Best Third Place Show?

93 Phantom

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man being a brass lover, this is a hard choice between 88 BD and 90 Star, but I gotta go with 90 Star. Just so much color and control and subtle expressiveness.

93 Phantom

04 SCV

1990 Star of Indiana

The year they said to the rest of the horn world 'Mene, mene, mene tekel upharsin'

And even if Cassandra herself had put in words what was to come, none would have seen the writing or heard the Prophetess!

Puppet

As always, another tough one to answer.

There are so many great shows in each of these categories, and 3rd-place shows certainly have their share.

Take the 1980 Bridgemen who redefined entertainment with their antics, but also their excellence. There is Garfield in 1982 showing us what was the come and how the activity would change over the next decade. A personal favorite of mine was Santa Clara 1984, wow, what a great show. You have the Cavaliers in 1989 doing John Rutter, Phantom in 1991 doing Opera, and Star in 1992 giving us Americana like we'd never seen before. You have the Cadets in 1996, who many thought might win had it not been for an entire week off tour for the Olympics in Atlanta (they were only .3 behind BD after semifinals). You have the Cadets also giving us Maleguena in 2003 and only being .1 behind the 2nd-place Cavaliers. You have Phantom Regiment giving us one of the more beautiful version of Gershwin's "American In Paris" and you have the Blue Devils "Godfather" show in 1996. And what the Cavaliers did with their Samurai show last year was amazing.

However, here are my contenders:

Blue Devils - 1988

Star of Indiana - 1990

Phantom Regiment - 1993

In many ways, the Blue Devils of 1988 were the most proficient of the group. The sheer excellence of their horns and drums, their spot-on marching and technique, and the show was highly entertaining, although not quite to the level of SCV in 1988 or Madison.

Star of Indiana was a model of complexity and musicality. The demand was there and the show was certainly one of the all-time greats in drum corps. Horns and drums were right there with BD 88, and drill was better. Overall show was complex and on par with some of the most difficult things we have seen in this activity.

Phantom Regiment 1993 may not have started as strong as did BD 1988 or Star 1990, but by mid season you could see that the show would be special. By finals week it ended up being one of the great shows of the season and had Star and Cadets not been so strong, Phantom might've won the title. Horns and drums were outstanding, although maybe not to the level of BD 88 or Star 1990, but real close, and the overall demand in the show was outstanding. What gives this show an edge, in my mind, is general effect and design. This is where it stands above the others.

My vote: Phantom Regiment 1993

JW

Edited by jwillis35

Didn't even think about this one... Blue Devils 1988.