Why Isn't There a Competitive DCA Corps in the Tri-State(Ohio,Indi

The thing that I don't understand is why a DCA Corps has not developed in this area of the country. I know Mini-Corps is DCA but I'm talking about a field Corps. There are groups that are in the area Cincinnati Tradition (OH), Derby City Knights (KY), Star United (IN). You have to travel to eiether New York,Pennsylvania,Tennessee,Minnesota to march in a DCA competetive Field Corps. People in this are a are :thumbup:LAZY :thumbup: when it comes to DRUM CORPS!!!!! (this does not include the people already involved with the three corps i mentioned). There are so many Music programs in the area its not even funny. I know that there are Alumnni of Corps out there that have had that urge to compete again. There could be a awsome DCA Corps that would come out of this area if only people would put aside diffrences and come together for the good of the activity. You need youth in your corps as well as older adults. This is not your grandfathers DCA any more. i hope that there will someday be a DCA Competitive Field Corps but the attitude needs to change. I know I might get some people angry with my comments but I hope some agree with me. This is my opionion and in !!!!NO WAY REPRESENTS THE ROCHESTER CRUSADERS OR ANY OTHER CORPS I HAVE MARCHED WITH!!!! Please let me know what you all think about this topic i brought up.

Edited by Forever_Knight

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that I don't understand is why a DCA Corps has not developed in this area of the country. I know Mini-Corps is DCA but I'm talking about a field Corps. There are groups that are in the area Cincinnati Tradition (OH), Derby City Knights (KY), Star United (IN). You have to travel to eiether New York,Pennsylvania,Tennessee,Minnesota to march in a DCA competetive Field Corps. People in this are a are :thumbup:LAZY :thumbup: when it comes to DRUM CORPS!!!!! (this does not include the people already involved with the three corps i mentioned). There are so many Music programs in the area its not even funny. I know that there are Alumnni of Corps out there that have had that urge to compete again. There could be a awsome DCA Corps that would come out of this area if only people would put aside diffrences and come together for the good of the activity. You need youth in your corps as well as older adults. This is not your grandfathers DCA any more. i hope that there will someday be a DCA Competitive Field Corps but the attitude needs to change. I know I might get some people angry with my comments but I hope some agree with me. This is my opionion and in !!!!NO WAY REPRESENTS THE ROCHESTER CRUSADERS OR ANY OTHER CORPS I HAVE MARCHED WITH!!!! Please let me know what you all think about this topic i brought up.

Someone would sincerely want to put in the time and effort (and funding) to make it happen, and it ain't easy.

That may be why many interested in strictly performing go to already established organizations; the groundwork has been layed, the administration is in place, staff in place, logistics, etc. etc..

The 2009 Kilties have members coming from all over the Midwest; Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, (Upper and Lower) Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. (and Scotland, now that's a drive and a half!!) That's one reason we follow a similar "off season" rehearsal schedule as the junior divison corps......one full weekend a month with a lot packed into every weekend, this keeps any member's travel expenses at a bare minimum. Plus we use the Internet quite extensively (internally) to keep every member on point and up to date performance-wise; including online video aids for things like guard work.

I have to agree with you. I think there would be more interest in this area if there were a DCA circut in the midwest for the corps to compete in. I know of a lot of people in the central ohio area the are interested in marching drum corps but dont want to travel to the east coast to compete.

Sure its fun to do exibitions, but after putting in all the effort and money......there needs to be competions to make it rewarding for a corps. Isnt that what drum corps about?

With WGI based out of Dayton, There are lots of programs with talented kids in this area.

I guess the question is........

Should DCA wait for alot of corps to start in the tri state area before they start a circut.....or should DCA start a circut for corps to develop in?

I have to agree with you. I think there would be more interest in this area if there were a DCA circut in the midwest for the corps to compete in. I know of a lot of people in the central ohio area the are interested in marching drum corps but dont want to travel to the east coast to compete.

Sure its fun to do exibitions, but after putting in all the effort and money......there needs to be competions to make it rewarding for a corps. Isnt that what drum corps about?

With WGI based out of Dayton, There are lots of programs with talented kids in this area.

I guess the question is........

Should DCA wait for alot of corps to start in the tri state area before they start a circut.....or should DCA start a circut for corps to develop in?

There already is DCA-Central. And it's unfolding to having at least 4 to maybe 5 shows this season. Three contracted for sure, and a couple more pending (from what I understand).

Empire hosted a great show in Salem, Ohio a couple years back.

No matter what, a corps is going to have to travel. Even the corps in the Northeast log a very good amount of miles a certain amount of weekends during the season; no corps is immune from that if they want to be on the competitive field more than once or twice.

Just a side note, we do have someone coming from Columbus, OH to travel to Lake Erie Thunder! He is more than willing in joining a carpool!

If you would like information, you can contact me.

Edited by Spaml6

additional Side note:

As well as Lake Erie Thunder having a carpool going to there camp, the Rochester Crusaders also have a van that travels from Ohio as well. We have members from Michigan and all over Ohio meeting up for the ride to Rochester. Anyone else that is interested please contact me and we can get you in contact with that as well.

Just a quick clarification:

DCA does NOT go out and start circuits. Our resources and personnel are VERY limited...

That being said, in the past Ohio has had a rich drum corps history... It is also in a geographic location that really works well... allowing any corps forming in Ohio to go either direction for shows - Traditional DCA shows in the near northeast (Erie & parts of PA and upstate NY) or DCA Central shows as near as MI...

Let's form ONE successful competitive corps in Ohio before we talk about Ohio Circuits...

Edited by TomPeashey

Of the corps you mentioned in your post

Cincinnati Tradition (OH), Derby City Knights (KY), Star United (IN)

All of those corps have worked really hard at laying the foundation for putting together a competitive field show.Not speaking for any of those organizations but the problem has been in recruiting.They are simply not putting together the numbers required to make it to Rochester.

Starting a drum corps is no easy task.Keeping it progressive is even tougher. With today's economy and the job market the shape its in we should all be happy that drum corps is surviving.

Just a quick clarification:

DCA does NOT go out and start circuits. Our resources and personnel are VERY limited...

That being said, in the past Ohio has had a rich drum corps history... It is also in a geographic location that really works well... allowing any corps forming in Ohio to go either direction for shows - Traditional DCA shows in the near northeast (Erie & parts of PA and upstate NY) or DCA Central shows as near as MI...

Let's form ONE successful competitive corps in Ohio before we talk about Ohio Circuits...

Well that answers my question.......thank you.

Edited by chefoh