Tour Horror Stories

Kiwanis Kavaliers unfortunate loss of a member in 2002 comes to mind.

It wasn't a marching member... it was a staff member.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kilties Sr had a member die on the field at DCA prelims a few years back.

Personally, I think this is in a a different league than a long bus ride.

RIP Lothar. :lol:

RIP indeed. Being at the gate waiting to go on that night was probably one of the weirdest ones I have experienced. The feeling in the air that night was something else. I can't put my finger on it. Going on after Kilties after the loss of Lothar wasn't something I felt very good about. We felt the impact that had being at the gate, but I can't imagine being on the field with him.

I heard a story that sometime in the 80's (?) a staff member of Blue Knights was on the tower giving instructions when a storm came rolling in and lightning hit the tower..

Any truth to this?

Spartans 07, our first show was right next to our home town so things went well there. After we left for new york the next night we lost our food truck. Now this is the horrible part, for our dinners for the next 5 nights we had olive garden, pizza hut, and chinese. It was horrible!

I heard a story that sometime in the 80's (?) a staff member of Blue Knights was on the tower giving instructions when a storm came rolling in and lightning hit the tower..

Any truth to this?

The storm came rolling in and after calling rehearsal the staff decided to turn the scaffolding on it's side so no one would get hurt by a lightning strike. This was in 1986 at the home rehearsal site in Denver and that moment almost killed the corps as much as the big bailout of 1985.

Tiny, scrappy Houston Nighthawks had our equipment stolen sometime after tour started in 1984. We did a few shows with borrowed equipment from Spirit, SCV, and Suncoast. (and I think maybe Blue Devils as well, maybe others that I don't recall or even know about.) We folded after our home show in July.

How about when the whole corps gets sick from some "bug" that someone picks up here or there. A week into tour you've got 15 members out of commission... sick on their sleeping bags with no energy, other members exposed and yet to get what ever it is.

We had a nasty bout of stomach flu like problems back in Guardsmen in 1979. It was pretty bad for a few days.

How about when the whole corps gets sick from some "bug" that someone picks up here or there. A week into tour you've got 15 members out of commission... sick on their sleeping bags with no energy, other members exposed and yet to get what ever it is.

We had a nasty bout of stomach flu like problems back in Guardsmen in 1979. It was pretty bad for a few days.

ya we had that same problem. . .we called it "the sickness." It was a problem because it made people puke for about a day straight, which made them dehydrated, and dehydration is never good in drum corps. A few members even had to go to the hospital. Luckily i never got "the sickness."