And the results are....

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that a good portion of the people voting are not familiar with 2003-2005. I have to question that because 10 of the top 15 are from 2006-2008, and only one show from 2003. Just a thought.

I respectfully disagree...I came back into the activity in 2004 after a nice long break...and the music sucked! Some exceptions, but the first couple years back were pretty ugly. I like to think that 2006 PR started the shift back to enjoyable music from custom packaged stuff. 07 and 08 have been much improved! IMHO.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree...I came back into the activity in 2004 after a nice long break...and the music sucked! Some exceptions, but the first couple years back were pretty ugly. I like to think that 2006 PR started the shift back to enjoyable music from custom packaged stuff. 07 and 08 have been much improved! IMHO.

I have a different view. First, surveys of popular opinion such as these will tend to favor the recent. Second, placing the most recent years in the most convenient position will tend to skew results toward the most recent by virtue of convenience. Those two elements combined all but assured that the hot corps of the past couple of years - PR and Crown - would get good returns.

HH

I'll agree with what glory said, and add a reply of my own perspective. I think 2003 is a vastly underrated year for drum corps. The top five were all fantastic, especially Vanguard and Phantom (admittedly with some sections of Cadets better than others, and Cavaliers works far better when viewed with audio and visual together). That was also the year I stood up and took notice of the Bluecoats, which a show that just got better and better as it went. Madison was back with a vengeance as well, with IMO the best show they've done this decade. Even the 13th place Blue Knights put out one of my favorite programs. That's the show of theirs that made me a fan, when I first saw it in Indy. So I hate to be the bearer of back news, but if you didn't come back until 2004 you missed one of my very favorite years. :smile:

I'd put 2004, 2005 and 2007 about on par. There were a few shows I liked from those years, but 2003 & 2006 are two of my favorites seasons ever. (FWIW, 1995, 1999 and 2000 would probably round out my top five)

I'll agree with what glory said, and add a reply of my own perspective. I think 2003 is a vastly underrated year for drum corps. The top five were all fantastic, especially Vanguard and Phantom (admittedly with some sections of Cadets better than others, and Cavaliers works far better when viewed with audio and visual together). That was also the year I stood up and took notice of the Bluecoats, which a show that just got better and better as it went. Madison was back with a vengeance as well, with IMO the best show they've done this decade. Even the 13th place Blue Knights put out one of my favorite programs. That's the show of theirs that made me a fan, when I first saw it in Indy. So I hate to be the bearer of back news, but if you didn't come back until 2004 you missed one of my very favorite years. :smile:

I'd put 2004, 2005 and 2007 about on par. There were a few shows I liked from those years, but 2003 & 2006 are two of my favorites seasons ever. (FWIW, 1995, 1999 and 2000 would probably round out my top five)

I enjoy 2003 but don't exactly agree with you.

I don't think is was underrated. Vanguard maybe. But certainly not Phantom. IMO 2003 Phantom is one of the most OVERrated shows ever. I agree about the Bluecoats. One of my fav Bloo shows. Scouts had a nice offering despite being VERY dirty.

03 was more boring than 04, and 05 was more boring than 03

Definitely not going.

I am not.I have seen these about a gazillion times on the file sharing networks.

And what happened to the real classics like 1975 scouts?

The countdown implies that DCP is a very small minority of the D&BC audience. There seems to be many people out there, blissfully unaware of the useful, relevant abstract thinkers of DCP.

I don't think it's so much DCP as it is "history of DCI". Most new fans aren't very aware of shows that were made before the year 2000 that don't include the usual 89 Vanguard...96/89 Regiment...93 Star...etc. I didn't find out about the legendary mid-80's Garfield shows until someone brought it up in a "Best of" thread here on DCP.

Besides, some new fans are probably only aware of those typical shows due to previous Classic Countdowns and DCP. (and various file sharing video sites...)

To be honest I'd drop the whole voting thing and only have shows most people don't watch very often, or haven't seen yet. The fans might not like it initially, but I think they'd come around and it'd be better for the activity. Also, I'd include non-finalist or Open Class shows. I've never seen the 92 SW show or the 97/98 Pioneer, and I'd gladly pay the money just to see something I've never seen before.

My line-up would be something like...

1978 Bridgemen

1984 Suncoast Sound

1988 Bluecoats

1993 Madison Scouts

1998 or 1997 Pioneer

1992 or 2000 Southwind

1999 Glassmen

1999 Cavaliers

2001 Holy Name Cadets

2007 SCV

Edited by NR_Ohiobando