Ever used a "cheater" mouthpiece?

audiodave

ok, i have to admit. I have a cheater mouthpiece. But i got it when i was looking into WArburton mouthpieces. I play all the time on my 2D cup, its alittle bigger than a 3C, and i use an open shank. But i have a smaller 2MC cup, that i got realy cheap at the time. I tried it, and it solididied my high range, but it didn' really add anything. But i had to use once at a concert. Becuase i had cut my lips real bad the week b4, and i didn't practice enough to keep my lead chops, so i stuck it on to give it a shot, and i survived the show, but not as nicely if i had used my 2D and been practicing for the week before hand.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm........back when I was playing my primary instrument (trumpet) more, I would fool around with a Schilke mouthpiece from time to time. Would love to score a JET TONE and try out for our upper lead sop section one of these seasons:)

I remember a 3rd soprano when I was in SCV in 1988 who used to sneak a Jet Tone into his horn during practice, Chris Nalls would usually pick up on some sort of inconsistency in the lower soprano sound, would break it down individually, and kept catching this kid playing on his Jet Tone when he was forbidden to do so. Regardless of how many pushups this kid got, eventually he would keep sneaking the Jet Tone back into his horn. Finally, we were in Oceanside, CA in an upper brass sectional, Chris Nalls noticed that AGAIN this kid slipped his Jet Tone back in! Well, we were practicing right near some sort of sheep/goat pen in a field..........Chris took the mouthpiece out of his soprano and CHUCKED it far into the pen, where it landed THUNK in the mud! LOL love that story........

I use an Asymmetric mouthpiece and it is definitely not a cheater mpc. This is a whole new design mpc based upon accoustical/physilogical studies. If properly played (and positioned on the lips) it does add 3 or 4 notes to your upper range. Moreover, it has a superb tone in the upper register and does what I would describe as "sings out". Unlike gimmick mouthpieces of the past, the Asymmetric has a wonderful tone in the lower registers and even with the pedal tones. One of the biggest plusses is the fact that it increases endurance for the player. I would suggest some of your check out this mpc. It took me a while to get the real hang of it, but by far it is the best mpc I have every used. Have used Bach 1, 1C, 3C, 7C 10 1/2C, Schilke 17, 18, 18D & 20 and this is better than anything else. A big full sound.

Hmmmm........back when I was playing my primary instrument (trumpet) more, I would fool around with a Schilke mouthpiece from time to time.  Would love to score a JET TONE and try out for our upper lead sop section one of these seasons:)

I remember a 3rd soprano when I was in SCV in 1988 who used to sneak a Jet Tone into his horn during practice, Chris Nalls would usually pick up on some sort of inconsistency in the lower soprano sound, would break it down individually, and kept catching this kid playing on his Jet Tone when he was forbidden to do so.  Regardless of how many pushups this kid got, eventually he would keep sneaking the Jet Tone back into his horn.  Finally, we were in Oceanside, CA in an upper brass sectional, Chris Nalls noticed that AGAIN this kid slipped his Jet Tone back in!  Well, we were practicing right near some sort of sheep/goat pen in a field..........Chris took the mouthpiece out of his soprano and CHUCKED it far into the pen, where it landed THUNK in the mud!  LOL love that story........

Chris caught me on a Dave Stahl Jet-Tone (a big Jet-Tone) on the first day of 10 to 10's when I marched.

Most of the upper leads, BTW, are playing on Monette MFII's (except Greg Potter who plays on a 3C) which are almost identical to the Bil Chase Jet-Tone I have. I compared the BC to Brian's (Hodgkins) Shilke 6A4A, and they were almost identical also. So Jet-Tone isn't neccessarily the worst mouthpiece out there but you can get a Monette and nobody will say anything.

Edited by ravedodger

I normaly play on a 1 1/2 c with the throat opened on it, and i can score the same notes as on my schilke 13A4A, but the reason i use the schilke is for the quality of tone and consitstency in the upper range. i dont see the big deal with useing one as long as you dont get used to it and burn out your chops. in jazz band i play the solo for mc aurther park that goes up to a "g" and everyones like, well, i could do that if i had a cheater, so i take out my 1 1/2 and do it again. you shouldn't use one if you can't play for a good 3 hours strait with out getting chopped. so i wouldn't recomend that kids use them durring middle school, and some high school, unless you are playing a lead solo.

One last thing, if you cant play the notes on a regular mouth piece, i dont see how you can consistently play them on a screamer. If you want to do something to build your chops without playing, take a pencil and hold it between your lips, but don't let your teeth touch it, after you get tired, move it up and down.

yours truly,

Chutley

Edited by chutley

Uh...you might wanna clean that out, buddy... :whip:

umm,, sorry, but assymetrics are like the pinnacle of cheater moutpeices, its not you that worked for the notes, its the mouthpiece almost like pinching your bottom lip to make it vibrat faster, without actually pinching or appling pressure. At least IMO.

Right now i play on a Kanstul CG3 gold plate, it is such a b*tchin mouthpiece, hardly a cheater ( little shallower than a 3c and a wider throat for more air baby) it is a 100 fold improvement over the 13,14,15a4a's i used to play on and even better more consistant range because you play the notes not the mouthpiece. I'll never go back to a tiny cup again.