A question about Mini Corps

Hi all,

I've searched through the forums and can't actually find an answer.

What are the requirements for mini corps? Is it 21 members minimum, or 21 horns?

Is guard allowed to participate in mini corps, or just brass and drums? I know the stage is kind of small, so I'm wondering what the deal is. I know mini corps used to march, but the past few years seems like it's all stand still.

Thanks!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I've searched through the forums and can't actually find an answer.

What are the requirements for mini corps? Is it 21 members minimum, or 21 horns?

Is guard allowed to participate in mini corps, or just brass and drums? I know the stage is kind of small, so I'm wondering what the deal is. I know mini corps used to march, but the past few years seems like it's all stand still.

Thanks!

12 minimum, 21 max performing members,................. any combination of brass, percussion and/or guard,............this does not include a stationary honor guard or non performing DM,.................anything under or over the min/max is a DQ.......................

some stand still... but most use some movement to enhance the music... improving overall effect...

military bearing...

1. A Mini Corps is defined as a minimum of 11 participants and a maximum of 21 participants.

2. If a Drum Major is used, he/she is not counted as one of the 21 participants. He/She may not play an instrument unless the total number remains at 21.

3. There will be a one (1)-point penalty for each participant under 11. No Corps allowed with over 21.

4. Any combination of DCA approved horns, percussion instruments and guard equipment may be used.

5. The time limit is 5 minutes minimum and 10 minutes maximum.

6. There will be a one (1)-point penalty for each minute over or under the time limit.

7. Time starts from the first note and ends with the last note.

8. Music scores DO NOT need to be presented to the judges.

9. NO tape music is allowed.

10. An “A FLAG” section (honor guard) may be used and not counted as part of the 21. However if any member leaves the “A Flag” section to perform, he/she will be counted as a participant and included in the total numbers of performers, which shall not exceed 21.

11. A Performance Agreement document must be completed and signed for each participating Mini Corps. This requirement will be waived for a Mini Corps, which is covered by a Performance Agreement submitted by an All Age Competitive Corps or an Alumni Corps.

12. A Mini Corps must present proof of a one (1) million dollar liability insurance policy, under which Drum Corps Associates is identified as an additional insured. This requirement will be waived for a Mini Corps, which is covered by an insurance policy submitted by an All Age Competitive Corps or an Alumni Corps.

13. A Mini Corps must provide proof of music clearance.

11. A Performance Agreement document must be completed and signed for each participating Mini Corps. This requirement will be waived for a Mini Corps, which is covered by a Performance Agreement submitted by an All Age Competitive Corps or an Alumni Corps.

12. A Mini Corps must present proof of a one (1) million dollar liability insurance policy, under which Drum Corps Associates is identified as an additional insured. This requirement will be waived for a Mini Corps, which is covered by an insurance policy submitted by an All Age Competitive Corps or an Alumni Corps.

OK, I'm out of my hibernation with two questions as 11/12 are new to me.

What's a Performance Agreement? Think I can guess but.... why guess...

How bad is the cost on a meg (million for you non computer geeks) of liability... Ouch!!!

Edit (cuz I forgot :thumbup: ) - thanks Chris and Gary.......

OK, back to this flippin' database fix.... :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

...........mostly legal stuff, liability, DCA recording stuff including copywrite and licensing requirements,.........etc

How bad is the cost on a meg (million for you non computer geeks) of liability... Ouch!!!

well, if the minicorps is an ensemble from a full fledged corps, DCA or Alumni, you could be covered with that groups liability policy,.........Erie Thunderbirds have had the same carrier for 18 years with a clean track record,:thumbup: .........our policy costs about $350.00 for the full corps for the year................... :thumbup:

Edited by Gary Matczak

OK, I'm out of my hibernation with two questions as 11/12 are new to me.

Edit (cuz I forgot :thumbup: ) - thanks Chris and Gary.......

OK, back to this flippin' database fix.... :thumbup:

Jim....if I'm correct...#11 refers to "rights to arrange and perform.(basically copyright clearance). That's just the first half of #11. The balance of that AND #12 have always been in place. (basically liability insurance releasing DCA (and others) of certain responsibilities. I think.

I'm sure Gary M. or Tom P. will eventually come on here and explain it better.