Best Company Front

Much as in pains me to say

1987 Garfield WOW!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen Brother! Seems like some little corps (Aneheim Kingsmen, Troopers, Mighty Saint Joe's, etc. etc.) could really march.

BTW, I believe that was Phantom.

Uh-huh! Troopers patented it. Early sixties - a 50 yard company front (the entire corps!) from the one to the fifty and a pinwheel to face the stands! Virtually every drill instructor who saw that said: "Well we can do that!" Many in the east emulated but never perfected that move. Let me add to the list: The Crusaders, Blessed Sac, St. Lucy's Cadets, St. Joseph Patron Cadets, Trumbull Troubadors to name just a few more - all in the late sixties early seventies. There are pictures posted on the > Historical Junior Corps Discussions - some old corps photos topic. I'd estimate there are well over a 1,000 photos of Drum Corps BITD on that thread - and with well over a million views (1,338,315) easily the single best historic compilation of our history just about anywhere on the planet.

And yeah, Garfield '87 did a great job, too (the Copland Tune?) - course they go back to the sixties, too!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Time began before 1980, I swear - ask anyone.

And on the same token, good stuff came after 1972, I swear-ask anyone (well, almost). It's even possible that opinions people have posted about company fronts after 1980 are at least somewhat valid and stuff.

I have to say that the Cadets have to be the masters of the company front, hands down. The older folks can say what they will about it being the corps from BITD, but you can't top the Cadets. 1987, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2007, all perfect.

'87 is the classic, '95 had the company front with the Iwo Jima flagraising, 00' just had the amazingness of that ending, 2007 was so intense with the way they were playing and held those intervals.

So I have to go for '98 for pure perfection. I don't think you can find better foot timing across an ensemble at one moment than during that move.

But what the Cadets did in 07, hitting that line at a one-step interval at that speed while playing never ceases to amaze me.

I have never, NEVER, seen feet that clean at that speed in bright pants...say what you will about the narration (and I hated it), but that front and the closing of the show was vintage Cadet awesomeness!

Vanguard's swerving company front in 2004's Scheherazade certainly comes to mind.