2009 DCI Fan Network

A couple of questions for recent subscribers...

1) I work a lot of nights. Do they replay the current year shows in the days following a live stream?

2) What, if any, Open Class shows do they show?

BTW, I remember the 900CANDRUM line. I would hold a portable cassette player upto the phone so i could listen at leisure, and in case I missed something. I also got real good at navigating the phone menu to minimize charges.

Garry in Vegas

Garry, the email indicates that you will be able to see the tentative live stream schedule before committing to subscribe. The trend over the past three or four years they've been doing this is that they've been adding more shows to the schedule each summer, but with the economic situation, that may not be the case this year.

EDIT: In most cases, they have NOT made live stream shows available for later replay-- you either had to watch it live, or you missed it-- but there have been exceptions, particularly when there's been a last-minute schedule change or when there were technical problems. Last year, there were very few glitches and very few complaints. It really ran very well. Some smaller shows have been available for viewing on your own schedule that were not streamed live, particularly west coast shows; in one or two cases, I think they streamed multicam and made high cam available for later viewing... something like that.

Last year, I think the only Open Class shows they streamed live were from finals week. For World Class, I think they did all the major regionals including afternoon prelims and finals, EXCEPT for Allentown, which they have not been able to show for technical reasons. They streamed (or made available for later viewing) a few smaller shows, too. Something was available most Saturday nights during the tour up until the last two weeks of the season. For World Class on finals week, the live stream schedule only included Friday semis up until this year.

Edited by Peel Paint

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI needs to add a BUY NOW button, to allow us to buy corps gear at a discount only when they are performing live, maybe 30% off, once there done with their performance, its back to regular prices...now that would be cool

In most cases, they have NOT made live stream shows available for later replay-- you either had to watch it live, or you missed it-- but there have been exceptions, particularly when there's been a last-minute schedule change or when there were technical problems. Last year, there were very few glitches and very few complaints. It really ran very well. Some smaller shows have been available for viewing on your own schedule that were not streamed live, particularly west coast shows; in one or two cases, I think they streamed multicam and made high cam available for later viewing... something like that.

This wasnt true for last year. All the shows that had webcasts were made available for viewing within a day or two afterwards last year.

1) I work a lot of nights. Do they replay the current year shows in the days following a live stream?

BTW, I remember the 900CANDRUM line. I would hold a portable cassette player upto the phone so i could listen at leisure, and in case I missed something. I also got real good at navigating the phone menu to minimize charges.

Garry in Vegas

last year the shows were up to watch "on demand" (aka, whenever you want) soon after the show.

I do not think there were any open class shows... but I might be wrong on this.

Garry in Vegas

1) Last year they replayed most, if not all, of the shows after they streamed live. Usually, if I remember correctly, they had it available to view later on only as a high cam. Most of the time the shows were up within a few days of the stream, sometimes quicker (I think there were some shows that they were adding a few hours after the performance. So you would be watching, say, Crown live, and Colts were already posted from earlier).

2) I know in the past they have streamed Open Class semi's (or maybe prelims). Other than that, it's mainly whatever Open Class corps are at the shows they stream live. Early season you might get Open Class corps if they're at the show (for example, all of the early California shows, the Denver show, I think the Madison show, etc), but once we hit mid-season it's mostly the big Regional shows they stream, which are exclusively World Class

For what it's worth, last year seemed to be the year DCI had finally gotten all of the tech stuff dialed in, and the year was mostly a huge success from the live streaming standpoint. I've subscribed since year one, and this is the first spring that there is no doubt I'm getting the service again based on the previous year (in the past, I usually held off until the Saturday of the first live stream). There is still quite a bit of room to grow, but DCI is on the right track and I look forward to this season!

1) Last year they replayed most, if not all, of the shows after they streamed live. Usually, if I remember correctly, they had it available to view later on only as a high cam. Most of the time the shows were up within a few days of the stream, sometimes quicker (I think there were some shows that they were adding a few hours after the performance. So you would be watching, say, Crown live, and Colts were already posted from earlier).

That's right, perc2100, soccerguy, and allarson, I remember now and stand corrected. That is what they did. For some of the major regional shows last year, I recall now, they streamed them multicam and then left high cam only up afterwards. In previous years, you had to see it live in most cases, but not last year.

Edited by Peel Paint

59 bucks!? Sweet!

This is the third year in a row they have improved the quality of the service AND lowered the price! GJ DCI thanks.

I have also been impressed with the live streaming events the last two seasons. I have bought individual live events but have not subscribed (I attend a good amount of shows).

Could you post the 'Live stream event" schedule when you receive it ? More than likely you will receive an advance email from DCI......

Thnks

I have been a subscriber, and a critic, of DCI's Fan Network since it's first year (whatever it used to be called). I've been very vocal about DCI's deficiencies, and their past problems with live streaming. I watched every live stream last year, and I don't think there was one issue all season (for the first season ever). I mainly have gotten Fan Network SOLEY to watch live streams. It's nice to go back and watch old shows, but I don't do that much at all. So for me, it's ALL about the live streaming.

I have been very impressed with DCI's growth and improvement with their live streaming over the years. The price of the Season Pass is VERY reasonable, as the price for my wife, son, and I to go to ONE drum corps show is easily between 45-70 dollars (three tickets, food, etc). I very much look forward to see what DCI does this season

I have been emailing the support people for Fan Network for a month or so now, trying to get them to fix all of the 2008 Bloomington videos. When you click on one of them, the Allentown video pops up instead. I emailed them like six times, and only got a response on my second email. The videos still haven't been fixed and its been almost two months. With this kind of customer support and response to problems, what does that say about how much they really care?

I have been emailing the support people for Fan Network for a month or so now, trying to get them to fix all of the 2008 Bloomington videos. When you click on one of them, the Allentown video pops up instead. I emailed them like six times, and only got a response on my second email. The videos still haven't been fixed and its been almost two months. With this kind of customer support and response to problems, what does that say about how much they really care?

Well, I'm not a spokesman for DCI, and don't know all the details, but one thing I do know is that they've been steadily preparing for quite a few months for their final transition into the permanent facilities. I also imagine that the economy forced them to reduce some staffing. Also, the e-mail referenced in the initial post indicates that they have been working to improve the current interface, which likely means they have not been able to dedicate as much time to their archive of videos as of yet. Thus, they may not have had the resources to respond in the most convenient timeframe, from both a human and technological standpoint. We have to remember that they are a non-profit with limited resources in a niche activity.

I'm not saying it excuses every mistake they make or condones not responding to one of their customers, but I also think it's a bit of a reach to assume that because they didn't respond yet, they don't care.

I'd say your best chance is to wait until the season starts and they have at leasta fairly regular and dedicated staff loading and analyzing videos. They'll be more apt to respond because they'll be looking at the actual content of the product more regularly instead of focusing on just how it looks.

Edited by pags