Mello Solo Greatness

Bonnie Ott with the Blue Devils made a comeback last year with the Renegades man can She make that horn sing.

Bonnie was turning heads and pleasing ears with the Stockton Commodores for a couple of years before moving to BD. And with all respect to Barb, Bonnie's in the Buglers Hall of Fame.

Garry in Vegas

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say this thread can be closed. The top 3 for me would be...

Bonnie Ott with the Blue Devils

Barbara from the Cadets

and the 1988 Madison Scouts Malaguenia finale

All were mentioned within the first three posts.

Case closed!

Bonnie Ott on Chase the Clouds away may be my favorite, but the young person who played on Cadets' 95 "Born on the Fourth of July" was exquisite, or at least her playing was.

For old timers, try Dirty Eddie Lawrence, Steve Buglino, or Pete China, Sky '75, Sun '65, and Sun '76, '77.

Oh and Westshore's Sylvia (can never remember he last name) but no mello discussion should leave her out, whether you're talking DCA, DCI, or anything else.

Reopen the thread - it's not quite closed, I think.

I guess I'm chiming in a bit late here but I remember a mello soloist from Florida Wave who sounded pretty darn good and nailed it on the recording I have somewhere. Anyone remember who this was?

CM

post script...found a cool link to 88 Fl Wave on youtube ( the song is the first one on part 2 )...go check it out

Edited by scout9193

The song is This Masquerade.

North Star played it a few years earlier with Gerry Noonan doing the solos on a sop.

I like this arrangement as well.

Edited by dckid80

1977 Blue Stars "Backwoods Sideman", Mello and sop duet I think. It was in a class by itself, better IMO than Ott in "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor"

same year. And then he topped himself in the closer of "If You Believe".

1978 Blue Stars again with "Backwoods sideman" and followed by the closer of "Come In From the Rain".

I'm thinking the Blue Stars mellophonist in 77 won individuals.

Bonnie Ott on Chase the Clouds away may be my favorite, but the young person who played on Cadets' 95 "Born on the Fourth of July" was exquisite, or at least her playing was.

For old timers, try Dirty Eddie Lawrence, Steve Buglino, or Pete China, Sky '75, Sun '65, and Sun '76, '77.

Oh and Westshore's Sylvia (can never remember he last name) but no mello discussion should leave her out, whether you're talking DCA, DCI, or anything else.

Reopen the thread - it's not quite closed, I think.

And the next time you talk to Ed Lawrence (he used to crack me up with the way he used to sing parts he'd sound just like the horn - had a wicked vibrato, too.) ask if he remembers me. I'm sure we marched together for at least one year either before or after he went to the Kingsmen or before or after he went to the Sunrisers.

Puppet

And the next time you talk to Ed Lawrence (he used to crack me up with the way he used to sing parts he'd sound just like the horn - had a wicked vibrato, too.) ask if he remembers me. I'm sure we marched together for at least one year either before or after he went to the Kingsmen or before or after he went to the Sunrisers.

Puppet

Puppet,

I don't think Eddie ever played with Sun, I think you mean Sky. He went from St Catherine's to NY Kingsmen when St Cat's broke up and then to Sky. Still playing with Sky Alumni too! And I'm sure he remembers you. I'll check with him on Saturday.

Ray

Old? I had already stopped marching by then! :worthy:

For old mello solos...

The guy who played the "Hang em High" mello solo in Blessed Sac 1969...I think his name is Eric Schweikert.

Another one I still remember was the mello solo in the Elizabeth Polish Falcons closer in, I think, 1968, the Beatle's "Michelle".