Will the colts be this years bluestars?

How can Colts and Blue Stars be compared?

Colts have over the past 10 yrs or so been in and out of finals......this is the FIRST year for Blue Stars in longer than 10 yrs.

I have since 1979(my intro into DC) been a fan of Blue Stars and very proud of their accomplishment in '08

Looking forward to Colts returning to the top 12 in '09

P.S. I hope they both shake up finals!!!!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is crown the new star?

Is Blue Stars the new crown?

Is Blue Stars the new Star?

:smile:

I don't think the Colts will ever be "this year's Blue Stars". And its really not the kids' fault. There are some super talented kids there, but there are flaws within that organization that will not allow them to make that push. And its too bad too, because that Corps should have been "this year's Blue Stars" a long time ago.

Quite an interesting statement. I would be interested in hearing what you think are the flaws in the Colts organization. Flaws? You mean like how they have an organization that brings nearly 400 kids every year into the world of performing arts (Colts, Colt Cadets, their summer band program, and youth choirs)? Or maybe you are referring to the corps marching in the Presidential Inaugural Parade representing Iowa.

Wait, I know, it's that a vast majority of kids who march at Colts choose to age-out with them, rather than go ring chasing.

I've been extremely impressed by how this group is run. Greg Orwoll continues to be a prime example on how to run a corps. They are competitive without sacrificing their identity or mission, and if that means tetering on the edge of the top-12, so be it. However, I also know that there have been some tweeking of staff and design, which should translate into a product that balances competitiveness with maintaining their overall identity.

My point: I hope the Colts continue their mission of putting together a first-class organization where kids can develop, grow, and prosper in art...and, into their future.

To paraphrase the Outback Steakhouse slogan: No Flaws...Just Right.

Sorry, but none of those things is what I was referring to. You do understand that the thread is about whether the Colts will be a breakout group and climb to a single digit finish and be the surprise group of the summer. No one ever said that the Colts don't do great things for Iowa, or that they are a bad organization or anything like that. All of the things that you said about what the Colts do are great, but they don't answer the thread question. The Colts are a very solid organization with a lot to offer and with a lot of good things going on, but when it comes to their A corps field performance, there are things that have gone on with them that don't allow them to push through those walls that periodically occur during the summer, and that results in an early peak, or a plateau of the field product. So if we are addressing the thread, you aren't anywhere close, and your over aggressive defense is simply unnecessary.

Sorry, but none of those things is what I was referring to. You do understand that the thread is about whether the Colts will be a breakout group and climb to a single digit finish and be the surprise group of the summer. No one ever said that the Colts don't do great things for Iowa, or that they are a bad organization or anything like that. All of the things that you said about what the Colts do are great, but they don't answer the thread question. The Colts are a very solid organization with a lot to offer and with a lot of good things going on, but when it comes to their A corps field performance, there are things that have gone on with them that don't allow them to push through those walls that periodically occur during the summer, and that results in an early peak, or a plateau of the field product. So if we are addressing the thread, you aren't anywhere close, and your over aggressive defense is simply unnecessary.

The thread question is not the applicable. I don't know of any world class corps who is currently emulating another still functioning corps just to have a better finals placement. I doubt the Colts would do anything to emulate the Blue Stars. Identity and the experience are a little more important than finals placement. So as much as people want (or don't want) the Colts to have a jump in placements, they should be able to make the move on their own terms, without being compared to another corps.

In a succinct answer to the thread question: I don't think so. Why? I don't know. I will wait patiently for whichever corps has the imagination to be the next Star of Indiana. IMO that's something to aspire to. Somebody's got to step it up to the next level.

Puppet

The thread question is not the applicable. I don't know of any world class corps who is currently emulating another still functioning corps just to have a better finals placement. I doubt the Colts would do anything to emulate the Blue Stars. Identity and the experience are a little more important than finals placement. So as much as people want (or don't want) the Colts to have a jump in placements, they should be able to make the move on their own terms, without being compared to another corps.

Ok do you really think the thread title was meant to be taken literally? Well for your sake let's re-state it as " Will the Colts accomplish a push into top 12 with an 8th place or better finish like the Blue Stars did last year?" Like that better? OBVIOUSLY the Colts will not try to "be" the Blue Stars in 09. Sheesh.

Edited by BozzlyB

...didn't read past page one...

Has anyone gone off on the fact that there are several new corps to concern themselves with in their strata? Or several "has-been's" they have to leapfrog in order to make finals? I believe it is the same argument I made against Blue Stars a couple of years back.

Colts have to worry about Crossmen, Spirit and Scouts before you start talking BS...pun intended. If you can't pass Crossmen, you're not going to pass Blue Stars. Stars tagged Blue Knights several times last season and really gave Knights a run for their money all season.

Colts are looking at 12th and no higher...they would have to be having an ungodly off season for me to even think they had a chance at 12th, but I've heard that line about that corps before. "Having a great off season!" Yeah...so's my mama.

Crossmen nearly pushed into finals last year in their 2nd season in Texas. Scouts made it back and dang sure don't want to give up finals so quickly. I'd be concerned about where Jersey Surf places this year before Stars if I'm in Iowa.

I thought Colts were really impressive...what?...two years ago? REALLY impressive. Just shows that carrying it over one year to the next at that strata can be the difference between 7th and 14th.

Great things going on south of Colts in the placements, too. Teal coming right along behind Bob & Co. for the move to WC. Others interested. Middle of the lineup is pretty impressive in DCI right now. Could things change? Sure. Doubtful.

You're absolutely right. Colts do need to worry about Crossmen, Spirit, and Scouts, but so do Blue Stars. That is what some of us are saying. Colts are more consistent finals contenders than Blue Stars. Were they better than Colts last? Absolutely. Will they in all likely hood be ahead of colts this year? Probably, but it's hilarious that all of a sudden raving about Blue Stars. Colts jumped from 13th in 2006 to 10th in 2007 and back to 14th in 2008. This sort of stuff happens. if you're going to give Blue Stars a chance then Colts should be given a chance as well. I know a lot of people think Blue Stars have a better staff, but Colts aren't exactly lacking in that department either. Bob Smith is the visual caption. He made Phantom Regiment's visual program. Michael Cesario is the show designer. Michael Lentz is on guard staff. Chris Tomsa is the arranger. These are big names.