Will the colts be this years bluestars?

Ummm, design choices that are better suited to get them into the 1989 finals than 2009?

Poor staffing at key positions?

Just a couple that immediately come to mind..

I don't think the Colts will ever be "this year's Blue Stars". And its really not the kids' fault. There are some super talented kids there, but there are flaws within that organization that will not allow them to make that push. And its too bad too, because that Corps should have been "this year's Blue Stars" a long time ago.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then as an educator you should know the original post wasn't accurate in their desciption. It's not too much melody - it's the abundance of simple melodic lines with little to no rhythmic challenges. You know, as opposed to the Blue Knights who offer the complete opposite

Combine the two and you have a succesful modern day porgram.

Too much melody? Hmmm....

I not defending this past years Colts...or any others, even though I was around for a couple recent years...

I get worried about the educational validity of the activity when I see a comment about too much melody.

Rhythm- Melody- Harmony- Texture- These are the 4 elements of music. I worry that organized sound effects has replaced actual literature.

I am old...

1.The Colts will be this year's Colts and Blue Stars will be this year's Blue Stars

2. I would be shocked if Colts were not in finals with their show this year, but it is highly unlikely they will make the jump to 8th.

3. Colts have changed their approach to design. It won't be an issue this year. Show tunes and corny band-o type shows are part of the Colts passed now.

4. Blue Stars' show last year was easily one of the most band o shows I've ever seen. They can be successful.

5. Whether or not Colts make finals or not, people do like them. They may not be "Drum Corps Regulars," but I would bet a drum corps virgin would leave a show more likely to have liked a Colt's show more so than a Blue Knight's show. Nothing against Blue Knight's, but they simply tend to do more sophisticated and "out there" shows" that are less audience accessible.

Edited by RedPhantom25

Entertainment wise, I agree that the fans get a much more comprehendable show out of the Colts ( how many times have we watched a drum corps perform, then sit back, scratch our head, and say,"HUH?!") On the other hand , is it just my thoughts or do the Colts tend to "peak" a little too early in the season? :withstupid:

Entertainment wise, I agree that the fans get a much more comprehendable show out of the Colts ( how many times have we watched a drum corps perform, then sit back, scratch our head, and say,"HUH?!") On the other hand , is it just my thoughts or do the Colts tend to "peak" a little too early in the season? :withstupid:

Amen.

Colts didn't peak. The staff thought that constant changes would keep the crowds and judges interested. It worked to a point, but then the members became overwhelmed. On top of that the brass book was destroyed by the original caption head. What audiences heard at semi-finals from the Colts was an entire summer of trying to build up to the original book. There were other aspects of the show that were cut that I personally felt were assets to the show. The opening drum feature was too difficult to begin with. instead of starting easy and working its way up, it started too hard and become and dumbed down version. As a result the drum entrance entrances in the opener (Night and Day) and the Bernstein medley were almost identical. When the drum scores started to drop because of this, the staff decided to cut the drum feature all together and, as a result, 32 set drill feature of jazz running was cut before most people saw it. Though the color guard was the most solid section of the corps score wise, they originally had much harder work. The opener was completely on swing flags, but was, once again, cut before most people saw the show. These are just a few examples. Last year was a mess design wise and from the judgement of the staff. It won't happen again.