Has drum corps arranging changed over the years?

you can hum 88 BD. you cant hum much of 07 BD

This is the most scientific thing in this thread so far.

Just so everyone knows... we define melody and theme in my college theory and history classes as something hummable or singable.

But then again... it is all theory.

anyway, I like the information this thread provides. OP did a great job.. I applaud you.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which do you think people could hum more of - Mahler 5 or Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl?" Obviously a slightly ridiculous analogy but it's somewhat valid. . . "hummability" doesn't necessarily mean something's better or worse than something else.

And, for what it's worth. . . I had the low brass Pegasus ostinato stuck in my head for quite some time in 2007. . . does that count as melody?

Edited by TSRTS13

My definition of hummable is something I can remember hum or whistle for a good long time after hearing it for the first time.

I shouldn't count though... the general public, who we should be entertaining should tell us what they think hummable is... I think Bartok is very hummable :worthy:

Is OP taking requests? I would very much like to see this sort of analysis of Crown's show last year. I consider Finis very "hummable" and 4th place is nothing to shake a baton at.

Which do you think people could hum more of - Mahler 5 or Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl?" Obviously a slightly ridiculous analogy but it's somewhat valid. . . "hummability" doesn't necessarily mean something's better or worse than something else.

And, for what it's worth. . . I had the low brass Pegasus ostinato stuck in my head for quite some time in 2007. . . does that count as melody?

No - it's ostinato. I think.

And I could do twenty or more minutes of Mahler's Fifth without breaking a sweat...I know not this "Katy Perry" of whom you speak. :worthy:

Hummability is not the sine qua non of a piece of music, but it is an element which some people look for. Probably the folks who would rather listen to Katy than Gustav.

Kudos to OP for a nice approach to going beyond a subjective, "It feels choppy" statement.

My experience with shows the last few years has been a general disatisfaction with the music-follows-visual design approach. I believe that this results in a general lack of thematic development which many of us define as choppy. Even in segments of shows which are close to the orignal works for periods, there seems to be a dearth of developed (or develop-able?) melodic material. For instance, although I do appreciate some Tichelli works on the field, many do not lend lemselves to capturing the casual (read "non-music major") listeners' attention with clear and memorable melodic statements.

To provide a reference point for my opinion, I am a product of early/mid 80's DCI and was lucky enough to experience Jim Prime/Thom Hannum leading musically and George Zingali interpreting visually. Certainly these arrangers chopped up original works but they and Gail Royer and Wayne Downey and others of that period led the listener's emotional involvement with tension and release centered around melody and melodic/harmonic development. It seems that tension and release in many more recent shows are driven by a road map of effect points achieved visually and supported by whatever musical "effects" best help drive that visual road map. Still very exciting but, for those of us who are MUSCIALLY driven. less intimately emotional. Of course that is just my perspective and I recognize that many others love the "chop and bop" shows of the last 6 years. I certainly will not argue that they are better or worse. Just different enough that musically, they leave me wanting.