Blue Devils 2009 Show Announcement

Sweet, one person out of one hundred and fifty blue devils did something nice that night

Wow. Someone has some hatred :worthy:

On topic: Anyone go to their last camp? Any leaks :smile:

Edited by littlebirdy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Someone has some hatred :tongue:

On topic: Anyone go to their last camp? Any leaks :devil:

I got word back from their camp, from one of the guard members.

She said it is very jazzy.

There will also be chairs used this year. I am not crazy about that, but I will give it a chance when I see it.

I do like that it is a very jazzy show though.

as far as "chop and bop" goes...I have my definition and thoughts on that, that might shed some light...

people in this thread have said that Appalachian Spring, Channel One, Strawberry Soup, etc., are horrible examples of chop n bop, and started back in the 80's. Well, the first time I heard Appalachian Spring, or Channel One, etc., were on the drum corps field, so they weren't chop n bop to me.

Drum corps opened up a world of music to a lot of us. Stuff we would never and had never listened to before was being played for us on the drum corps field. It was new, and we had no previous experience with it.

Nowadays, we (the people that experienced these previous unbeknownst chop n bop specials) have a broader musical vocabulary. We know songs now before they come to the field. We know Whitacre, and Tichelli, etc, and with the advent of youtube, we can quickly access any new music without shelling out cd/cassette money to hear it.

We hear Vesuvius on youtube...or we download it illegally. We listen to it. Drum corps takes it, re-arranges it, and plays it on the field. We all think, ewwwwww....they really chopped and bopped that one.

A lot of fans of drum corps are music people...teachers, players, etc. They know all about the pieces being played on the drum corps field before they are played. They know Strawberry Soup is 18 minutes long, or however long it is. However, a lot of fans of drum corps are NOT music people. I don't teach music, or play music on a frequent basis. Sure, I was in the band in high school, and that's probably what got me interested in the first place. What drags people like me in is the music...and the music isn't complete without that great, recognizable melody. Music majors can discuss the flowing thoughts of a dark, minor key piece, but fans like me want a nice, strong lengthy melody line.

Another thing is...more recent music, to me, is just not as melody oriented. Whitacre and Tichelli boor me to tears. Today's newer music is then arranged even more when drum corps get a hold of it, and it becomes "32 counts of transitional music followed by a chord stinger." That's what I call chop n bop.

Music, to me, can be rearranged and shortened without becoming chop n bop, as long as the melody tag line is still prevalent through the piece. Crown 08 for me epitomizes this...their entire show was horribly shortened pieces of music, but what remained was the "essence" (melody) of the song, so, therefore, wasn't chop n bop in my mind.

no melody = chop n bop (especially if played at 180bpm while the corps is marching some insane drill)

Edited by skewerz

Just enjoy what BD does. No matter what they play, they play it with control, good tone quality and have that charisma that says; at the end of the day, no matter what the score is, we did what we did way better than everyone else.

Love the use of negative space and the repetition of shapes in the "1930". Very art deco.

http://www.bluedevils.org/programs/a/2009/...how_web_600.jpg

Ah. A visual statement. I will postulate that the block lettering denotes strength in the blue. The guard will be spotlighted wearing hot pink with splashes of yellow and yellow glitter costumes, (unisex hinted by split faces) with 1930's doo-rag style headcovering. Art Deco styled equipment is suggested by the overall composition of the graphic.

Musical accompaniment will set the stage for Blue Devils 2009 to present one of the strongest visual programs they have ever attempted.

All this in a little graphic :tongue:

EDIT: spelling, though it may still be incorrect

Edited by Mellofello01

Just enjoy what BD does. No matter what they play, they play it with control, good tone quality and have that charisma that says; at the end of the day, no matter what the score is, we did what we did way better than everyone else.

Exactly. :)

Oh, this is going to be one of the best BD shows ever. The corps was made for this theme.

I recall saying the same thing back in '06, as did many other people.

We won't know nuthin' until Finals night.

I began watching DCI on PBS in the 70's (I'm old). My first live Finals was 1980 in Birmingham. I became an instant fan of Spirit of Atlanta (Georgia)

for the wall of sound. Madison for the outstanding guard (and Ice Castles). And the Blue Devils for the incredible brass sound, precision drill &

attitude. I lost track thru the years except for the audio recordings of those three shows. I played them for my son thru the years on cassette & then copied

onto cd then now on ipod. I attended my second DCI finals 25 years later in Foxboro 2005 to watch my son march in Finals. I now have watched him

march finals night 2005,2006,2007,2008 and am eagerly awaiting his corps production in 2009.

There was no dcp in 1980, no internet chatting, text messaging. We discussed each show/corps in high school. Here we dissect each show

starting on the the release of generic pictures, titles, etc. months before even songs are announced. So, let's keep this in perspective.

We all have a favorite corps. It may be one you marched, one your kid marches, or one you saw in Birmingham in 1980.

All I know is as soon as I got back into DCI I ordered the DVD from 1980 and revisited that night. I found that I enjoyed all 12 performances

each in its own way. Funny now I find I enjoy parts of EACH corps performance all summer long. I enjoy each corps because of what makes

them special.

Over the last 25 years I have seen Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Bruce Spingsteen, Kansas, Chris Botti, Sting, Chicago, Cher, Tina Turner, Cher,

Maynard Ferguson, Barry Manilow, Gap Band, Johnny Mathis, Metallica, Linkin Park, Van Halen, AC/DC, Blood Sweat & Tears, Josh Groban, etc.

I enjoyed each of them because of what they did well & loved them all(talk about all ends of the spectrum).

I may be partial to the corps my son is currently marching but last year was an amazing summer of many incredible performances.

I just hope he ( and you other folks) can find something you like about each corps perfomance this year and 25 years from now like me.

Here's to looking forward to the three corps I fell in love with in 1980 & every other corps marching in 2009.

(I will of course yell loudest when my son's corps is on the field) :tongue:

I got word back from their camp, from one of the guard members.

She said it is very jazzy.

There will also be chairs used this year. I am not crazy about that, but I will give it a chance when I see it.

I do like that it is a very jazzy show though.

Can't be any worse than the pink picnic tables, and even those were actually used pretty well (I just wasn't fond of the color). What I'm curious about is whether this something like 1992 when they used the big freakin' dice for all of 20 seconds. If you're going to use the prop, USE it and really incorporate it.

Personally, I'm not opposed to props on the field. Santa Clara used them very effectively in shows like 1986-1989, 2004, etc.

I look forward to seeing how they'll use this.