Economy Effecting DCA Corps Memberships

We were at 25 in September and October 2008 as our web site pistures indicate (a Prairie Sound Record) and hovered around 21 until March and then the plumet began again like last year.

Looks like a lot of everything helped our numbers drop: Unemployment, Business Downsizing, other previous commitments, some downsized employers forcing the still employed to work more hours, travel time for some and life changes for others such as new babies.........Gas prices hovered under $2 dollars a gallon in our Metro areas so that was not as bad as last year.

What really hurt was losing everyone from the Wichita area due to the above issues. There is definatly interest in Wichita if a leader will emerge and start a Corps there. I think a local Wichita all age Corps would work.

We ended up losing 10 people by May 2009. We are starting to get inquiries again and will move forward on local momentum

None of this is new to Drum Corps. I've seen senior corps lose entire sections mid season. We just took our losses in mid stride before the season. Seems to always happen when we mention putting movement with the Music.

We are regrouping and should find out this week who is with the program and who is not. We will move forward from there.

We will look at our ability to field an exhibition unit for July and August and should know where we stand this week or next.

We plan on appearing in 5 Local parades from August to October and end 2009 with our Annual Salvation Army Kettle Drive Ensemble.

We will be working on Building the Drum Line During Parade Season.

(Note: We will play our show music after every Parade to entertain the crowd.)

Next year:

We will be starting the 2010 Season with camps in Jaunuary and February presenting the "Full Package" to the corps. We will work on the book and start putting drill on the floor immediatly. Dues will be due at the 1st two camps and Local appearances will begin in February. We will be competing in the SDCA Indoor "Arena" Circuit. If things go well early on, we will schedule an evaluation from DCA and appear in our DCA Region.

SDCA is our main choice due to the Circuits friendliness and proximity to our area. We are considering hosting a two show SDCA weekend in the KC metro area.

Our plan is to field a Mini Corps for SDCA shows from our pool of members and then pull everyone together for a DCA Appearance in our region.

What good came of 2009 so far: We have two sets of music to pick from for 2010 and have enough equipment to field a good size Corps. We have the nucleus of a good Color Guard Unit and will be adding Mallet instruments to form a small pit section.

We are also getting the beginnings of new inquiries and will be hitting our natural recruiting season in August. Seems like people wake up here in July and interest is real active until November. Spring is our biggest hurdle.

Our Units: In 2010 we will be offering participation in 3 different Ensembles.....Field Corps, Local Jazz/Blues Ensemble and Local Parade Corps.

Thanks,

Jeff Dancinger

Prairie Sound!!!

Edited by Kansan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of DECIDING THAT WE WILL and a large part of DEALING WITH IT and getting marching members to BELIEVE THAT WE CAN and THAT IT'S ALL WORTH IT and that they should GIVE EVERY OUNCE OF THEMSELVES and whatever else anyone wants to put into all-caps for emphasis, is recognizing the realities and circumstances of the various difficulties and opportunities that come along in any given season.

The only real way to DEAL WITH bad news is to ADMIT THAT THERE'S NEWS IN THE FIRST PLACE, and be open to the possibility that it MAY BE CONSIDERED BAD. Acting as if there is NO bad news, or even worse, shooting in the general direction of people who might be wondering if there's news and if perhaps it could possibly be somewhat bad maybe, does nothing particularly useful. It can even lead to some spectacularly bad business decisions, which have been known to kill corps.

Is it possible the economy is affecting membership numbers? I'd say "yes", from what I'm seeing, that would be an accurate guess. Best thing to do is recognize the possibility, and deal with it as it effects each of us.

i agree 100%. no news isnt always good news, and sometimes corps not admitting where they stand can hurt them more than help them.

I'm sure it may affect attendance at shows too. how many people out of work across the country? I'm still on the fence about a show i usually attened just because of my job issues and needing to priortize finances.

pay a bill, or go to a show...hmmmm.

and while i am sure corps are willing to work with members on fees, if someone is unemployed, they may not be able to pay the corps, which hurts the corps. i saw first hand what cutting breaks to membership can do to the books

There is no way I could consider marching this year without the help of some really good friends and strong infrastructure with the corps.

See you all on the 50

My intent was to simply ask the question. We have all seen the effects of the poor economy all around us. I was wondering (with no preconceived notion) if it was having a negative effect on drum corps rosters. I have no agenda in asking the question.

There's a problem with the economy? When did this happen? I got gas last week for $1.98...oh...but last night I got it for $2.55...hmmm. Not to worry though our government will fix it all up in time for drum corps season.

So, when did this economy problem begin anyway? Last time I recall, Clinton had things running well...hmmm. This could be another Dan Brown novel, what an idea!

The funny thing about all of this is that the Cabs Alumni have their biggest corps ever perhaps (or close to it), including people from all over the country and many members from Canada and they show up every week.

Donny

as someone with a little bit more knowledge about drum corps' situations than some... I refuse to submit to a blanket "economy will ruin the season" statement... that being said... it's going to be interesting... corps have reacted to situations - shows closer to home, perhaps some choosing to march a few less members, some late recruiting issues... corps are doing what they must...

My concern will be at the turnstyle... and this is where each of you who are not marching can help... GO TO SHOWS... go to as many as you can... support the contests... it's that simple... YOU have the ability to insure that this summer will be productive and that 2010 will be better... now there I go - what an easy marching order - telling everyone on her to go to contests and support your local corps - preaching to the choir... but seriously - do it - make a conscious effort to attend one more show than normal... be able to say YOU made a difference...

As for the quality of the corps - it'll be fine... I look at the list and I honestly feel that where everyone is at right now is quite normal... some in great shape, some struggling - go figure! Isn't it always that way? However, I must point out that it appears we can't help but break the 26 corps record number. From that I can only determine that the health barometer of the corps - overall - is very good indeed.

there aren't enough worthy's for the last paragraph of your post Uncle Tom!!!