Economy Effecting DCA Corps Memberships

Here ya go:

Help the Crusaders and other competitive Corps by coming to our show on July 11th!

Auburn, NY 7pm.....Holland Stadium

Get tickets at: www.crowntickets.com

Attending this and as many other DCA shows as possible is a perfect way for you to show your support to the growth and success of this activity.

Go here to see the full schedule and contacts for all DCA competitions this summer: http://www.dcacorps.org/schedule.html

-----------------------------------

Public Relations

Crusaders Drum & Bugle Corps

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't just mean Fla. How about Tenn?.

as another drum corps representative has told me when asked about participation in an "out of network" contest! ...

SHOW ME THE MONEY

sorry thats the way it is!! Thanks for playing though! :lol:

But as Mr Hobart (Mr??? :lol: ) so eloquintly put it... "Attending this and as many other DCA shows as possible is a perfect way for you to show your support to the growth and success of this activity." AMEN!!!

Edited by hurcwave

Jeff;

The Wichita area is really hurting right now, and it is only getting worse, as the aircraft industry dominates our economy here and always trails the general economy by 6-12 months. So far, Cessna has laid off over 7,000 people, HBC around 3,000, and the subs like my company another 10,000 or so. In an area of less than 500,000 people, that is a big hit. Most of us that are still employed have taken substantial pay and bonus cuts (can you say 45%?), which is causing people to cut way back on non-essentials such as drum corps.

In the future I would be interested in helping lead an effort to start an all-age here in Wichita, but at the present time people are more worried about keeping their houses than marching in a corps.

Yea, I heard the larger aircraft are not selling. Are some of the Aircraft Layoffs due to retooling? I know when I lived there they would announce 3,000 layoffs and hire everyone back after the line was retooled for a different model aircraft.

Wichita is going to have to bring in another industry besides aircraft.

All Age Drum Corps in Wichita would really be cool.

Won't happen.....unfortunately! Corps won't make the long trek to Florida because that would mean they have to take off more days. I know, the southern corps do it all the time. Unfortunately, northeastern corps haven't had to travel anywhere but the northeast and aren't about to change. I do know that some corps made it to Carolina though.

It isn't a North vs. South thing... every corps is trying stay as close to home as possible. For corps that are near other corps and have a local membership base, that's an advantage.

And to take it even further, "Northeast" is actually two separate groups: the NYC to Philly Group (CT, Cabs, Bush, Bucs, etc), and the CNY to WNY Group (Empire, Brigs, Cru, White Sabers, etc). We're lucky that corps like Empire, Brigs, and Cru have developed a base that can host shows. Just like the "Metro Coastal" corps can have shows in NJ, CT, and Eastern PA.

BUT here's the possible silver lining: More show sponsors are utilizing Alumni Corps, Mini Corps, and Ensembles. I don't know how that fits into the "DCA Sanctioned" category, but I think it's a potential opportunity for South and Midwest corps.

You can create your own market. Don't wait for 9 DCA Judges to come validate your gig, make it your own. Even if it's one DCA corps. Have an "Evening with the corps" show. Invite local bands, parade corps and even Black College bands or ensembles. (I ain't kiddin', if Empire were based in GA or Florida, we'd be pounding the phones to get grads from Florida A&M, or Southern, or any of those schools... make your corps attractive to those kids, I'd love see what the activity could become with that influence mixed in).

Make your "Evening with the corps" show a fundraiser for your "Trip to New York for the World Championships." (You don't have to tell them it's only WNY).

Youre right Tom...around here there is Empire, Cru, Brigs, White Sabers, now there is another Erie corps and then there is St Joes, Optimists, Scout House, the Militaires, and a lot of street groups, mini corps Ghost Riders and Erie, and Ensembles like Prime Time Brass and the Hitmen. The High School bands in this area that look awful good in the parade last Saturday.

You should be able to come up with a show out of those choices.

Donny

I know the local corps has lost members due to the economy. Not necessarily personal finance reasons, but more of a new job and no accrued vacation days to facilitate this years participation.

Youre right Tom...around here there is Empire, Cru, Brigs, White Sabers, now there is another Erie corps and then there is St Joes, Optimists, Scout House, the Militaires, and a lot of street groups, mini corps Ghost Riders and Erie, and Ensembles like Prime Time Brass and the Hitmen. The High School bands in this area that look awful good in the parade last Saturday.

You should be able to come up with a show out of those choices.

Donny

Yea, it's great to be in this area for those reasons. However, it makes recruiting and retaining members very difficult. Everyone wants to be in the top 5 corps, even our home town players. All you corps out in the boonies, sometimes a little distance is a good thing...... oh yea, they offer them "staff" positions so they don't have to pay dues or work bingo, give them gas money etc. They know how to work it....

Edited by Mike_B

I know the local corps has lost members due to the economy. Not necessarily personal finance reasons, but more of a new job and no accrued vacation days to facilitate this years participation.

Now there's something that the government should nationalize - vacation accrual.

My intent was to simply ask the question. We have all seen the effects of the poor economy all around us. I was wondering (with no preconceived notion) if it was having a negative effect on drum corps rosters. I have no agenda in asking the question.

And despite the hysterics by a few - I consider it a reasonable question.

The economy sucks, people are losing their jobs left and right, and if you factor in the drop in the value of the dollar ... EVERYTHING is more expensive.

I don't know anybody who is losing their job because of the economy. Lets not exagerate. You're the doom and gloom guy sounding hysterical. If they do, they'll have to get another I guess.

Edited by Mike_B