. That place is a horror show.

Fran

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fran do you think any of the bad rap had to do with the urinating off the balconies?????

Once again, TripAdvisor.com rates the Eden Roc Motel in Wildwood, NJ, as one of the worst places to stay in the world.

The drum corps tie-in to this: The Eden Roc was a place to stay for various drum corps folks through the years, during the days of the American Legion States show/parade the weekend after Labor Day. For several years, a bunch of us from the Sunrisers would hang out in front of the Eden Roc and watch the parade. (Of course, by "watch the parade" I mean we basically drank all day and barely knew there was a parade going on....LOL)

Here's a sample of one traveler review for the Eden Roc from the summer of '08:

"Pure filth. Do not stay here, you're better served by sleeping in your car or sleeping underneath the boardwalk. When we first checked in there were no sheets or linens of any sort. The 'cleaning lady' looked like she was half in the bag. I swear she was drinking a cocktail when we met her." LOL!!!!!!

I am a bit surprised that the Econo Lodge near the Scranton baseball stadium hasn't made this "worst" list yet. That place is a horror show.

Fran

"I am a bit surprised that the Econo Lodge near the Scranton baseball stadium hasn't made this "worst" list yet. That place is a horror show."

Ahh... something about the Econo Lodges on the east coast.

Years ago we went to Easton, MD (for everyone but Frans benefit that's on the Eastern shore) for our nieces baptism. Stayed at the Econo Lodge right off of Rout 50 and problems soon as we walked into the lobby. No one really spoke English and sis-in-law changed rooms three times because of the left over ciggie smell in the rooms. She kept saying "Non-smoking" and the clerk kept smiling, nodding his head and saying "Smoking". In our room the phone didn't dial long distance (before cell phones) and the office couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Best part was it was Feburary and the heat on two settings: Off and Blast Furnace. Nothing like getting up ever hour to change the heat because you either have an icicle on your nose or melting.

One of my ex co-workers had a summer place further down Rt 50 and soon as I said the name of the motel his response was "That ####hole still open?".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Fran do you think any of the bad rap had to do with the urinating off the balconies?????

Yeah, that might be a factor. LOL

In 1979, my Manville Crusaders buddy Jim Oakley and I stayed at the Eden Roc for the Wildwood weekend.

Well...actually, we were supposed to stay there for two nights, but that stay was shortened to one night when we got thrown out of the hotel.

It's a long story. :angry:

Fran

Can't wait to hear it. Is that what started you on the road to clothing artistry?????

Yeah, that might be a factor. LOL

In 1979, my Manville Crusaders buddy Jim Oakley and I stayed at the Eden Roc for the Wildwood weekend.

Well...actually, we were supposed to stay there for two nights, but that stay was shortened to one night when we got thrown out of the hotel.

It's a long story. :angry:

Fran

i've never been to the Eden Roc but can attest to the horrificness of the EconoLodge in Scranton.

OT to this...but recently I check Tripadvisor.com whenever I am going someplace. It has worked well for us the last three trips...to Jamaica and the Dominican Republic last year, and NYC last week.

You know, aside from managers who seemed to feel that kicking you out of your room at the slightest provocation and keeping your deposit was part of the vacation experience, the Wildwood motels were usually better than any accommodations we had on tour.

Guess it's all about perspective ... and dead brain cells. :angry:

Hey Fran! Next time you see Dennis M., the 'dozing bass drummer,' ask him about the NOVA in Wildwood. I think it might make the Eden Roc look like a resort by comparison!