A question about Mini Corps

This is a problem I have with the "NEW" version of Mini Corps. It seems for Better or Worse, that the NEW version is really just a "Mini Brass Ensemble" with a single person Drum Set. Guess I will never be the Big on Evolving thing. Oh well, guess that's the way things are.

You are correct, OldStyleCorps. Some of the mini's are really a large brass ensemble with a set drummer. (That's all we are, with CB!) For some of us, it really fits our membership, and is also (IMO) a good fit for a non-marching corps (like ours) intended for Alumni-types who are retired from, or unavailable for, the field corps activity.

However, if more groups gravitate toward a true "mini field corps" with battery, guard and movement, then groups like mine would be less of a fit and would maybe look for another venue. Those that want this can simply program movement and a real battery into thier presentations and thereby influence where it's going. OR, lobby DCA and other organizations to award more credit for those aspects, to encourage them, and thereby discourage the standstill stage-band types.

I realize that we barely fit the category, as it is. At Bridgeport, we competed (pretty succesfully), as a Mini-corps, with 11 brass and a drummer. :thumbup: I don't expect us to be any model for an evolving Mini-corps activity, or even know how long we'll participate, but it does give us a category to compete in. And we enjoy and appreciate the opportunity.

The nice thing about the category (IMO), is the LACK of restrictions and requirements. It lends for a variety of approaches, and an interesting and entertaining genre.

Edited by brassomaniac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a problem I have with the "NEW" version of Mini Corps. It seems for Better or Worse, that the NEW version is really just a "Mini Brass Ensemble" with a single person Drum Set. Guess I will never be the Big on Evolving thing. Oh well, guess that's the way things are.

not in Erie it's not,...................each and every year we use battery and pit percussion,...............always have, always will,.......................

You are correct, OldStyleCorps. Some of the mini's are really a large brass ensemble with a set drummer. (That's all we are, with CB!) For some of us, it really fits our membership, and is also (IMO) a good fit for a non-marching corps (like ours) intended for Alumni-types who are retired from, or unavailable for, the field corps activity.

However, if more groups gravitate toward a true "mini field corps" with battery, guard and movement, then groups like mine would be less of a fit and would maybe look for another venue. Those that want this can simply program movement and a real battery into thier presentations and thereby influence where it's going. OR, lobby DCA and other organizations to award more credit for those aspects, to encourage them, and thereby discouroge the standstill stage-band types.

I realize that we barely fit the category, as it is. At Bridgeport, we competed (pretty succesfully), as a Mini-corps, with 11 brass and a drummer. :thumbup: I don't expect us to be any model for an evolving Mini-corps activity, or how long we'll even participate, but it does give us a category to compete in. And we enjoy and appreciate the opportunity.

The nice thing about the category (IMO), is the LACK of restrictions and requirements. It lends for a variety of approaches, and an interesting and entertaining genre.

There is no place on the present sheets to get credit for guard, and even percussion has its limitations as to where and how much to credit. If there is a drum set that wails or a drum line that wails, it is worth the same. So it always goes back to the horn line and effect. DCA doesnt want to change that nor should they IMO.

The Ghost Riders tried using a small color guard and props... Erie uses a small drum line. Neither one got any type of credit for it. There is no place to credit it. Visual Enhancement is mentioned on the sheet but isnt a subcaption per se. It may break a tie perhaps with mini corps that very much in the same scoring neighborhood, but realistically there is no credit AREA for using guard or a drum line versus a great set drummer. Star United uses a concert type percussion section and have won the mini corps Championships for 3 years running...food for thought?

The sheets that are used to judge mini corps are the Music Effect sheets that DCA uses for the competing corps on Saturday nights in the summer. We were able to tweak them a tiny bit last year, but they are still the Music Effect sheets. There are no areas designed to consider ensemble or execution. Those areas are supposed to be understood while judging effect, but being super clean does not beat super exciting. Then again, with Star United, super clean IS super exciting.

Just so you know when designing your show.

Donny

Excellent synopsis, Donny.

Thanks!

There is no place on the present sheets to get credit for guard, and even percussion has its limitations as to where and how much to credit. If there is a drum set that wails or a drum line that wails, it is worth the same. So it always goes back to the horn line and effect. DCA doesnt want to change that nor should they IMO.

The Ghost Riders tried using a small color guard and props... Erie uses a small drum line. Neither one got any type of credit for it. There is no place to credit it. Visual Enhancement is mentioned on the sheet but isnt a subcaption per se. It may break a tie perhaps with mini corps that very much in the same scoring neighborhood, but realistically there is no credit AREA for using guard or a drum line versus a great set drummer. Star United uses a concert type percussion section and have won the mini corps Championships for 3 years running...food for thought?

The sheets that are used to judge mini corps are the Music Effect sheets that DCA uses for the competing corps on Saturday nights in the summer. We were able to tweak them a tiny bit last year, but they are still the Music Effect sheets. There are no areas designed to consider ensemble or execution. Those areas are supposed to be understood while judging effect, but being super clean does not beat super exciting. Then again, with Star United, super clean IS super exciting.

Donny

Donny

Well said my friend. The system that has been in place since 1993 has not only worked really well but mini corps' has also grown within the same system. ....."if it ain't broke.....yada, yada,..etc.

What's the entry fee for competing in Mini Corps at Finals?

One hundred samolians

One hundred samolians

Plus ... I believe you must have performance rights to the music you play ... but, I'm not sure about that ...

:-)

Mini Corps expenses:

Right to perform and arrange Music

Million dollar insurance waver

100$ entry fee

Buying the I&E director a drink is optional

Edited by Rap48

Mini Corps expenses:

Right to perform and arrange Music

Million dollar insurance waver

100$ entry fee

Buying the I&E director a drink is optionsl

Free: Our Arranger is a member of the Corps who has composed original pieces for us this year.

$500:We can get liability insurance for a period of 12 months for $500.00.

$100:The $100.00 dollar entry fee is better than I heard.

The source I heard the $800.00 number from must have been including all the above as expenses to get a Mini Corps in the contest.