DCI and Social Networking

I saw a feeder ad on Facebook for the DCI Countdown on Facebook this morning. It was nice to see DCI leveraging Facebook ads and I know they already have a fan page. I think this is a good direction for DCI to spread the word virally at a fairly low cost. I am not a tweep personally (well at least not yet) but I think a twitter feed of some of the bigger regionals and DCI should be in order if it is not already on the agenda. They should also take a look at Friendfeed as well.

Another good idea is to encourage each corps to create unique alumni spaces for each year using Facebook, or reunion.com and use this as a means to gather and energize the alumni base for support and fund raising. Just a suggestion

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just joined twitter b/c my corps got an account, and it seems that most of the drum corps are on there... so I'm following Spirit/Blue Stars/Cavies/Crossmen/Spirit/BK/Phantom/Crown/Madison/PC/Surf/Troopers/Cadets/Pio/Bluecoats/Vanguard/Crusaders/Colts

... I'll see what they do with it.

Edited by soccerguy315

DCI is on twitter-->Here

and here (for some reason).

I work in social media, specializing in online communities and leveraging existing channels (like facebook and twitter) for major brands and i'm always a little disappointed at how slow dci has been to pick this up. i sometimes wish i had the bandwidth to take them on as a pro bono client, but honestly, even if i had the time i wouldn't, i've worked with people in the past who weren't invested in the projects success and it tends to be a failure. still, if anyone knows of a drum corps that wants to improve their social media footprint i'd be willing to at least shoot them a couple of ideas.

it seems as if DCI needs to hire someone who has more than a marketing degree to get the word out. they need to either be a passionate fan or fmm or both!

thats a question that a lot of people debate in social media: what's more important, passion and knowledge of the brand and it's niche, or expertise in using the tools. i come down on the expertise trumps passion side---honestly, dci is populated with passionate fans and fmm's who don't know much about efective marketing techniques already, hiring another to fill a slot they need a ral expert in isn't going to create any real change.

it seems as if DCI needs to hire someone who has more than a marketing degree to get the word out. they need to either be a passionate fan or fmm or both!

Isnt DCI's head marketing guy Bob Jacobs, director of Jersey Surf?

I would bet there are few, if any, people working for DCI who are not passionate fans and/or fmm's.