Slow or "Tag" Endings

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorites were

1988 Blue Devils

1993 Bluecoats

These were real tag endings since the show ended and the corps started leaving the field only to have the hornline come back in. BD even had the Bass playing taps as they started leaving the field. Bluecoats just had the pit playing as the corps left then the hornline turned and played a tag.

I really liked the vanguard 06 tag drill.

I am unabashedly biased but I don't think anyone does subtle endings like SCV. Ending soft is like walking a tightrope without a net. If it doesn't work completely its a a death sentence. One of the scariest moments in my marhcing years (SCV '90-'92) was the first time we did the tunnel ending in Buffalo. By finals night, the crowd knew what was coming and we knew it was working. At quarters on Friday night, however, you could hear a pin drop in the stadium as we (the pit) played our last notes and waited for the hornline's answer from off in the tunnel. We did not even know if it would be audible and I could feel the crowd's confusion as everyone ran off the field.

The crowd's eventual positive response that night was relief unlike anything else I've felt durng a performance.

Definitely SCV 2000 and Crossmen 92.

If there were any shows in the history of DCI that would be defined as "Perfect", it would include these 2.

....sans "Crystaaaaaaal" and "Crossmen Drumliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine"

funny!!!!

That stupid "Crystaaaal" is why I prefer the State of the Art version instead of the finals recording. Wit the "studio" recording you miss the non-tarded crowd responses but that yell makes my spine spin around when I hear it.

1992 Crossmen until "it" happens.

Meh. The original ending to that show was far superior, in my opinion. Still a down ending, but the "earth" never broke apart to form the question mark. It just continued floating across the field and OFF the field and the chords at the end actually resolved. I was a bit disappointed when they changed it, but I guess by then they had made the commitment to a part 2.

BD 04 when they just marched on out of the stadium...that was pretty nifty also

BD 04 had a better soft ending prior to finals, when the train would slow to a stop as it came chugging into the station.

I am unabashedly biased but I don't think anyone does subtle endings like SCV. Ending soft is like walking a tightrope without a net. If it doesn't work completely its a a death sentence. One of the scariest moments in my marhcing years (SCV '90-'92) was the first time we did the tunnel ending in Buffalo. By finals night, the crowd knew what was coming and we knew it was working. At quarters on Friday night, however, you could hear a pin drop in the stadium as we (the pit) played our last notes and waited for the hornline's answer from off in the tunnel. We did not even know if it would be audible and I could feel the crowd's confusion as everyone ran off the field.

The crowd's eventual positive response that night was relief unlike anything else I've felt durng a performance.

How did that ending go before Finals week?

And let's not forget that they followed that year up with another "softie" ending with the choppers for the Miss Saigon.

Others that spring to mind:

Boston, 2007

Vanguard 1993- still the best "marching exit" I've ever seen.