2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

Um, why would they need a person dedicated to the "piano/synthesizer position" if it is only going to be used "very sparingly"?

Because they have 12 other people needed to fill the other spots, which will most likely not be used sparingly. Thus, they need another person. Also, it's a different technique, obviously. You need someone with drum corps-level skills on the ivories.

That's exactly what's wrong... can you see this conversation:

"Hey I'm John, I play center snare for BD, you are?"

"Todd, I play Piano"

Huh? :wall::tongue:

What?

yeah, you may be right about the b**** and moaning part...

and as your listening to the cool stylings on synthesizer make sure to tip the guy/girl on piano!

Extra points for guard girl dedicated to spending tour on top of the piano.

When people say they're afraid of synths, all I hear in my head is: "Oh no! Not ANOTHER sound to listen and enjoy!"

Seriously, mallet percussion sometimes can't replicate the piano sounds. So why not use a piano?

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the best part of all this:

The guys who always seem to sit near me and B**** and moan the whole show will stop attending and I will finally be able to sit and enjoy the program.

I know exactly what you mean. I think I may know that guy actually. He talked more than all the cadets narration combined, and none of it was interesting. Now that his corps is doing, hopefully he'll go away....

I clicked on this thread expecting bull ####... and I found it.

seriously people just shut up about it, we all understand your opinions on electronics.

dahhhh, I'll stop before I get banned. lol

seriously people just shut up about it,

Nice.

Um, why would they need a person dedicated to the "piano/synthesizer position" if it is only going to be used "very sparingly"?

Well, I would think that they want to find a high level piano player for the spot, though that person could also do other pit work when they are not playing the piano part if they have a long enough tacet section.

Cheers to the directors for finding new things to enrage the traditionalists so consistantly. I'd be pretty hard pressed for new ways to destroy your collective childhoods, but these guys are johnny-on-the-spot with these new ideas!

I, for one, hope they keep it up. Reading the complaining on DCP is sometimes almost as entertaining as actually watching drum corps, though I know which end of that spectrum most of you lean towards.

Yes, yes . . .everything is black/white. People should either embrace electronics or stop following the activity. DCP is nothing but people who complain. Everyone is old and dumb for not liking new things right away like I do.

Sorry, but when all you have for baseline examples are a few (and I stress few) high school units who have found effective uses in 20+ years of its legality there, you tend to kind of have a wait-and-see mentality towards things.

Forgive some people for being a little uncomfortable with the idea.

I think a more shocking announcement is going to be someone who ISN'T utilizing synths this year. In fact, I don't know of any of the top twelve that is not using a synth.

Wow, have you been at all 12 corps' camps already? Congratulations!

Seriously, I do know of one who has not yet brought out the synth yet at any camps. For the traditionalists, there still may be some hope.